Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

interior paint color?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 78Suburban, Mar 9, 2006.

?

What color Appliance paint insde the burb?

1. black

5 vote(s)
    31.3%
  2. white

1 vote(s)
    6.3%
  3. off white

2 vote(s)
    12.5%
  4. don't use appliance paint

2 vote(s)
    12.5%
  5. leave it nekkid

6 vote(s)
    37.5%
  1. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

I'm probably going to start sanding down the inside of the :burb: and painting it. I'll prime it with some rustoleum auto primer I have laying around, then I'm going to get some Rustoleum Epoxy Appliance paint (freezer, washer, ect ). The paint will be glossy, and should hold up really well. What color should I choose? Has anyone else done this?

2. chopped&bobbed77burb

chopped&bobbed77burb 1/2 ton status

I vote olive drab base and spot's of random brown , black and light brown . It's called camo and it hid's dirt and body damage well :D . I did vote nekid though .

3. 78Suburban

guess I'll flip a coin or something, lol. I'll post up pics and show how it turns out. I would love to hear from anyone that has used this paint, I've heard some good things about it on here before. :p:
    thanks,
    James

4. Kyle Strong

Kyle Strong 1/2 ton status

brown...from mud!:D

5. norville

norville 1/2 ton status

A stones throw from Pargon Mountaintop Pa
    I have that paint on my oven and stovetop. Works exelent no peels or problems. I have no complaints 6+ months. As you know prep is key. Go with 2-3 coats. It is tuff, although with enough heat it will stain.

I have been following your build up, I have a 77 3/4.

bob

6. 78Suburban

awsome, what color did you use? Is it very easy to clean? I still can't decide which color would look the best inside the burb. I suppose its best to prime the surface before you use this paint?
    thanks,
    James

7. norville

norville 1/2 ton status

A stones throw from Pargon Mountaintop Pa
    I used almond to match my refridge(it was yellow). I didn't prime it I just cleaned 30yrs of grease off it. Using simple green and a scotch bright pad. I sprayed it in my unheated garage @ 40 deg's. Still it came out awesome. It's very forgivable but stinks to high heaven. We (ahem my wife) cleans it without forgiveness plastic brillo and grease and grime cleaner.

I darkened an area with scalding hot fryer grease. It's held it's own and did not bubble or flake.

I didn't expect much, although it saved me about a grand in appliances by painting it. I didn't see to many colors to choose from.

bob

8. 78Suburban

http://www.rustoleum.com/product.asp?frm_product_id=33&SBL=1

I didn't realize it was offered in 5 different colors. I'm open to suggestions about different paints to use on the interior of the burb, but this seems like it would be decent quality for the money. The fact that it is glossy would make me think mud would wash off better.
    thanks,
    James

9. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

I used the appliance epoxy on my cage. Of course, like an idiot, I used white ... so it shows all the fingerprints from some idiot swinging on the cage like a monkey. :rolleyes:

However, it's held up well to scratches and general abuse, more so than your regular rattlecan stuff. I imagine that if/when the cage contacts rocks the paint will lose :D but that's okay.

I've also used that stuff on a truck box, and it came out well, durable, nice looking. Bit harder to paint even coats than the standard stuff, I think, but that may just be my impatience.

And since you're doing the interior, for god's sake wear a respirator. Epoxy boogers take FOREVER to come out and you can't breathe. Don't ask me why I know this :haha:

(Epoxy in the nostril is better than Herculiner on the hootus, though!)

-- A

10. 78Suburban

AWSOME ADVISE! Got any pics of the cage? Close ups of the paint? Did you use primer?
    thanks,
    James

11. 78Suburban

TTT
    I went by the local Wal Mart today and all they have is the white color. I'll probably pick up 2 or 3 cans, the first of next week. I would still love to hear from anyone else that has used Rustoleum Epoxy Appliance paint.
    thanks,
    James

12. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Well, in general the advise to keep toxic chemicals off the hootus is awesome :haha:

Umm, more usefully ... yes, I primered the cage with the Rustoleum gray stuff, their regular auto primer. I also use the brown 'rusty metal' stuff on my arms and knees, unintentionally, and on older metal that's been rusted, like the aforementioned truck box.

Pix ... lessee... I don't have any closeups of the cage to show paint quality ... actually, lack thereof, as it's an amalgamation of a Smittybilt front cage, some random aftermarket rollbar, and various pieces I added (mostly straight, with a coupla pieces I paid a guy to bend for me.) Here's what I've got ... came out pretty good. I did scratch it putting it in, but I did it solo, so using the cherry picker ... well, it's not a PRECISION process, you know?

Anyway, prep is key. My cage I did ... "good enough", but if you're worried about appearance, particularly for interior, sand, sand, and sand some more ... then primer and sand, sand, and sand ... then paint. I seem to recall some nice bodywork threads in the Body Shop or whatever that forum is for people who have intact trucks ... obviously it's not so much of a concern for me :haha:

-- A

cage-in-garage-1.JPG

cage-primer-2.JPG

cage-hanging-to-paint.JPG

tire-mounted-to-cage-4.JPG