Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Interior panels

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by elwhitey, Oct 8, 2005.

1. elwhitey

elwhitey Registered Member

I have just pulled out the vinyl side panels out of the bed of my '74 Jimmy. I am applying herculiner in the morning and would prefer to replace the vinyl with sheetmetal that I can herculine as well. Does anyone offer these as a prefab or will have to have these cut to spec?

2. original balzer

original balzer 1/2 ton status

alot of people use wood paneling or diamond plate alum or steel but im sure you have to cut it out yourself just remember if you use alum or steel to put a dab of silicone on the mounts so it dont squeek/rattle

balzer

3. skelly1

skelly1 1/2 ton status

What's the easiest method to cut sheetmetal to fit?

4. thedrip

thedrip 1/2 ton status

make a cardboard template, or use the old sides to trace an outline on the sheetmetal, and then plasma cut it out. Thats the easy way.

5. skelly1

skelly1 1/2 ton status

Thanks. I'll see if I can get ahold of a plasma cutter when I finally get to this part. I wasn't sure what I was going to do.

6. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

Heck, I'd just make them out of some 1/4" plywood. It's cheaper, and you can still line it too. Not to mention it can be cut with something as common as a jigsaw. Plus, once it's lined, it would be easier to make any new holes that you might need .. like for speakers or whatever. I would think the plasma would not leand itself too well, to cutting new holes, once the liner is on. Just make sure you line the edges good, and probably an inch or so overlap onto the backside (at least the bottom) to resist any water absorbtion that may get in if the top is off.

7. BlitzK5

BlitzK5 1/2 ton status

I just did my rear floor with 3/16 aluminum and I a jig saw to cut out the wheel wells. It worked good but took some time. I would only use 1/8th for the side though. It will be much easier to cut to. Just get a sheet metal shop to cut you a piece the right length and witdh and then alls you will have to do is cut out the wheel wells and around the tailgate latch.

8. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

And drill for the seatbelts/shoulder belts, if you're still running stock belts. Oh, and cut the little hump for the gas filler neck. LOL :p:

9. B_to_C

B_to_C 1/2 ton status Author

10. 3rdshiftdesign

3rdshiftdesign 1/2 ton status

I just left mine out, and thought a lot of others did as well. I have my hi-lift and shovel mounted on the sides and i enjoy the advantage of having just that much more room!