Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

interior question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 83' k5, Apr 3, 2006.

1. 83' k5

83' k5 Registered Member

I am going to be putting durbak bedliner inside and out. Entire body will have it on it. I was wondering when I pull the carpet and the padding how do I get all that black hard crap up. I know that when I needed to get to the out unit on top of my gas tank I just cut a big hole in the floor instead of dropping the tank and when I was using the air chisel it came up but of course I was destroying the body. Should I even worry about it?? I dont know if it will stick well or not so hopefully you can help me out.

2. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I am pretty sure it is just an asphalt based sound deadener I would think you could leave it but it comes up pretty easy with a heat gun and a scraper still time consuming though

3. Grizz84

Grizz84 Registered Member

Unless your building some kind of show truck, i would just leave it. That stuff can be a pain in the you know what to get up. Even with a heat gun it just seems to make it messier and stickier. If the bedliner doesn't want to stick to it good, then i would worry about pulling it up. Thats just me though.

4. WhiteBurb

WhiteBurb 1/2 ton status

You've got to remove that if you want the durabak to stick good. I scraped as much out as I could, then used one of those 3m abrasive wheels in my drill. Then I sanded the crap out of the floors, and cleaned it with xylene.
    The durabak has been on my floors for over two years now, with no problems.

5. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

I think Whiteburb is right. Durabak requires a xylene'd surface, so that means the durabak needs a clean, no residue surface to stick to. Xylene does that - cleans without a residue. The black goo would continue to be "unclean" no matter how many times you wiped it with xylene, so the durabak would have problems sticking to it.

I'd use a razor type scraper, maybe with a heat gun to loosen it up, then sand the remainder off.

I've had my exterior durabak'd for 2 years now with absolutely no problems. It's all in the prep.

6. wubba_65

wubba_65 Registered Member

I used a wire cup brush (knot style) on my angle grinder. Ground it down to the bare metal (some paint left in some places). Then I wiped it down with an alcohol soaked rag. Primered, and then painted with duplicolours version of the bedliner. (name of it slips my mind right now. did the inside of my tailgate, and the wheelwells. Haven't done the new floor yet, but the gate and wells seem to be holding up well.