Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Interior Questions head liner and console

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by solowookie, Mar 31, 2001.

1. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

I am looking to solve a couple of problems as I rebuild my 89 Blazer;

1. This Blazer has no headliner. I have a catalog from lmctruck.com that show the liners and all the components. If I drill the appropriate places will these factory components work in my Blazer? The only reason I want to add a headliner is because there is a echo problem in that thing. I am putting carpet in it, and that should help. This Blazer has a removable top also.

2. I am looking for a good quality console that has cup holders in the front and back. The only one that I can find is a steel horse product. I'm not sure of the quality of the product, and how it will fit in my Blazer (http://www.jcwhitney.com/product.jhtml?CATID=83321).

This said that it was made for mini vans, and I'm assuming it is not designed to work with the hump in the middle of a vehicle that is not a front wheel drive.

I have to kids that are autistic, and we go out wheeling a lot as a family. A lot of the time we're not really wheeling, but just driving and eating goodies. They tend to make a BIG mess unless they have cup holders. :)

My Blazer has no console at all (BIG PAIN). I was almost considering a center console from a more recent vehicle.

Any other console suggestions?

Thanks for you time and commencts.

Jeff

2. Junior_Fangler

Junior_Fangler Registered Member

Hi there Wookie, I had the headliner in my Monte Carlo re done at a local upholstery shop for $100 out the door. They matched the color of my interior and warranteed it for 3 years. Take a look around for a similar shop. For me it's worth the money to not have to bother with it.

I tried doing a headliner a while back and it just fell again a month later :)

Sorry, don't have any info on consoles.

77 Blazer 350/350 NP203 FF14 D44
    Patuxent River Hard Rock Crawlers

3. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

Tuffy makes a nice console for our trucks <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.coloradok5.com/tuffy.shtml>http://www.coloradok5.com/tuffy.shtml</A>.

Dawson
    Raleigh, NC

88 K5, 4" lift, 33" BFG muds

4. Flyinhi86

Flyinhi86 Registered Member

Hi about your headliner go to www.lmctruck.com and order a catalogue for a blazer. They can replace every part in your blazer along with your accessories, a bit pricy but. You could get a stock center console for $170 US but I recommend getting on from tuffy, there steel and made to protect from theft. Spend the extra 50 or so. It also comes with hardware to fit in stock spot. Oh the headliner 120 from lmc but you may need the extra plasic moldings to hold it up. Any other questions???

5. solowookie

WOW!! Talk about a lot of positive feedback from a message board. I've been looking around coloradok5 for some time, but haven't posted here yet. The responsiveness here is great! :)

I already have a catalog from lmc. My truck didn't come stock with the headliner. I think I'm going to try to order everything from lmc and put it in. I think that would help a LOT with the echo.

I saw a few consoles from tuffy that look pretty nice. I'm going to have to decide what direction I want to go. I will take before and after picks of my rig and post everything here when I get the interior done.

I just ordered all new gauges to replace the stock gauges from summit racing. I'm going with the vision series found on vdona.com (aftermarket section).

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The cup holders on the back of a center console may be tough for the kids to reach from the back seat. You might want to check in a boat shop for some of those neat gimbal mounted cup holders. I've seen them screwed to the side panels in the back of a K5 before. That would be much easier for them to reach.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com>http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com</A>

7. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I have the console from a '99 Tahoe in mine, and there are cupholders in the back. Try a conversion center at a dealer (Regency, etc.) or a seat store in your area. If your in the Dallas area i can tell ya where mine came from.

90K5

See my truck at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502>http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502</A>

8. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I got a console almost identical to that at my local WallMart for $30. Serious. Pepgirls sells the same one for $50.
    It worked good in my 75 but thats because of the floor. On yours you would have to build a suport for the rear so it will sit level. The downside on both the one you pictured and the one I have...The kids climb over it all bets are off. My 8 year old steps on the stock one in the wifes 79 K5 all the time. but this one I doubt will handle it but hay it's $30 bucks and managed to keep the 8 year old off it for 2 years and it's done otherwise well. With that said I do run topless most of the yeah and my truck is a full top roadster and probably going to get the Tuffy since it's more weather resistant.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/>http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/</A>

9. solowookie

I've got one sitting here that I got from JC Whitney that doesn't seem very durable. I'm really debating on sending it back or not. It's a steel horse plastic thing. Sometimes those plastic things hold up real well though. My kids would be so hard something like that I'm afraid it would be such a waist of money if it is. I hate to buy things twice.

On the plus side it is blue, and it doesn't seem like I can find many blue consoles. Gray would be so much easier to match.

I really like the idea of finding something that I could put in the back separate, but that means I would want to buy a tuffy console and the thing is $240.00!!

10. 85k5blzr

85k5blzr 1/2 ton status

Just be careful with LMC. I have had problems with orders before and so have a lot of people. I'd get a Classic Industries catalog as well. They have a little more than the LMC does, more accessories, not just a pure replacement parts catalog.

85 k5 blazer with an old 305....must have more power! [​IMG]

11. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I think for the cup holders you should go to a boat shop. You could mount them on the sides for the kids. With seat belts on they wouldn't be able to reach them......

Become one with nature............Then marinate it..

12. solowookie

Actually I already had the console boxed up before I read this. It's going back to JC Whitney!

I'll have to go by a marina shop and get a couple of holders to go in the back. I think I'll go buy a cheap Wal Mart console and worry about the Tuffy after I have some of the other stuff done to my Blazer that I want done.

My list of wants right now are TOO BIG!!! I'm having a lot of fun researching and tweaking this thing.

Thanks,

Jeff

13. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

my 89 has a factory console between the seats, and the lid folds all the way back, and the are 2 cupholders molded in the bottom of the lid. when opened all the way back the cup holders are almost right against the middle of the rear seat. the thing is also pretty durable, and it has a lock that is keyed to the door. my 4 year old thinks it is a great place to stand when we are on the trails. i just have to remind him to hold on before we "get sideways". i do not think the lock is amde to keep out thieves, just keep honest people honest.
    chris