Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Interior questions...herculiner and bubbled paint

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BigOrange90Jimmy, Apr 24, 2003.

1. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

This is all on my 87 K5.

When you guys got ready to put down your Herculiner, what did you do with all of the wires that were in the floor? I'm referring to the speaker wires, 4x4 shifter light, and the seatbelt. I know I could run the speaker wires up around the door or something, but the other wires have me drawing blanks.

About the bubbled paint. The paint on the floorboard in my K5 is bubbled up and has water under it. It chips off easily and isn't rusted (THANK GOD!). The K5 is still wearing the original white paint on it. Was this a normal problem for them or is it the result of spending most of it's life at the beach?

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

my interior is stripped and herculined. Most of my wiring goes from under the dash, down under those sill plate things (whatever they are called, they screw to the body covering the little valley between the rigs floor and the rocker panel) and then up into the custom made rear side panels. I have some other wiring that is in a loom that runs out from under the center of the dash... then under the console, under the drivers side seat and then to the same side panels. It doesnt get in the way because the drivers side door isnt an access point for the rear of the rig.

j

3. BrianDamage

BrianDamage 1/2 ton status

I am currently doing this to my 87 too

all my wires (dome lights and speakers) I coiled up and taped to my e-brake pedal..the light for the t-case I taped to the brake pedal and the t-case shift handle - just to keep it off of the floor

my floor is bubbled up to...I was told that it was a layer of plastic that they lay down for a moisture barrier or something and then paint over it (?)...I am cutting the air bubbles out with a razor knife and will see how everything looks before I lay the herc down

I am currently sanding all that adhesive off in the bed area. Hopefully will be able to lay down a coat of primer today and put on a coat of herc tomorrow or Sunday /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Sorry, I realize that I didn't really ask about the wires correctly. I was referring to what you did with them AFTER the Herculiner was down. Did you put the liner on the wires themselves or put them in a loom or what? I don't want the wires exposed and was looking for ideas to keep them protected.

5. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Put them in a loom. If you put herc on the wires if some electrical problem needs to be traced that'll be a mess.

If it's just stock wiring, IIRC it's only the dome light wires (orange and white) that run along the drivers side. Loom them and lay them in the trough by the door. You could always reinstall the sill plate to keep them there.

I have a bunch of aftermarket wiring and because I don't really intend to get my fornt all muddied up, I laid carpet over my Linex in the cab only and left the bed just Linexed. So all my wiring is under the carpet, and/or runs up those troughs by the doors.

If I hadn't put in a toggle switch panel for my aux lights, and put a ham radio in the tuffy console and stuck in the amp I probably could have run all wiring thru those troughs.

6. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yeah, mine are all loomed... it works and I like the look too.. always an added bonus.

j