Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Interior Questions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BeyondReason, Jul 18, 2001.

1. BeyondReason

BeyondReason Registered Member

I know this should be irrelevant, but, does anyone know where I can get OEM or repro rear interior panels for my truck. I have new seats, carpet headliner, wheelwell covers, but now rear side covers. It looks very incomplete.

BeyondReason

2. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I did my own.
    You interested in instructions? The results are potentially awesome.
    (and I am no interior decorator)

Dave

If You Drink Don't Park, Accidents Cause People.

91 K5 - in the process of 4" lift with D60/14FF plus LOTS of extras. ETF August 1.

3. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Hey, use your old ones as a template and make some out of wood (particle board or MDF)..........made mine out of 5/8" particle board, covered them in matching carpet to the interior and they turned out nice. Hold 2 10" MTX woofers and 2 Clarion 6x9's and rock. Pics on site below........click on the link.

<font color=blue>'79 ONE TON TPI K5 - See it at---&gt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.blazzinor.alloffroad.com>www.blazzinor.alloffroad.com</a>

4. sarazk5

sarazk5 1/2 ton status

i'd be interested in seeing how you did them 96!

5. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I made my own too. I used the old ones as a template for the new ones. Covered them in automotive grade carpet. Came out looking sweet.

John

'83 GMC Jimmy 4x4 ZZ4 Crate Motor
    '83 Chevy P/U 4x4 Sand Drag Racer, 578 RWHP
    '94 Impala SS
    '01 Chevy 2500HD w/8.1L & Allison Auto

6. 2Dogs

OK here we go. This was 3-4 years ago so I hope I dont miss anything. And the truck is in the shop so I cant go measure/take notes or pictures. Sorry.

-I had to make my own template so I started with cardboard.

-Transfer that to Marine treated plywood - 1/4 to 1/2" should work dont remeber exact thickness. Go to Home Depot and touch some wood.... LOL

-get a roll of medium density foam, thinking about where I came up with this material..... dang

-get automotive quality vinyl (I chose black with a mild 'leather' looking pattern, wanted to avoid shiny black vinyl) from carpet store. Automotive resist moisture and has better durability

-cover the plywood with the foam (weatherstrip adhesive used) on the interior side of plywood. This will give your siding a supple look and feel

-lay the foam side down on your vinyl or whatever material

-wrap edges up over plywood and trim to where there is about 2"of overlap ( see note, dont be afraid to look and re staple if necessary, don't go crazy with staple 'til your happy with appearance)

-then staple the flaps down with a good staple gun (WARNING: pick staples that correspond with the thickness of your plywood)

-Pick out sheetmetal screws of your choice (does not need to be big ones, I'll look at sizes if anybody needs a recommendation, I chose hex head purely for appearance)

-use washers that have smoothe edges under the sheetmetal screws

-hold siding up to mount point and rill holes through siding and bed lip. (start your drilling at the front - see roll bar note below) I ende up spacing 4 screws equi-distant.

Notes:
    You may want to look at and experiment with folds around the corners. As you work on the corners you can trim excess material from the folded over part - makes fitting a little easier.

Locating the front screws - beware of the roll bar - it is a stout piece of HD steel and likes to eat drill bits. And the screws don't like it either. I settled for the first screw at the front of the bed and one mid-way down on the roll bar.

You will need to make a notch around the tailgate latches I think. (about 2"x2" if I remeber but please measure it yourself, take small cuts at it rather than one large)

Before you cover up the space you can put some sort of insulation in the holes.

Remove the soon to be internal top mounting bolt.

Repalce every other top mounting torx bolt with eyebolts. (5/16 I think, great for tying stuff down)

Last thought - don't go too thick on the plywood and foam ot the tailgate will hit or rub. I am thinking 1/4 to 3/8" plywood....

And some advice from my GrandPa on project like this:
    -measure twice, cut once
    -you can't put material back on once cut/removed

Dave

91 K5 - in the process of 4" lift with D60/14FF plus LOTS of extras. ETF August 1.

7. 2Dogs

Sara,
    Sorry about not getting back top you on the interior project. My drivetrain project got completly out of control (YES!!!!!) so the interior project is on hold. And my cage may prevent the use of the stock consoles(or maybe any off the shelf console). Don't ask. I'll have pics someday or drive through Sac....

Any comments on the siding project? Good, bad...? Really, it came out great. No, REALLY! I would not BS you. talking to myself.

Dave

8. 2Dogs

OK - no comments....??? I'M OUTTA HERE!!!!!

Ooops, wrong post. hehehe

Dave

9. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

talked to a body shop guy here about how to do this (and this guy is incredible) and he recommended you take some panelling (that stuff in old trailers with grooves that has a fake wood grain), and you turn it over backwards.

use the existing one for template, and then you can either rhino line that, or you can put carpet or whatever. I'm probably going to rhino line mine, and rhino line inside of the top in the rear to match it.

I'll post you some pics when I get it all done.

[​IMG] <font color=blue> Jeff </font color=blue> [​IMG]