Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Interior Quiet?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by K30CJ, Apr 1, 2004.

1. K30CJ

K30CJ 1/2 ton status

I'll be swapping a new interior into my '79 crew cab soon, and I'm planning ahead for anything that could be done for road/engine noise reduction at that time. The truck has had the body completely re-done, but the interior is still "25 year old farm truck". I have almost everything from a wrecked crew cab - seats, carpets, door panels (four complete doors with PW and PDL), all the plastic trim, weatherstripping, etc. Is there something I can put in the doors/on the floors to cut noise and protect from rust? Just the typical spray can undercoating, or something better? It is fairly loud now on the highway with the Cummins (no muffler) and 4.10's, bad & missing weatherstripping and rubber floor mats. I'm sure that just installing what I have will help a lot, but I'd like to make it as quiet as possible while I'm doing it. I like hearing the Cummins roar, but I want to be able to roll up the windows on a long trip, turn on the AC and have it quiet. Any help would be appreciated.

2. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    Check out this link to the 67-72chevytruck.com site.We had a large discussion about that a while back.
    Click HERE

It's about a product called Brown Bread.Very similar to Dynamat,only ALOT cheaper.

3. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

When I had my crew cab painted I replaced ALL of the door glass weatherstrips with new OE stuff and it made a HUGE difference. Almost all of the wind noise was eliminated.

4. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Well I may as well put it on here as well.

This is how it's shipped.Only 30 lbs a roll.
    [​IMG]

It's about 1 mil thick.
    [​IMG]

I took the floor down to metal,got all the crud and crap off 1st then I laid down a coat of spray on sound deadener and rust proofer.
    [​IMG]

Then I covered the whole interior of my Blazer.
    [​IMG]

in the door here
    [​IMG]

The bed and bed sides
    [​IMG]

The product is a little labour intensive to install but it works great! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

You can get it off E-Bay for about $125/roll.

A roll covers 70sq/ft.I used 1.5 rolls in my Blazer but then again I covered EVERYTHING.

5. blaznjon

blaznjon 1/2 ton status

go to a junkyard find a diesel pu/blazer grab all the firewall sound deadner insulation.Jon

6. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Bob, we can't see those pics, do I have to be a member of HPhoto?

7. I too have installed brown bread in my Suburban. I pulled everything out, I mean everything first. I was trying to find out where I was taking on water, which turned out to be the windshield rubber. Anyway, since I had everything out, I herculined the whole floor and sides of the Sub. Then I layed down brown bread on top of that. Next I replaced the front carpet, which was shot anyway, with vinyl. It really made a difference. I have now improved on that. I pulled my headliner and layed down the insulation with the aluminum backing under it. Pulled my door panels off, sprayed dynamat sound shield spay inside doors and lined inside door skins with acoustamat, which is thin bubble wrap sandwiched between 2 layers of aluminum sheet. It is one of the most quite vehicles I have ever been in. I just made a 9 hour trip from Alabama to Missouri and it was great. I have a high flow cat with flowmaster muffler and 35" tires and you cannot hear the exhaust when the windows are up, only from the engine. It has been a quest of mine to see how quiet I can make it, so I am not finished yet. But it is very nice now. Plus it is well insulated when the a/c is on to retain the cold air.

My webshots has some pics of the floor with herculiner and the brown bread on it.

webshots

Mat

8. kw48653

kw48653 Registered Member

9. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I used the Dynamat that they sell in approx 2' squares and spread them around...worked great under the stock stuff on my '91.

10. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

those pic's aren't showing up?

11. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

There,I think I corrected the picture links
    /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

12. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif work good now

13. barryb

barryb Registered Member

i have done many cars for sound deading, and if you have the room to place the material, cascades VB3 is the best stuff i have ever used. Sometimes it is too thick for doors depending in the clearance for the interior panel, so check it if you are going to use it. I have used all the dynamat, dynamat pro, brown bread and cascades product.

I have seen customers use roofing tar paper also, it works as well as any single layer product, adding mass etc, keeps the metal from vibrating, but the hard-soft rules for sound deading are superior ... so if nothing else think hard layer, soft layer, hard layer, etc .....

14. K30CJ

K30CJ 1/2 ton status

Thanks for all the info, guys. That gives me some ideas. The truck looks good on the outside, but open the door, and it's scary./forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif The interior stuff I got is really nice, and I can't wait to get it in.