Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Interior rear panels

Discussion in 'The Body Shop' started by k5 krawler 50, Jun 13, 2004.

1. k5 krawler 50

k5 krawler 50 1/2 ton status

Jan 26, 2004
    Hey, i am getting ready to start cutting my interior panels outta 3/8" think ply wood, and i read some where that people have used another piece of ply wood or foam and cut out cool designs and glued it on the panel then carpeted it. I thought this would be a really cool idea but am not sure what kind of carpet to use. I am thinking about using some 1/2 inch ply wood to cut out the trucker chick, or a chevy emblum, but how would i go about the hole carpet thing? Is there a specific type that would pull tight over the 3d image? Thanks.
  2. dodgedude99

dodgedude99 1/2 ton status

Jul 12, 2003
    you can get by with just 1/4" luan plywood.
    to do like a raised design, just cut out your shape, use some hightemp spray adhesive and glue it to the luan, spray the entire piece now with the adhesive and lay your tweed, vinyl, or velvet over it and work it into the corners of the edge of the foam and luan.

hit http://store.yahoo.com/yourautotrim-store/tweed.htmlthis website for material ideas.

i personally did my rear sidepanels in a vinyl that is as soft and looks just like leather. then i made a pressboard shape with a cutout covered in Zebra print velvet for a 6x9 speaker that would be at about at your knee if sitting in the backseat with the cutout going straight back with a billet aluminum inlay.
    up front i covered the lower door panels, headliner, and visors with more zebra, but the the door panels and headliner i have a raised "bowtie".