Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

interior redeco job..... any thoughts HELP PLEASE:)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Mr.LaHoyaSunset, Mar 20, 2003.

1. Mr.LaHoyaSunset

Mr.LaHoyaSunset Registered Member

Hey all, I am planning on taking some time this weekend and spring break and ripping out the interior carpeting of the truck, and redoing it. heres my question, Where do i find replacement carpeting.... it is currently light blue, and i was thinking of switching it to black. is it kosher to just go to a fabric store and cut it to fit? or how do i do that....... any insight would be GREATLY APPRECIATED as i am a rookie restorer...
    thanks a bunch guys , and gals:) /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

You can buy preformed carpet kits for our trucks. LMC Truck carries them and JC Whitney does also among others. The are already formed to fit. They have the transmission hump and such preformed so the fit pretty well. All that you have to do is trim them to fit exactly.

I used the JC Whitney kit myself when I redid my carpet. It fit pretty well for the most part, but it did need a fair amount of final fitting to fit and look good. These places usually carry all the colors the factory put out. They might not be exact, but they are close.

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

one of the best things I ever did to my rig was rip out the interior and herculine the entire thing. If you are ready to spend the money it would take to do a really nice restoration... why not just line-X the thing instead? much more durable, much tougher, easier to clean, better at sound deadening etc.

depending on your line-x shop you may be able to swing a deal where u do most of the prep work and they spray it... might end up even cheaper than a restoration...

j

4. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

did mine about 3 months ago. I started ordering from lmc, golden state, but in the end Chevy Duty was the best service of all of them.

5. BowtieGuy3

BowtieGuy3 Guest

I'm not too sure of the exact procedure on installing one, but....
    I do know stores like Jo-Ann Fabrics and places like them sell auto headliner material...

6. georgiared84

georgiared84 1/2 ton status

7. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Auto Custom Carpets has good kits. They only trimming required is to cut the hole for the shifter, nothing else.

8. BayouBlazer88

BayouBlazer88 1/2 ton status

If I were you I'd do one of two things:

1) buy the polyvinyl flooring kits from LMC which is about $270 for the whole set (the carpet kit is $250 from LMC), including the rear wheel wells. The only bad thing is that it only comes in black and the wheel well covers don't fit good at all. I did this and its very easy to clean and very durable. You still need insulation underneath if you want a quite ride.

2) if you can afford it, do what JekBrown said and Line-X or Rhino Line the entire floor. Don't quote me on this but I think it costs somewhere in the neighborhood of $450 dollars for the whole floor, front to back. But you can get any color you want, you don't need insulation, and you will never have to worry about rust.

I wouldn't recommend the Herculiner for an interior floor because it feels like sandpaper and isnt as thick as Rhino Line. Don't get me wrong, they are great for truck beds especially for $100, but I'd stick to a professional Spray-On liner for the floor. Hope this helps.