Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

interior:removing tar gunk from under carpet

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by four_by_ken, Apr 30, 2002.

1. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

Anyone have a suggestion as to simple ways to do this?

Ken H.

2. racercrazy

racercrazy 1/2 ton status

Wirewheel in a drill gun.

3. Rob 85K5

Rob 85K5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I used a rust wheel from 3M, it leaves less gouging than the wire wheel, and a bernzomatic torch and a putty knife.
    They both worked very well.

4. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

On my 84K5 it came up really easy. I used a dull putty knife to scrap the stubburn stuff up. Worked pretty good.

5. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

I believe General Motors got this stuff from aliens.

The worst places for it is on top of the wheel wells. I have hacked and scraped this junk off of 2 of my previous trucks and it is really a nasty job.

While I was removing the carpet from my Suburban last weekend my wife came up with a great idea. She ran inside and got a couple of heating pads (those of us who are "a little past our prime" have many of these lying around). I turned the pads on HIGH and placed them on top of the wheel wells for about 15 minutes. Once they got everything nice and warm I grabbed a corner of the carpet and peeled it right off! There was only a little bit still stuck on the wheel wells that came right off with a putty knife.

I'm sure that you could use other methods but the idea is to get the stuff warm so it is flexible. Next time I have to do this I may try to heat it up from the outside with a heat gun. That might be a little quicker.

No hacking, scraping, cutting, grinding or swearing.

Hope it works for you too!

6. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

Use the 3m rust wheel ;-) It looks like a plactis honeycomb material. Also get many rags and some acetone, nut keep the acetone off you skin or it will be supper dry. I use the acetone daily here and I think I have become imune to it, but it sure lets you know when you have a cut ;-( ouch that burns

7. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

We have run into tar all the time in OHIO, try using a Burnsamatic torch or heat gun to heat up the surface (be carefull) then scrape with a putty knife. It will scrape off like butter.

8. Confederate9

Confederate9 1/2 ton status

i put a wire wheel in a grinder.
    but when you do this, make sure its shooting the stuff out the rear, otherwise it till be ALL OVER everything
    took me like less than 1 hr to do both of em and didnt hurts the wheel wells
    i hurculined over it

9. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

when i did my herculiner project I ran into that crap. Nasty stuff... I agree that it might be extraterrestrial. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

At any rate, a combination of a drill-mounted wire brush, putty knives, xylene, and flat screw drivers (for REALLY nasty clumps that refuse all other means of removal!!!) got the job done. Few things have made me wish that I had some sort of portable sand blasting device... /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

J

10. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Heat gun or a hair dryer worked well for me.... when it was warm it was plyable and peeled up fairly easy. The wheel wells were awful, I used a good putty knife then. I didn't want to wire off the paint on the floor if I didn't have too....