Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Interior Restoration is so much fun!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by CrazeeBush, Aug 15, 2000.

1. CrazeeBush

CrazeeBush 1/2 ton status

Currently in the process of dyeing all the vinyl and stuff inside my truck. It seems to be taking real well, and not rubbing off(even on the seat belt cloth) We'll see how well it does as time goes, but things are looking damn good. I'm using Duplicolor vinyl and cloth dye. Stuff is cheap beauty.

-JoSH
    crazeebush@aol.com
    http://josh.coloradok5.com

2. Impex

Impex 1/2 ton status

on the seatbelts. Are you soaking little bit at a time or do you just through it all in the dye and are you dying it all the same color as before?

3. CrazeeBush

4. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

You're right .... those vynil dyes and paints are a very cheap way to restore your interior. I've used them several times now with great results. If you were to go to a dealer and pay through the nose for new panels, all they would do is paint them to match too since they come in black. If anyone else plans on using the paint however make sure you use acetone to clean off all the old grime and dirt. Also, be in a wel ventilated area....the fumes from that stuff can kill !!

L8r,

.Riz.

5. CrazeeBush

Doesn't acetone eat plastics? I'm using denatured alcohol to clean the panels before painting. The dye takes real well after cleaning with the alcohol.. Anyway, I finished all the panels and everything looks nice. I hope it's durable. Hopefully I'll have some pics up soon. Still looking for carpet.

-JoSH
    crazeebush@aol.com
    http://josh.coloradok5.com

6. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

You're right, acetone is harsh but not if you put some on a rag and wipe it on....although it would probably be better to do it the way you are just to be safe. Let me know what you find for carpet deals, I'm going to start on my interior next week. Please post some pics when you're done...I'd like to see it ! It's always cool to see everyones improvements !

L8r,

.Riz.

7. dpearson

dpearson Registered Member

Post some pics when you are finished, I was looking at replacement panels but your way sounds MUCH better!!