Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

interior smells like mouse pee!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bigbadchev84, Jun 13, 2006.

1. bigbadchev84

bigbadchev84 1/2 ton status

ok well i am finally making progress on my project car that has been sitting for about 3 years, good news is im making headway on the motor, bad news is since it was parked for so long the mice made it there home, i ditched the front buckets and tore out the interior the only thing i want to re-use is the back vinyl seat, it still smells like piss, anyone have any secrets or tips on getting rid of the smell?

2. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

The wife says: try baking soda paste. Mix it with water to make the paste, test a little spot on the seat to make sure ot won't discolor it.

I say: try a good leather/naugahyde cleaner.

3. garlicbreath

garlicbreath 1/2 ton status

Get a cat to piss on it, they hate the smell of mouse piss more than you do.:haha:

4. berserker

berserker 1/2 ton status

try paint thinner maybe lots of febreeze

5. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

ozone generator

6. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Light it on fire and start over. :weld: That Febreze stuff works pretty well, but nothing seems to take that smell away completely.

7. nemesis_pyros

nemesis_pyros 1/2 ton status

Ya I have a truck that I took right apart and put all new interior in. To me I can still smell the mouse piss in there. I may try the febreeze it sounds like a good idea. Or maybe its just time for lots of air fresheners?

8. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

There's an enzymatic cleaner called Nature's Miracle. It breaks down the pee, so no more smell. You have to use a lot of it, and let it air dry over time, But it works pretty well.

9. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

get used to it???

I had a friend who bought and restored an old VW Beetle,that mice had taken up residence in...after ripping out the headliner(it was sagging due to 10 lbs of mice nests and poop!~:eek1: )and the seats,he used a "steam jenny" at the bus company his dad worked at to steam clean the entire interior with high pressure water and detergent...it still reeked a bit,but nowhere near as bad as before..the seats got the same treatment,but were found to be the main source of the odor..so he bought used seats at a swap meet that didn't stink...

Mostly its carpet,cloth seats,and the stuffing in them that retains the odor the longest..might have to rip them all out and replace them...

If you pressure wash it,a long drying time in the sun is best to get the odor out as much as possible..we had to de-odorize a lot of cars we sold at the boneyard..nearly all had some kind of critters living in them somewhere!..(dead frogs in a pool of water in the trunk of a 55 Buick were THE worst smell my nose has ever inhaled!.:eek1: :doah: ..PHEW!!!)..--Mold and mildew stink bad too--we had mushrooms growing in the rugs of many cars in the boneyard!!--we bought lots of those "Christmas Tree" air fresheners!!..

Its a difficult smell to eradicate---(urine of any kind is,but mice seem to have THE worst ammonia piss on the planet)..I know one guy with a grudge against another guy who slept with his fiancee,who poured a one gallon jug of piss he saved in a milk jug for a month,down the louvers where the windsheild wipers park....they ended up junking the car after several attempts to "de-odorize" it!..:p: ..

10. bigbadchev84

bigbadchev84 1/2 ton status

oh yeah i forgot about the headliner:doah: it is in good shape too! oh well i guess its gone, i cant stand the smell, ill have to try that enzyme stuff, under the vinyl seats is a jute? burlap material, ill drench it in that stuff and try some bleach water too.

11. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

do one or the other...... bleach will kill the enzyme's

12. K5-newf

K5-newf 1/2 ton status

lots of febreze

rember the corvette on myth busters with the dead pig inside i can jsut imagine wat that smelt like anyways for those of u who didnt see it they couldn't get the smell out of it so they sold it to someone who parted out corvettes

13. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

RJ is right you have to let the enzyme stuff do the job until it is dry and there is no more smell (if there is just re-apply and let air dry again). With really bad smells it may take a few applications. Bleach will just prevent the enzyme cleaner from working.