Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

interior trim pieces, headliner, york brackets, and miscellaneous ramblings

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by greg83k5, Mar 24, 2002.

1. greg83k5

greg83k5 1/2 ton status

the blazer is threatening to run on it's own power, soon!

couple of questions.....

1. the plastic trim pieces that are supposed to be color keyed on the a and b pillars and surrounding the headliner have oxidized and are now a nasty yellow color, i guess they paint them instead of mold them in the different colors. any special paint to use redoing them?

2. headliner. last time the truck ran, we had it out at the farmhouse, and one of my drunken buddies jumped into it and took it for a joyride through the pasture. when he came back, i jumped in and proceeded to whoop his ass for running off in my truck. in the ensuing struggle we screwed up the headliner. has anyone re-done their own? tell me about it.

3. anybody got any pictures or better yet autocad files of their york brackets they used with the factory a/c in place? ( yeah, right, huh>>><??)

almost everything under the hood is new. the front clip is off, and the inside has been repainted, it looks ridiculously good. i don't want to get any of it dirty. hopefully that feeling will subside....

i bought some of those 90/130 H4 lights out of JC whitney, we'll see if they are any good....

PS removing old receiver hitches, bumpers and dropping old gas tanks sucks. don't do it unless you absolutely have to, and if you have a naughty child, have them do it as punishment....

greg

2. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Let's see...
    #1. I just used some mild soap and warm water to clean the oil's and dirt off. Then just used some spray paint made for plastics. Worked great!

#2. My headliner was falling down,so I tried to re glue it myself. Didn't work. The fabric would just keep falling off. My fix was just take the whole damn liner out.

Sorry can't help ya on the rest...

3. Den

Den 1/2 ton status

Hey the headliner is no big deal.... just take it down... make sur it is clean...and buy some new fabric..... spray glue.....trim after dry.....and Im looking for the same thing on th York ... I need to know how it hooks up on my 91..... I have all the mjr parts...

4. 86blazerk5

86blazerk5 1/2 ton status

I too have redone my headliner exactly as discribed above. Verry Easy Project. Take your time, and make it look pretty. I found actualy Headliner material like they use in new cars at a local fabirc store. if they dont have it, ask them and they may be able to order it for you. The lady told me they have a lot of guys that come in and buy it from upolstry shops. It is the nice foam backed fabirc. i think it only cost me 11 bucks becuase you only need 1 yard of it. i also have painted me plastic trims and that to was easy, I didnt really even clean mine. I used a silver laquer paint, when i sprayed it it ran some, and i thought it was going to look, bad, but when it was dry, it was perfectly smoth. Looks awsome. The only thing now is that my sun visor are white while my headliner is grey and my side panels are silver... i see LMC now sells colored visors, but they are like 70 dollars. Not worth it. Good luck, and just take your time...
    ike

5. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

I've got a drawing of my bracket but I mounted it where the smog pump was since that got taken out when I put in headers. I still haven't figured out how that's going to pass inspection, maybe they'll think the York is a smog pump?? /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif I made my bracket mount to the smog pump mounts and even used the tension adjustment bracket from it, it's a pretty simple design. The drawing is 2D right now but I can make a model of it pretty easliy if anyone wants one.

Oh, about the gas tank removal... I know all about it! Try doing it at 1am in a state campground with flash lights, 25 gallons of gas in the tank, and no floor jack. Oh, and the whole time your buddies are sitting around the campfire drinking beer constantly asking you when your gonna be done! That's one experience I don't ever want to have again. I seriously thought the forest rangers were going to kick us out for that one.

6. BIGRIG

BIGRIG 1/2 ton status

On the trim pieces I used bathroom cleaner then rubbed them down with rubbing alcohol and used a parts store spray. take your time and they look great.

The headliner I'm getting ready to do...but I found if you take your thumb and rub the glue you can peel off a THIN layer of the cardboard like an old sunburn and you have a fresh surface to work with....the rest sounds right though spray glue and new fabric.

Late 70's chevy vans had factory a/c with a york 210 and the brackets fit right up to your motor i believe. I have a write up on it if you email me I can send it to you.

Chris

7. greybeard

greybeard Registered Member

When I did my headliner I got the truck kit from WLS Headliners. The material matched my interior exactly. The kit came with glue and instructions. It's an easy fix. You might want to check them out. www.headlinerkit.com/

8. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

yup. i have redone my headliner and it is in PIMPADELIC leapord print, along with my shifter boot. The ladies love it!

(p.s. If you think I am kidding, ask Mr. Mod greg72)

I also used industrial 3M spray glue to hold it up. it works 10x better than "headliner glue" you get at Kragen's. Make sure it is the black and red INDUSTRIAL glue they use on insulation and such. (home depot has it)

9. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

for headliner material you can look at pepboys. THey have it on the aisle with all the flex tubing and stuff at the one up the street from me.

10. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

jcG... I would be very interested in a drawing and some pics of the setup if you got them.

11. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

I'll see what I can do about pictures, I might be able to grab a friends digital camera this weekend. The system isn't done yet cause I'm a poor college student but the compressor is mounted in the engine bay, which I guess is the hardest part of the job. I just need some cash to get an air tank and all the fittings/guages/regulator/hoses/tools/... I think it might be a while!

12. sarazk5

sarazk5 1/2 ton status

For my headliner I used the pepboys kit. Make sure you follow the directions. I believe the kit was 19.00 then like 7.00 or the glue. You may want to go to a paint store and pay a little more for the 3M glue.. it works better. As for the trim pieces i cleaned them and painted them with SEM Vynil Paint... got that from a Auto paint supply store, I think big Napa stores carry it also, if they have a paint dept. Our main D.C. has one and carries it. Doing both of these made the interior look so much better, I switched to grey interior, bought new grey sunvisors from LMC to go with it.. Looks great. Good Luck. Make sure you don't stretch the material when glueing the headliner on.. That will cause it to fall shortley.

13. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Sweet,,, that would be much appriciated

14. ChevBlazin

ChevBlazin 1/2 ton status

You said the pillars trim pieces were color coded to the rest of the interior? I dont think they were. I have grey interior in my 86 and mine are also the white/ yellow color. Maybe all were not like this but I think they did this so it would match the inside of the hard top? not sure though, maybe different years did have matching trim pieces. I took all the trim pieces and head liner out when I re-did my interior this summer. I do plan on re installing them, but it doesnt look half bad with the nice black metal.

15. KrebsATM02

KrebsATM02 1/2 ton status

I put my york to the left of the alternator and on top of the smog pump. I used the smog pump for the tensioner. I emailed pics to Jeff on here and he said he was going to put them up on his site i think. - Doug

16. greg83k5

greg83k5 1/2 ton status

if you can, send them to me!

bbingham@ev1.net

or did jeff (solowookie?) post them somewhere??