Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Intermitant wipers????

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by blazen91, Nov 26, 2001.

1. blazen91

blazen91 1/2 ton status

On my 86 Burb, the wipers work fine on slow or fast, but the intermitant speeds do not work at all. Also, when you turn the lever forward to use the windshied washer, the water comes out but the wipers do not work. Has anyone had this problem before and fixed it, before I just start changing parts?? TIA!

<font color=red>....But I thought that sound was normal....!</font color=red>

2. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

I would say its the module. My '82 had no washers and figured for sure it was mechanical, but it was the module. Pretty easy swap, unplug and replace.

<a target="_blank" href=http://new.wavlist.com/movies/031/ag-blow.wav>"I ain't nobody, dork."</a>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/bigkern76>http://www.geocities.com/bigkern76</a>

3. blazen91

blazen91 1/2 ton status

Where is it located? Do you think it will be the same in my 91 Blazer, so I can check it before I replace it?

<font color=red>....But I thought that sound was normal....!</font color=red>

4. 502Burban

502Burban 1/2 ton status

I agree with Blazer Boy on the module being the problem. It should be attached to a metal bracket on the bottom of the steering column, with wires attached to both sides.

You can pick up a new one from LMC Truck for about $50, or get one from GM for more.

Robb
    '73 GMC Suburban - 502DFI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/robbrj>community.webshots.com/user/robbrj</a>

5. dysphemism

dysphemism 1/2 ton status

my 86 jimmy has the same problem. Every so often the intermidtant wipers will work but its rare. That and the windows suck are regular GM things. You can replace the module but its pretty much typical of GM to have wiper problems and window problems, I've got both!

Beefing up my truck broken part by broken part.
    1986 GMC Jimmy 9" lift, 38" swampers, and a sarcastic liscense plate holder.

6. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Do the wipers not come on at all when switched to intermittent, or do they come on a steady speed?

7. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

My intermittent wipers (I have a '90 column) only want to work at the longest delay or the shortest delay, but nothing in between. The problem in this case is the little variable resistor control attached to the column stick. Don't know if that could be your problem, though, since it doesn't explain the no wipers with wash problem.

<font color=green>Oh man, 4:10's are sure better than 3.08's!</font color=green>

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

The module is pretty easy to spot, its changed size/shape a few times, but typically its a half plastic rectangular box with aluminum cooling fins (heatsink) sticking out of it. Plugs on either end. About 4-6" long. It will be right near the column. Kind of a pain to get the connectors off. (screwdriver helps) Numerous 80's GM vehicles would likely be decent candidates as module donors.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    Why insist on counting when the ring gear has the tooth counts stamped in?

9. jwduke

jwduke 1/2 ton status

Jimmy38, take the connecters apart on your power window motors &amp; clean them up, also clean the brushes in the motors if cleaning the connections up doesn't work. That will make them work like new!

1 ton '87 Chevy SWB in the making!

10. Itali83

Itali83 1/2 ton status

I just did this last weekend, I bought it from GM for 35 bucks, cheaper than LMC and they had it right there. I took care of 99% of my intermittant wiper ghosts. It'll still pause mid stroke every once in a great while, I've had rain the last couple days so I've put it to the test. So it definitly helped mine, but didn't totally fix it, I'm guessing the other 1% of messing up is due to old and dirty connectors on everything else.
    Ben 87 Jimmy