Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Intermitent buzz/draw? on battery

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 72yellow, Mar 2, 2003.

1. 72yellow

72yellow Registered Member

I have been chasing a problem with charging the battery. I have changed the battery, alternator and have a new regulator to install. What I noticed when I was changing the alternator though was that a buzzing noise was coming from the battery about every two minutes. I had the ground off the battery and the positive cable on. Any idea what would cause that buzz???? I am also thinking that this would be a draw on the battery when the key is off.

2. Blazerholic

Blazerholic Registered Member

/forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif As luck would have it, I too am wondering what the H*LL that noise is! I just put in a new optima yellow top and mines doin the same thing. Any ideas??????

3. 72yellow

My only ideas are the radio and the regulator. The regulator will be replaced one of these nights and I'm moving it to a garage this weekend so I can work on it inside. I'll pull the radio and check all the grounds that another post on this site mentioned. After that would be to isolate the circuit and solve it.

4. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

id recomend grabbing a test light and figure out what is drawing juice from your battery. it may take a while, but you will be able to trace it down. start at the battery, remove the positve lead, and connect the test light between the postive on the battery and the positive lead. if the light comes on then it is drawing juice somewhere further in the system. id check the alternator next using the same method, if it doesnt light up it means the circuit is good. sorry if i bored you, my $.02

5. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

Gas bubbles often accumulate on the battery's plates during usage. The buzzing sound you're hearing is more than likely the release of many of these tiny little bubbles.

6. 72yellow

Would the buzz be only every minute or so and it is a new battery? I plan on testing all the electrical leads this weekend. I can't think of anything that would draw intermitenly?????