Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Intermittant/Flaky fan operation

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MikeH, Feb 21, 2003.

1. MikeH

MikeH Registered Member

Hello;
    Recently the fan on my '71 (w/AC) quit on me. But intermittantly it comes back on and works fine then will cut out again. Usually comes back on after driving for awhile.

Probably a short somewhere, i will check that out. just wondering if this has happened to anyone else.. Thanks

2. bouncytruck

bouncytruck 1/2 ton status

When I pulled the heater fan (don't have AC) the squirrel cage had been stuck in place and the motor continued to spin (well, for a while anyway). The center of the squirrel cage had melted away. It appeared that all the extra resistance killed the motor. The previous owner used a piece of tin foil over the fuse so the heater motor would keep running and not blow the fuse - brilliant!

Most likely a short, but check to see if anything is physically stopping the motor too.

3. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

Check the blower resistor first, then the switch in the control panel. The motors rarely go bad (but it does happen).

4. MikeH

MikeH Registered Member

Thanks guys, I will check it your suggestions...

MikeH

5. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

Bad switch.