Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Intermittant wiper upgrade

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Lee, Jan 8, 2002.

1. Lee

Lee Registered Member

Anyone know what I have to do to upgrade my crappy lo-hi wipers to intermittant wipers?????

Lee

2. Slayer

Slayer 1/2 ton status

Eastern Colorado, jokingly referred to as Western
    Actually, to tell you the simple truth, I bought one of those intermittent wiper boxes from J.C.Whitney and installed it. It splices inline with your wipers hot wire, and has a control (potentiometer) to adjust the delay. Can't remember how cheap it was, but it works and was easy to install.

<font color=blue>I don't know everything, I just think I do.............</font color=blue>[​IMG]

3. Lee

Lee Registered Member

Slayer:

Thanks for the info...I would like to go stock but beggars can't be choosers....

Lee

4. Slayer

Slayer 1/2 ton status

Eastern Colorado, jokingly referred to as Western
    Stock would be a WHOLE lot more expensive and time consuming. All I wanted was intermittent wipers with the least amount of trouble.

I'm sure that you could swap out the stock OEM wiper control box that controls your lo/hi wipers with an OEM relay control box that would have the adjustable delay circuit. Have no idea what one of those would cost, but it certainly isn't going to be 5 or 6 bucks. But I can understand your desire to keep your interior looking stock. With me, I'm just happy that only a few things fall off every month or so.

<font color=blue>I don't know everything, I just think I do.............</font color=blue>[​IMG]

5. your could find a newer column with the intermitent wiper deal on the turn sig and hack n' splice the wires to work. or get the factory one that is built into the original location. look on page 111 of the LMC cataloge and look at #29 and 31. might be able to make that work easier. good luck! i hate reaching down all the time to clear the windshield!

<font color=blue> Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

</font color=blue>

6. Tatman

Tatman Registered Member

Thanks for the info Slayer. I saw that setup too in JC Whitney and have been wanting to add the intermittent wipers to my K5 also. Now at least I have input from someone who has installed it.

Brian
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.saddletramps.com/BlazerK5.htm>www.saddletramps.com/BlazerK5.htm</a>

7. Ben Malinski

Ben Malinski Guest

Just go to the junk yard or a pick and pull and get the parts you need. Really EZ to swap; just time consuming.

8. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Keeping this to the top for ya Lee. I still think you can swap the intermittent switch AND the control box and make it an easy plug and play transition. Has to be someone who has done it.

<font color=blue>'79 ONE TON TPI K5 - See it at---&gt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com/>BlazzinOR's Beast Buildup</a>

9. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

also interested in this swap
    just chimin in

formerly 77chev
    still a jerk though

10. mnstr_fx

mnstr_fx Registered Member

I went backwards once.... My wipers would come on by themselves and I tracked it down the a bad connection between the wiper switch and the intermittant wiper box under the dash. Took out the switch and intermittant box and replaced it with a standard switch. Problem solved!

As long as you have the older style wiper switch, (down on the dash and not on the column), you should be able to replace your existing switch with the intermittant switch and intermittant box.

76-82 Chevy Pickup / Blazer - K5-K10-K30
    90' TBI
    TH 400
    203 / 205 Doubler
    Dana 60, Corp 14 - 4.88'd - Detroit Locked

11. 79Jimmy

79Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Ive done this swap. ITS SUPER EASY. Just have to go to the junkyard and pick up the dash switch and the module right behind it under the dash. It is truely plug and play, no splicing required. If your really lucky you'll get one that can actually read your mind and turn on without you having to even take your hands off the wheel[​IMG] ..... Many the force be with you.

James

jimmy79@shaw.ca

12. Lee

Lee Registered Member

Fellas:

Thanks for all the comments...my blazer is so option free it doesn't even hava a parking brake warning light I can't tell you how many times I have left it on until I smelled them burning.....oh well another option to add on...

Lee

13. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

I just put one in mine, it is an in-dash switch but is different than the older style (I think mine was only made '81-'83). It was a plug in type deal, though. Just replace the old switch with the new switch and delay module. Have no idea if it works yet though, since my batteries disconnected and the wiper motors been off since June.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

14. Tatman

Tatman Registered Member

Parking brake warning light? I don't have a parking brake! LOL Just froze up. Don't use it anyway.

Brian
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.saddletramps.com/BlazerK5.htm>www.saddletramps.com/BlazerK5.htm</a>