Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Intermittent Fuel Problems?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bpiccioni, Oct 9, 2003.

1. bpiccioni

bpiccioni 1/2 ton status

Vehicle:

87 3/4T 4x4 /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif 350TBI 4.10 TH400/208/14BSF/GM10B/MSD 6A

Problem:

When I make right hand turns onto my local highway, which usually involves a good deal of gas and a short, steep climb from a parking lot to the raised bed of the highway, I experience a noticable loss in power and acceleration.

After several seconds, this problem goes away and the motor roars back to life. It almost seems like a stutter you get when the gas is runnign really low, or a bog when you stomp a poorly adjusted, carbed vehicle's accelerator.

The only thing I could surmise is that I might have some problem with either an electronic device that wants to turn the fuel off, like an emergency sensor, or a bad connection somewhere to the fuel pump, like a wire that gets pinched when I make right turns uphill or something.

2. jeffro

jeffro 1/2 ton status

Do you filler up with gas or keep it below 1/4 tank?

3. bpiccioni

bpiccioni 1/2 ton status

I fill up w/ regular every time I go to the station - about 300+/- miles on my odometer. I have noticed the problem at all different tank levels, so I'm pretty sure it's not a pickup problem. However, my glovebox says I have a 31 gallon tank, although the rig can only seem to go at most 28 Gallons before it starts dying.

4. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

have you checked the fuel filter? Might be a good place to start and a pretty cheap fix. Probably should be changed anyways if you've never done it

5. bpiccioni

bpiccioni 1/2 ton status

Yah, I swapped it out with one the previous owner had left in the center console not too long ago - maybe as early as this past spring? Im not sure what brand it was (Carquest?), but it was new in the box.

I am pretty sure the problem existed before the fuel filter swap and still persists, but another fuel filter isnt too much $$$ just to be sure. Is there a 'GOOD' fuel filter I should consider?

6. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

maybe the baffle in your tank broken loose floatin around?

7. bpiccioni

bpiccioni 1/2 ton status

Is there an easy way to check for this without dropping the tank?

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Nope. Only clue I can think that it may give you, is problems with the fuel gauge readings sometimes...if the baffle is moving around, it may interfere with the float.