Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

internal engine cleaning, intake is gone

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by R72K5, May 21, 2003.

1. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

ive got a 350 in a truck out here that has had the intake and valvwe covers off for a couple years sitting, engine turns by hand and i cant see anything wrong with it so i think i will put an intake and carb back on it and see if it runs or not, there is alot of dirt and leaves int he lifter gallery and heads and such from being open for last couple years, any ideas on what would be best way to clan it up ? i figure blast all the dirt and stuff out with air and then use something like diesel fuel or something to rinse everything from above and drain out the oil pan.

ideas ?

2. monte0172

monte0172 1/2 ton status

First thing is to pull the oil pan to make sure you get everything out of the engine. the way you are going to clean it will work just fine but be sure to remove and clean the oil pan and prime the oil pump with some lithium grease or vaseline. then from sitting your rings are probably going to be rusted to the pistons so i would poor some transmission fluid/kerosene mix inthe cylinders and let it soak for a few days into the rings to loosen them up and this will also help on the valves. then after that go to town putting it together and see what shell do. shell probably smoke for a few days till the rings break completely free. Good luck.

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

everythign seems to be free, theres not much im gonna be aable to do as far as pre oiling, just gonna shoot some starting fluid down the barrells and crank her over, thats all i can do really, i dont really wish to pull pan on it

thanks

4. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

I'm doing the same thing to my motor, been sitting a while but it is together..or was,LOL
    I pulled the heads to do a TBI swap and I'm scrubbing it down with diesel and doing the tranny fluid in the cylinder trick too to bring it back to life. Drop the pan dude thats the only way to make sure EVERYTHING gets clean.

-Jeremy

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I can't imagine this motor running very well if there is dirt and leaves in the lifter valley. Most of us have heard ticking lifters, bits of dirt and leaves that have gotten into the lifters can't be good for them, but if you wanna try it, try it. I had a gallon of rain water end up in my motor, sat for months like that, yet fired up and ran for two years afterwards with no problem once I drained the water/oil.

I'd at *least* spray oil of some type in the cylinders and turn it over with hand. Probably full of rust in the cylinders, a little easier on the cylinders/rings if you rotate it by hand, with more than normal cylinder wall lubrication.

Washing it down with diesel isn't a bad idea, just drain it real good afterwards.

6. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

I dont think it will last very long if it does run

7. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

I'd pull the oil pan, take it to a carwash and spray the bejeezis out of it wi the high pressure washer. Just water, no soap. Let it sit for a day then oil the cylinders and prime the pump and let it fly.

8. MousePowrd

MousePowrd 1/2 ton status

It probably turns so easy because the lifters are all rusted in their bores and the rings are rusted to the pistons.

Come on, take a couple extra days and do it right.
    You HAVE to get a new cam. The thing has been in moisture for years. You may luck out and the old one might not be rusted to the bearings.

Pull the pan as others have said and inspect the bearings. $5 says one is bad that is why the engine sat in the field in the first place. Bearings are cheap if the crank is good.

I would pull the heads and put oil right in the cylinders. after working it in turn the engine over and see if the rings move like they are supposed to. The oil should stay on top of the piston for a LONG time before getting past the rings. If not put new rings in, as they are cheap too.

Be sure to let us know if it grenades or not /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif