Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Internal hubs on an external hub spindle???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BamBamblazer, Mar 1, 2004.

1. BamBamblazer

BamBamblazer 1/2 ton status

Ok i have a d44 that has external hubs, so i pulled the hubs to switch to internal and the spindle looks the same? I slid the internal hub on the external spindle and it seems right? I had read somewhere that you can't do this. Am i missing something here or will the internal hubs work on an external spindle??????

2. bluejeep

bluejeep 1/2 ton status

You can, as long as you put a small bearing hub on your small bearing spindle. IE, the external lockouts on dana 44's were early '70's. These are also the spindles/flat top knuckles people search for to use ford 5 on 5.5 hubs with. Not sure if Chevy offered an 8 bolt hub with a small inner wheel bearing, you might have to see if a ford one will work assuming you're running 8 bolt. Otherwise, trade your small spindles to me for some big bearing spindles and be able to run later model internal 8 bolt hubs.

3. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

My understanding is that the spindles are the same. I have a friend that once told me he used a 6 lug 10 bolt spindle on a 8 lug (ext type) D44.

4. BamBamblazer

BamBamblazer 1/2 ton status

Well i guess it will work, i just ran (ok i walked) outside and tried to put the external hubs in the internal spindles and they slid right on. Now correct me if i am wrong but if one is smaller it will not fit on the larger spindle. So since they both slid on ok i guess i got lucky and they will work! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

Here is a pic showing the smaller spindle vs. the bigger. The differences are obvious. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

[​IMG]

/forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

6. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    My understanding is that the spindles are the same. I have a friend that once told me he used a 6 lug 10 bolt spindle on a 8 lug (ext type) D44.

[/ QUOTE ]

I did 4 years ago...