Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

International Engines

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 1979jimmy350, Jan 2, 2005.

1. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

I know sombody that has this old international engine that came out of a dump truck. It is a gas engine and had a two barrel carb. I am looking for info on these engines. Also are these engines worth any money at all?

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

If I remember correctly, it like a 410 cubic inch engine. Worth anything ??? Not too many aftermarket parts for it, so not worth much to me, but to someone restoring a Internation, just might be.

3. 1979jimmy350

what sort of bellhousing pattern do these have on them and what type of trannys will bolt up to them and about how much horse power would one of these have i saw not egr or any emission controals on the engine

4. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

depends on what type of international it came out of...

could be a 304 (highly unlikely... this was a light duty motor)
    a 345 (not likely but found its way into some medium duty)
    or a 392..... there were thousands of these around...
    if it was an 8 wheeler or something like that then it could have the 410 or one of the weird gas engines,,,
    parts are expensive... they make horrible fuel mileage... the 392 however is bulletproof living in everything from delivery trucks moving vans to construction stuff... there are adapters around for these and they have many tranny possiblilities...
    you can go to pirate and then their international forum...or do a google search... theres a bunch of international forums....
    I dont think the engines are worth much but then again they arent around anymore so who knows to a collector... most of them are late 60s early 70s vintage and didnt have any smog stuff at all.. other than a pvc valve etc... but no real pollution controls... by the time those really hit International has already gone bankrupt

my 2 cents... stay away... too much work for not enough benefits,,, even if you get it for free... sell it and stay with chevy

I had a new 1510 4 x 4 series with a 5 speed overdrive (there were 2 factory options for 5 speeds thats how cool international was), 392.... it was a tank...unstoppable with a 10 foot western plow.... but then again gas was 32 cents a gallon too

cam

5. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

I have two International Buses, a '72 and a '75. They have Industrial 392 gas V8's in them, but they also have Holley 4-barrel carbs.

My '64 International and '73 International 3/4 ton 4x4 trucks have 345 V8's with Motorcraft 2 barrel carbs.

I've always had decent luck with International motors. They just keep running forever (course I don't drive the old Internationals like I do my other rigs... except the one bus last mud races... :grin: ).

I have heard the following statement said before about International motors in comparison to Chevy's: "The weight of a big block with the power of a small block".

I personally like old Internationals, but I wouldn't sink a whole bunch of money and time into a motor for towing or racing that will cost more to build than a GM motor.

6. super k

super k 1/2 ton status

I like Internationals.But,unless you`re trying to keep an International vehicle all IH,it`s not worth much.There`s alot of IH light trucks out there w/Chevy motors,for practicle reasons.Note:The 6.9 & 7.3 N/A diesels in Fords were built from IH gas motors.

7. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

They are low rpm, heavy as hell and love gas. They also run forever with minimal upkeep. I've had 2 345s and 1 392. Can't kill em except for over-revving. I think the redline is like 4400rpm.

8. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

The 6.9L and 7.3L diesels look NOTHING like any of the IH gas engines I've ever seen. Perhaps you're confusing them with the GM (Olds) 5.7L diesel?

9. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

FYI. International never went bankrupt. International simply quit making light trucks because they could not produce a high quality long lasting vehicle and still meet smog and other government regulations without major retooling.
    IH changed their focus to medium and heavy trucks and changed their company name to Navistar. They went public, got listed, on the NYSE.(NYSE symbol NAV). Navistar International Corporation is a rock solid company and has been producing record profits lately.
    Contrary to popular belief Ford did not make or design their new Power Stroke 6.0.The new Power Stroke, like the older 7.3L. Is built and designed by International Engine Co.
    International is still alive and very well.:thumb:

10. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

The IH diesels ARE NOT based off the gas engines.

It could be anything from a 304 on up. The engine size should be stamped on a casting pad above the fuel pump in front of the pass. head. You have to really look for it if the alternator, etc. are still on it. Some of them also had the engine size cast into the head, but you have to pull a valve cover to see it.

11. blind driver

blind driver Registered Member

I think the screwed up union always demanding things and going on strike may have had something to do with it:rolleyes: .

12. 1979jimmy350

there was a tag on the back of it that has 624J on it is that the casting number?