Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

International Scout... I won!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Capman2k, Mar 10, 2002.

1. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

Hey, this prolly belongs in the other rides section, but I want a quicker response by posting here /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience with International Scouts... I'm hoping to check out a 79 in the county (city isn't listed on ebay thing) if the guy calls me tomorrow... It could use paint and a right back corner piece thing and some interior work (and a freakin lift), but I can prolly take care of that if I sell the 'ru for what I'm thinking I can get out of it...

How much are parts normally (like at autozone)?? Are they hard to work on?? How much are lifts?? Anything else I should know??

Thanks!!!!

2. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Re: International Scout...

Hey I own a 75'. Lifts are not real cheap but not to high either just remember they are spring under like a Jeep so you have to get both front and rear springs. A 79 is a good year it will have a Dana 44 both front and rear and disk brakes up front.
    Parts can be a pain to get though but not imposible. Problems I have found is body mounts under the frount floor boards can rust out but you can get replacements from JC witney for pretty cheap. I have a 345 in mine and it had a cracked head between the valve seats on the #5 cylinder. I tore appart 3 motors at the local junkyard to get a set of heads and the all had simaler cracks as well.
    It's pretty easy to get used parts on line there are several club's that have started their own junkyards I belive one of the is Gettem up Scout.
    Since Im gonna swap a big block in my Blazer I plan on putting my 350 in the Scout so I dont have a problem with parts. They are pretty solid and they are basic and easy to work on which makes them good for building a trail rig.

3. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

if it is a spring under, do a spring over, gains about 5" of lift. All you would need are spring pads, steering correction pieces, shocks and breaklines, use the stock springs and get good flex/forums/images/icons/cool.gif If the price is right go fo it!

4. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=blue> I'd love to have a nice Scout ! They are bad ass looking when lifted and with bigger tires ........... I almost bought one instead of the Blazer when I was looking for a ride.

5. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Scouts are pretty cool, I think I'd like to get one someday too.
    There's a guy at my train station that has a gorgeous one I used to think of as a pavement pounder. I used to walk past it everyday and think, "bummer, this thing would probably be a lotta fun in the woods", then one monday it was covered in mud... Gave me new respect for that truck...

6. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I like Scouts. They are good little rigs. The 79 is a good year. the 304 or 345 are excellent engines real stump pullers. You may even get lockers. A lot of scouts came with them. I had them in front and back on mine.
    Most parts are'n too hard to find Napa use to carry a lot of International stuff.
    Here's a couple of sites that sell some good build up stuff for Scouts.
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dandcextreme.com/>D&amp;C Extreme</a>

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.scoutmadness.com/>Scout Madness</a>

There are also some International sites listed over at Top 4x4 that have good message boards and good info.

7. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

A spring-over on a scout is expensive. I took my axels in to have the converted and I was told that the differintal would have to be replaced with one from a Chevy. Since the spring on the passenger side mounts right to the differintal. and not to the tube it's self. I thought that maybe you could grind a flat spot on the top of the Scout differintal but ther is not enough metal there.

8. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

I like scouts...I've got a friend down here in my club with a mildly built one. LOL.

http://www.hlpco.com/IHCofNTX/images/GlamourShots/matts1980a.JPG

And if you want a bunch of pics of modified scouts, check this out. takes forever to load on dialup though. Too many pics.
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?s=b932c4f16df81c8dcd3016030a914993&amp;threadid=33699>http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?s=b932c4f16df81c8dcd3016030a914993&amp;threadid=33699</a>

9. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

Corey 78K5 said:
    Since Im gonna swap a big block in my Blazer I plan on putting my 350 in the Scout so I dont have a problem with parts. They are pretty solid and they are basic and easy to work on which makes them good for building a trail rig.

<hr></blockquote>

get rid of the scout engine?? wackey... with exception to apparently crap heads, the blocks on those things are nearly indestructable. like all other good international innovations, they made the blocks out of high nickle content alloy, so that they never wore out. one of my friends' dad had one... he tore the engine down 3 times in the time he owned it for rebuilds, because it'd been 150,000+ miles... in all 3 cases, there was no scalable wear on the cylendar walls, so the engine shop just honed them out, and he put new rings on, and put it back together.

I've thought about getting a scout, and one of these days I might just have to do that, although as with most things I look at, bigger MUST be better, so I'll just get a Travelall instead.... ( there's one for sale on a used car lot for 1000 bucks cash right now in Mesa, most likely a 2wd)

-Rich

10. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

There's a stretched Travellall up in the mountains by Talahiena, ok. The thing has 4 or 5 doors per side....looks like a good job too. Unfortunately it's sitting in a field and could use some freshening up. Sounds like that's right up your alley since bigger must be better. LOL

11. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

mildly built, huh? LOL..

Well I put my bid on the Scout (on ebay)... Hopefully I'll get it, I have some plans for it already /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif..

<a target="_blank" href=http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&amp;item=1810989114&amp;r=0&amp;t=0&amp;showTutorial=0&amp;ed=1015899576&amp;indexURL=0&amp;rd=1>http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&amp;item=1810989114&amp;r=0&amp;t=0&amp;showTutorial=0&amp;ed=1015899576&amp;indexURL=0&amp;rd=1</a> if anyone wants to keep an eye on it for me /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

12. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

Those were stock, made for logging outfits and search and rescue. there is one here, same set up too...out in a field.

13. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Yeah mildly built. He's running a 454 engine, 14B/D60, 1/4 elliptic rear springs, about 24" bobbed off, negative approach and departure, 44" boggers. I'm glad he's almost through building it so I can go show him up on the trails. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

14. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

5 door travelall........ /me drools....

BIGGER IS BETTER!!!

any idea who the owners of such creations might be, and if they could see it in thier hearts to seperate with them? ( I'd almost be willing to bet they'd give me money to take the damn thing away) of course, the real problem wiht a large stretch vehicle like that, is that I doubt it'd fit on the trailer I have available for transport....

-Rich

15. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

i'll try to snap a pic next time i'm up that way. it's a behemoth.

16. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

kool, I almost bought a 1961 C30 `airport limo' suburban... had 4 doors up a side, with extended rear storage space... something like 5 rows of seats originaly. would have bought it if I'd had any spare money sitting around... it was a real Fixer upper. I need to see iffin I can find out what the guy did with that thing, and go get it. ( afterall, I have a spare 454 just screaming `USE ME!' ) when I was looking into getting it, my Co-workers mocked me... got me good tho... kyle was like `oh my god, he's gonna take it back up to the mountians, and let it rot away, and possibly strip it bare? YOU HAVE TO SAVE IT!' about 5 seconds into my agreement, I heard thier laughter....

I need to go cry for a while.....
    -Rich

17. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Well like I said it's a plan. I can't say for sure I will do it though. I know the engines are good and from what I hear they are usually good for 200,000 mi. But I'm just thinking down the road every day parts are harder to get or real expensive as compared to a small block Chevy. On a brighter side I do have a four barrel manifold I got off of one of the junk engines and from what I read they wern't as plentyfull as the two barrel ones. I could always have the head's I got magnaflucked and if possibel have a machine shop grind out the cracks and have them weld in the cracks as a last alternative. I had a shop quote me at $200 per head to do it.

18. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

WHOOHOO I won!!!!! /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

19. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Right on! Thats cool dude. Scout's are cool they're kinda like a Blazer in the sence that the Jeep and early Bronco guys are always bashing them and saying they cant wheel. You'll have fun with it. Once you crawl under it and check it out you will see just how simple they are. Since it's a 79 it will have a Dana 44 front and rear a Dana 20 T-case (the Dana 300 T-case was only in the 80' model). As far as trannys go I cant remember what the used for the manual but the auto's were 727 torque-flight's (chrysler) with the International bell housing. The size of the engine will be on a sticker on the valve cover or if that is missing just pop off a valve cover and it will be imbossed in the head. Oh one other cool thing it's already got cross over steering /forums/images/icons/wink.gif