Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

international

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by steveo, Jul 8, 2004.

1. steveo

steveo Registered Member

while walking today at the local farm equipment yard i found an old international truck im guessing 70's? and when i looked at the axles i was stumped, the front looks like the size of a dana 70 but with closed knuckles and the rear looks like a massive oversized ford 9" what are these? its a straight 6 with a 4 speed the transfer case is missing but it has a pto winch and a backhoe attatchment on the back thats also pto driven and the whole back is made of like 1/8" steel diamond plate and a huge front winch bumper the guy wants $400 bux for it, /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gifand the thing is totaly straight, perfect condition,i found my new toy but can anyone help me out with these axles and where can i find a transfer case for it or does anyone even know what the t case is claled in this one?

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

That front is probably a closed knuckel D44. Pass on it. More trouble then it's worth. A after 73 open kncule will actually have stonger shafts and u-joints.

Rear may be a eaton. Limited stuff available like lockers.

Proably ran a 200 case. Very simular to a 205.

If youy like the body style buy it. If you just want to drive it then it's fine the way it is.

If you plan to build it into a wheeler them plan on scrapping the drivetrain and axles.

3. steveo

steveo Registered Member

this deffinately was no dana 44, the pumpkin was about the size of my 14 bolt rear, this thing has massive axles, basically i just want this truck to make my own lift kit for cheap, open up the fenders and use it as my extraction/thrashing truck, im not interested in throwin in lockers or regearing or anything i basically wanna just get it up /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif and geetter dun /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

4. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

Sounds like a mid-late '60s truck. I have a '64 3/4 ton 4x4 International with axles like you described. I also have a '73 3/4 ton 4x4 International, and it has a Dana 44 open knuckle front, and a Dana 60 rear.

5. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

It's probably either a D60 or D70 front, and Corporate RA-15 rear. Like was already stated, the closed knuckle axles are weak. The RA-15 also has a unique bolt pattern, so dont plan on just going and buying wheels for it.

Go to http://www.binderbulletin.org/forums/? for all the IH info you can handle.

6. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

DAMN, YOU GUYS ARE HARSH ON THOSE CLOSED KNUCKLES, I'm running one on my blazer and it only had one weak spot which I quickly remidyed, the hub flange mounting studs are very small fine threaded, just punch them out and drill out the holes to accept the hardened bolts from a D60 like I did, the closed knuckles fromethe pre73 models have huge axle shafts and big u joints plus the ujoints are always submerged in gear oil, in the closed part of the knuckle. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif