Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Internet access while on the road?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mountainexplorer, Feb 24, 2004.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

Is it at all possible to have internet access while being mobile?

For example, say a person had a computer with them on a trip, but no access to phone lines. How would one go about getting online from that computer?

2. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

My brother had a cell phone that he could plug into a laptop and use as a modem... I don't remember what model it was though... I was gonna buy it from him but he traded it in for another phone /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

3. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

you can plug into some cell phones and get online /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

ther is a place by me that has wireless broadband. there might be a place by you that has the same /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

5. mountainexplorer

So... I need a cell phone that is setup for wireless broadband?

I'm really dumb when it comes to this stuff. My cell phone I have now is through Verizon.

Basically, if I were to get the right phone, I could plug the computer into it (any computer, or one w/ a special modem?), get online and do what I'd normally do when I'm at home? Thats what I'd love to be able to do while on this summers trip. But assuming I'm travelling 3,000 miles in a circle through several states, would types of service/roaming charges and all that other stuff affect if I could get online?

And whatever it is, Im sure its expensive.

6. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

If you have a laptop, you can get a wireless WiFi card..........just got one for my Dell. Pretty cool, Goober told me about this website that has access points listing. Most Starbucks are now supposed to be offering 'free' public wifi access (still get addicted to the $4 mochas /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif) and there are more and more hotels that are offering it, as well as airports.

7. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

you might want to look into getting a satallite access system for your vehicle

cell phones will work, but they are iffy, and horribly expensive and slow.

8. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

I'm sure there are truck stops these days that you can hook a laptop in.

9. mountainexplorer

Well, I don't have a laptop. I was thinking thrifty thoughts along the line of throwing my computer into the motorhome and magically being able to get online from where I'm camped at from inside the motorhome. I'm too much of a hermit to go to a public place to use a computer.

How much might a Satellite access system cost?

10. bigburban383

bigburban383 1/2 ton status

I have seen satillites on motor homes. You can get high speed internet access through the internet. If you want to do internet gaming it wont work well because theres about a 1 second delay, but with something like online poker it wont matter.

11. big83chevy4x4

im not exactly sure on the wireless broadband but i think it has its own reciever and transmitter that hooks to sell phone towers. it might be just the internet tower that you can hook up to not call towers. i think its the same a cable here, but you have to buy the equipment

12. big83chevy4x4

im not exactly sure on the wireless broadband but i think it has its own reciever and transmitter that hooks to sell phone towers. it might be just the internet tower that you can hook up to not call towers. i think its the same a cable here, but you have to buy the equipment

13. big83chevy4x4

14. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

Okay, we get the point /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

15. SS66

SS66 1/2 ton status

Satellite systems are horribly expensive! Thousands of dollars for the dish, then around $100 per month for use. Honestly, if you want to just surf the web.. A cell phone will work. I used my cell phone for 6 months that way. It was faster than my 56k. I got a cheap $50 Verizon phone from Radio Shack then the cable which is another $20. If you use it durin 'nights and weekends' it wont cost you minutes. I say go for the phone thing, its practical and inexpensive ( mostly ) Depends on your plan I guess

16. mountainexplorer

$70 sounds more in my price range rather than thousands. Especially considering:
    #1- I havent even paid for the motorhome yet.
    #2- I calculate it will cost an additional $500-$900 to get everything roadworthy.
    and #3, I calculate we will burn just over 600 gallons of gas during the trip, so I am alloting about $1200 for that (divided amongst # of people going).

The internet thing is one of my "ideas" of bringing another convenience of home with us. That way I won't miss out on two weeks of stuff that goes on around here. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Since I already have a Verizon phone, I wonder if I could just "upgrade" or something to the one I'd need for Internet connections.

17. SS66

SS66 1/2 ton status

Most of the new phones are capable of connecting to the internet, I got a Samsung A310 ( I think ) The phone is complete GARBAGE as far as reception and features are concerned. But I guess it does its job.

18. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

There are internet cafes and then there are also computers on line in most libraries... But if you have a cell phone that is nation wide you could hook into the net like that. Just do it at night and on weekends. RV places also have internet connections...

19. Strahan

Strahan 1/2 ton status

Sprint PCS has a data plan where you get a PCMCIA card modem and it will get you 144kbps connection. The plans are based on bandwidth, they have 30, 40, 70 and 300mb/month plans. A 40mb/month plan is $60/mo and 300mb is $100. The PCM card runs 100 something - 200 something.

It's not super fast, but it's not horrible either. I used a friend's PCM card to stream video from my webcam in the truck to my site one time I was wheeling. It was very cool /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

20. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Verizon has a card for a laptop, airprime aircard or something like that. We use them where I work for certain execs, they're like 56k+ and work anywhere a verizon cell phone works. It's basically a cell phone that only calls the cell data network (well, a little more complex than that, but not much) and only passes data. I beleive the plans are about that same as a cell phone plan. The card's about $250, though, so I'd guess that busts your budget.

You can go with an 802.11 card in the PC, with an external antenna hooked up to the truck, and probably find plenty of places to pick up a signal. Beware, if you park in remote locations, you probably won't find squat, and as you're driving, you can probably pick up and lose a signal faster than you can do anything on it.
    I've had to do that at times, jump on the internet from my laptop "borrowing" some other folks signals when I'm on the road. I even wrote a paper about the importance of security on those networks...