Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

internet gurus click here......

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by gotmud?, Aug 14, 2002.

1. gotmud?

gotmud? 1/2 ton status

anbody know if someone can get your name just by having your ip address? by the way I have cable so I think my ip stay's the same all the time.

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

yes they could they could also use it to hack into your pc and get info from it

3. gotmud?

gotmud? 1/2 ton status

does'nt a good firewall hide the last 4or 5 #'s?

4. gotmud?

gotmud? 1/2 ton status

let me be more specific...could someone monitor msg. boards for key words then pluck said msgs. from the board then FWD. the msg. to someone else with the name of the person who posted the msg. even if you gave no name when registering for the board.

5. Dieselmh

Dieselmh 1/2 ton status

Oh Yeah, it's possible. We provide internet service and we can see your IP, username, password, phone number, etc. We can also monitor your traffic if the Feds request it.

6. ChevyHuny

ChevyHuny 1/2 ton status

I can see that a ISP could do that but I think he is asking if just anybody can. ????

7. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

If you know how you can do that.... I go to church with a guy who can hack about anything. He works as someone who stops hackers for Apple. But a time or two on dares he's gotten into some stuff he shouldn't have.... but yeah someone like him could do that and more....

8. ChevyHuny

ChevyHuny 1/2 ton status

Its a scarry thing. Ive decided to get into software, networks firewalls all that jazz to try to protect myself. But it seems like nomatter what you have, someone out there can get through it.
    [​IMG]

9. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Scary, yes, but Mike Bloomberg (inventor of the Bloomberg device, a stock market pager or something) once said,

"Never do anything on a computer you wouldn't want to see on the nightly news with your name on it." Basically, consider everything you do on the net as having someone watching over your shoulder, so don't do what you wouldn't want someone to see.

People can and do watch the internet. If you have a decent firewall that allows it, you can see occasional probes looking for an open machine.

Don't ever believe it when someone tells you it's un-hackable. The only unhackable systems are the ones unplugged! Linux has gotten my interest as it seems to be pretty resistant to attack, though...

10. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

I was using Black Ice for awhile and you could see people scan you and sometimes trace them... lots of good it'd do to trace them considering they weren't using their own ISP's to begin with to locate them and say leave me alone!!

11. ChevyHuny

ChevyHuny 1/2 ton status

Its not what I put on the web that Im worried about. I only put on the web what I wouldnt mind being seen. Its people being able to get inside my computer and mess with things. I dont have anything to hide but I dont want somebody hacking into my computer and being able to view all of my files.
    That is what I would like to try to protect.

12. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I should've phrased that differently. The bloomberg point was that you should always be aware that anything you do could be seen. Maybe not right now, maybe not tomorrow, but if it's there, there's a good chance someone that wants to see it bad enough will get to it.

Did you know your IM conversations can be saved by the person your talking to without your knowledge? That itself is a super-simple example of the tracking possiblities. Those conversations are not always blown off into the wind when you close the window...

Think of it exactly like sex. You can use a condom, birth control, whatever, the best way to avoid pregnancy or disease is still abstinence. It's less likely with the other methods, but still possible.

13. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I get port scanned all the time. If you have some type of firewall up ( I use a hardware firewall with port blocking and then I use NAT ) you will detere 99.9% of your casual hackers. You can always get hacked but it can take some effort and who would really be interested enough to do it?
    As long as you have something up I would forget about it.

14. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

i run zone alarm /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

15. Ck1500

Ck1500 1/2 ton status

yes it is totally possible, i got into trouble when i was 17 messing around with computers all the time /forums/images/icons/frown.gif not good, since then i have grown a brain and not tried any illegal acts on the computer, theres alot of people out there looking for certain things, theres a couple of programs like IPNETDETECT that will give you the option of tracing Ip's that have somehow found you, theres also a couple of things to remember , unless you have something someone wants. you really shouldn't worry, my theory is don't mess with someone unless they mess with you ... then its fair game. firewalls are the easiest to complicate a hacker, but stuff like black ice was never a challenge cuz there technology hasn't changed in about 8 years hehehe . zone alarm is cute , but not as effective as a simple firewall from your system. welp enough rambling on, hope this helps

Ck1500