Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Interrim shocks???

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by tuffdogstudio, Nov 18, 2004.

1. tuffdogstudio

tuffdogstudio 1/2 ton status

Havent made any decisions yet on a lift for my 84 3/4 ton 4x4 sub, but I do need shocks, and immediately. Front tires are cupping and ride is extremely rough (shocks look like they could be original).

Local part stores have a few options:

El cheapo option:
    Monroe straight replacement shocks $14.99each X 6 = $85.94

Midrange options:
    Monroe Sensa-Track shocks $38.99each X 6 = $233.94
    Rancho RS5000 shocks $38.99each X 6 = $233.94

As high as I'm willing to go option:
    Monroe Reflex Truck shocks $46.99each X 6 = 281.94

Of the choices above, which ones should I get just as temporary shocks? I'd love to get away with the el cheapo ones and save up for my lift but also want to improve my ride quality and try to stop the tire cupping issue.

I have to drive about 700 miles round trip for Thanksgiving and need to make this decision by Saturday morning so I can get the shocks installed this weekend.

2. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

well it your going to do your lift rather soon, go cheapo, it its goiung to be a little longer go mid range, and drop the 2 extra shocks on the front, dont need them.

check with tim in the venders forum he'll hook you up with good stuff for great prices /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

3. tuffdogstudio

[ QUOTE ]
    well it your going to do your lift rather soon, go cheapo, it its goiung to be a little longer go mid range, and drop the 2 extra shocks on the front, dont need them.

check with tim in the venders forum he'll hook you up with good stuff for great prices /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure when the funds will come through on the lift (life happens). As for the "extra" shocks, why would I not need them? This rig has a 454 if that matters? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

4. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

it dosent make your ride smoother, mine rides ruff as hell.

there comeing off soon as i get new shocks too /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

a friend of mine had the quad shocks on a truck of his and when he when over a set of railtracks the shocks bound up and ripped the seconed one out and did some damage. 4 good shocks are really all you need, unless your a show truck poser then go foe 12 or 14 crome plated shocks /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

5. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure when the funds will come through on the lift (life happens). As for the "extra" shocks, why would I not need them? This rig has a 454 if that matters? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

With the quad shocks the 2 in the front are softer to equal one regular shock.
    The replacement shocks are most of the time not the original softies.
    They went with 2 shocks for heat dissipation and fade control.
    But a good el cheapo Monroe will do fine for up to a year or maybe 2.
    Don't get anything more before you get the lift, that is $200 extra you can use towards the lift.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. tuffdogstudio

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

With the quad shocks the 2 in the front are softer to equal one regular shock.
    The replacement shocks are most of the time not the original softies.
    They went with 2 shocks for heat dissipation and fade control.
    But a good el cheapo Monroe will do fine for up to a year or maybe 2.
    Don't get anything more before you get the lift, that is $200 extra you can use towards the lift.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, ElCheapo Monroes for me then, and hopefully within a year or two I can scrape up the dough for the lift, kid will be all borned up and the hospital should be paid off by then. Thanx for the advice guys /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

7. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

this "x6" thing is a mistake. my sub came with duals on the front and i got rid of them asap! most lift springs are stiffer than stockers and dual shocks makes it 11 million times worse!

8. tuffdogstudio

El Cheapo shocks are in, I put in all 6 for now and will probably ditch the extra shocks up front when the lift plans get finalised. Old shocks were El Cheapos as well and were completely collapsed, rides much better now and I can concentrate on getting the rest of the "little stuff" fixed.