Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

intertubes in a dd?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by WakeBoard&4X4er, Jun 21, 2003.

1. WakeBoard&4X4er

WakeBoard&4X4er 1/2 ton status

This weekend i sliced the side wall in my 35 inch tires. they have about 20K on them and have about half tread. what do you think about putting a tube in there with a patch on the side wall? I was just think that this would be a spare, b/c i have a tires (different) with about the same tread not the same brand, that i could put on the rim and run this if i cut a different tire.

I have a friend that runs slick on this car when he want to hit it hard... and they run tubes... so...

any input would be good.

thanks

brett

2. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    Why not? I keep a spare tube in my tool box just in case.
    If I cut mine I would use it as a spare. I would avoid any hwy use with it if you had to use it as a spare though.

3. leadfoot067

leadfoot067 1/2 ton status

i cut the sidewall of my sx and used a large sidewall patch and a tube and that was over a year ago .......havent had any trouble yet /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

ive had 4 tubes for 2 years now and no problems. twice in the 2 years the rimes have rubbed a small hole in the tube. both times they got patched for like 3.00 i have old rims and probably wouldnt have probs if they werent rusty. but i have new rims coming. i have 33 x 10.50 x 16

nmathan

5. WakeBoard&4X4er

what size was your slice? mine is about 2 inchs

6. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

a long time ago, people used to run tubes in everything, remember split rims, you had to run a tube, i am thinking of running some in some tires that are weather rotted and won't hold air /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

7. Sinful_Nature

Sinful_Nature Registered Member

I have one that is dry rotted, which I'm slapping a tube in. it will become my spare. I was talking to a buddy of mine the other day and he warned me to ensure the rim was clean (no dirt or rust). Thought I would pass along the info.

8. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

damn, i all most had this post sent, i hit backspace and the thing sent me to a PM isent 1/2 hr ago. anyway i had tubes in 3 of my 40's for over two years freeways, offroad,etc. with no problems. as long as they are not radials. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

9. WakeBoard&4X4er

Why not radials??? that is what i have... donlop mts

10. WakeBoard&4X4er

Thanks all, i think /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif i am going to call around about have the tire patched, volconised (sp/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif), and tubed. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I called one place and they told me they would do it but they think it is not the best idea. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif I hope that i can run this tire .... but we will see. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Thanks!

brett

if any one else want to add there $.02 COOL /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif!!!!!!!!!!

11. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

We have guys in our club with good luck fixing sidewall cuts with a boot (i.e. sidewall patch). Not a lot of places still do this so look around, a shop that does big truck or ag equipment tires might be the best bet.

For tubes, you need to get one that is specifically designed for radial tires. A standard bias-ply tube will probably not hold up because of the extra flex and heat generation of the radial.