Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

interview today....

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by sled_dog, Sep 7, 2006.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

still not 100% what I'm going to say when I see him. My chance I had found to practice up on my welding, well it passed me by. Damn guy never showed up last night like I told him to.

2. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Just go in with confidence and be yourself. He is looking, and looked your way.

Good luck! :thumb:

3. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

If he has called more than once, he wants to hire you. Just don't give him any reason not to. Stay positive. Not "I suck at welding because I'm out of practice" Try "I really enjoy fabrication and was getting very good. A little practice and I'll be great"

Good luck.

4. shewheeler

shewheeler 1/2 ton status

Best of luck!!!

5. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Good advice. He'll be judging your character more than your skill set. Most employers will re-train you anyway. What they want to see is a person with a consistently positive attitude who can overcome obstacles.

Best of Luck!

6. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

good luck

7. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Get your ass back on here asap and give us an update when it is over.........that is after you change your shorts...............

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

alright, now heres how it went down....

I walked in, he was finishing up talking to a customer who was soon to pickup his project. Project? A Harley drag bike. Full on race bike. Thing was sick.

He finished talking to that guy, wrote down the guys name so he didn't forget it(ha), and then he went right to setting up his TIG welder. He set a spot up for me. I spent oh approximetally the next hour TIG welding. Mainly reteaching myself since its been over 8 months since I TIGed anything... He came out, took a look at what I had done and then showed me what he was looking for. His style is of course aesthetically pleasing. Mine looks nice but not nearly as nice as his and is more of a linear flowing style, where as his is a beaded, "Quintisential TIG weld" look. You can of course tell I'm using a TIG but not like him. So anyway, he watched over my shoulder as I tried to mimic his style(which is a bit more of a style I was not taught to do). He stopped me after each weld and gave me pointers. Finally ending with the feeling that I had all the needed ideas down and that it was going to come down to practice. Ok thats encouraging, he was discussing practicing....

Then we really talked. We discussed my experience with fabrication and what hes looking for. He was saying, he could care less if I can weld worth a damn if I can fabricate. Of course he'd love for me to do both, but for me to fully build a cage and just have him come through and weld, thats fine by him.

I'd be about the 3rd person hes ever hired from what I gather. So hes not versed in the whole "what I need to do when hiring" things. So he says he is going to take a few days and think about if there is any information he needs before making his decision and let me know. But as it stands, he wants to take me on part time, fabricating and practicing my welding. A very encouraging thing.

I need to have a talk with the boss at work and see whats going to be the setup. More than one guy has a setup where they HAVE to be out of our shop by 4, its one of their requirements for working there(the dealership this is). So I want to discuss that type of setup with him. Feed him some line about really wanting to improve my technician work and all that but need to take on a second job to keep it a viable setup for me.

I must admit, I left MUCH happier than I anticipated leaving there. So now its just waiting to hear from him, calling him in oh say a week if I don't hear and see whats what. Hopefully I will be working LONG days and doing something that actually puts a smile on my face while still having my benefits and pay of my full time job.

9. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

Good job sled i hope it all works out for ya

10. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Sounds like You went in relaxed.
    I would really like to try out tig welding. I have never even seen one, but I can mig and arc like a mofo.

11. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

you are a mofo

kick ass sled, glad it went well

12. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

Glad to hear it man! good luck with all of it bro!:D

13. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I just hope it works out in my favor. If this happens it will likely mean 14 hour work days. Thats fine by me, just wonder if my body agrees...

14. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Sound like you have a good chance, hope your dream comes true.

15. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Glad you gave it your best shot. Remember:

"The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheaply, we esteem too lightly; 'Tis dearness only that gives everything its value."

Thomas Payne

16. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

yopu can get used to long days after a while.

sound like the perfect job, if he is doing cool stuff like that.

If you have inovation in your fab, and good quality the rest will come and it will all work out too cool buddy too cool

17. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Sounds like you are on the way.

18. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

But can you Gas (Oxy-fuel) Weld? If you can do that somewhat competently then picking up a TIG and at least not making dog turds will be a natural.

Sled, was the machine you were using a pulsing machine? If not I'd venture some sort of Metronome would really be a bonus in 'stacking the dimes.'

19. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Not a pulse machine. Not very old but not very new Miller liquid cooled machine. I'm not too familiar with TIG machines overall, just the basics on how to set them up for mild steel work. He was showing me his method of "stacking" which was simple hold, move, dab... hold, move, dab... a simple concept just something I will have to relearn. It was the method I used when I originally started TIG welding, but at school they taught us to move away from that in favor of thorough penetration and uniform welds(even if not the stack of dimes look hes looking for). I am certain I can get it down with practice, maybe adding a metronome will help, I'll have to consider that.

20. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

When you are young the long hours aren't too bad. It's even easier if you think it will lead you down the right path. Hope you get the call!