Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Introduction - New AZ Member

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain Region' started by teamhickman, Aug 28, 2004.

1. teamhickman

teamhickman 1/2 ton status

Well, I wanted to take a minute and introduce ourselves to the forum. My name is Andrew and my wife is Jill. We'v been wheeling for a long time and are ready to enter the K5 world. Our most recent truck was a 1974 Early Bronco which was sold a couple of weeks ago. We ran that for about 5 years and had a 3/4 ton chevy pick up for about 10 years prior to that.

The Bronco was an outstanding vehicle and I hated to see it go but we need more room so after considering all the options, cost and buildability we decided on a Blazer. Other than the overall weight, it will suit our needs perfectly. So we hope to identify a suitable canidate before the end of Oct and we will begin the build up.

I'm looking forward to meeting everyone and hope to get out and take a look at the blazers here in AZ and see how they're being set up and run. I do consider us pretty "Hard Core"and we'll try most anything but have always tried to avoid breakage by driving smart, not hard.

I hope that enough of an introduction to get us going and I'm really looking forward to meeting everyone.

Thanks,

Andrew

*If anyone hears of a decent Blazer for sale in AZ, please let me know. Would like to keep the initial purchase price to 3500 or less.

*Still have a complete and running parts Bronce (No title) if anyone is interested

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Welcome . You'll love it here . I was new here myself not that long ago , after lurking for awhile I posted up and called some people . These guys here are nothing but straight up . You come out and wheel and we will be there to help . There are trails for all levels . /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

As for checking out the other rides , there should be runs coming up shortly . And the trucks here , well lets just say ; after a few runs with the guys here you will end up either A. Cutting up your truck , or B. Scoring another for wheeling . Its all about the flex and keeping it lower , most are on 4 inch springs and either rear springs or a shackle flip , or a springer . And run 35's or bigger . /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

3. pauly383

Oh and if your looking , there are many in town , some even for sale on here . There is several right by my house as I type for sale /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Welcome to the site. You have found a great group of guys that is sounds like you will fit in with well. You've wheeled so you probably know somewhat about how we setup trucks here. There are 2 schools of thought in AZ wheeling with us. One is super flexy with drop shackles, long springs, soft springs, etc. The other is stock style lift springs and a little bigger tire. Both try and keep a low center of gravity. Both methods of thought work also you just have to learn to drive what you build.

There is also 2 groups in wheeling here too. You can either do a lighter stuff and keep the truck clean or if you run the harder stuff you will get sheetmetal damage.

I started life as a keep the truck clean and hit some good trails, but gave up on that and now I am not to concerned about body damage and want to run with the big boys on the good trails.

Harley

5. teamhickman

Harley/Paul,

Thanks for responding! As I mentioned, my wife and I have been wheeling AZ for a long time so we’re not strangers to body damage and the sawzall….:) I couldn’t agree more with the low center of gravity argument……so cutting and grinding will be in our future. The biggest concern I have at this point is overall vehicle weight. I’ve really become a believer in the “Lighter the better” argument. So I’m curious to find out how much the top weighs. I know the doors are around 80 Lbs. and the hood is around 70. I’m guessing the top is around 300 so losing those items should reduce vehicle weight by around 530 Lbs. That’s a lot of weight for simply unbolting stuff.

Again, thanks for taking the time to respond.

Andrew

6. Jays Beast

Jays Beast 1/2 ton status

Welcome to CK5, like Harley mentioned there are two ways to setup your trucks suspension. If my family isn’t with me on the next trail run I go on you are welcome to ride along, to see how the different setups work. As far as weight try wheeling a /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

7. therobzilla

therobzilla 1/2 ton status

Andrew,

Welcome to CK5 and the "Former Arizona" forum. It's good to hear of another Blazer that is going to hit the trails.

Harley had somewhat hit the nail on the head when it comes to the Blazer you will see on the trail here. Mild to Wild. The one thing to remember here when it comes to blazers, is to go on a few runs with us and check out what we are running. Do not listen to everything you hear on this site. I am one of the guys that does not agree that you have to have 1 ton running gear in order to wheel. I have been and will continue to be on of the 1/2 ton guys. Just do a search on 1/2 vs 1 ton, and you will see some of the heated discussion regarding this topic.

The main thing to remember here is to have a good time. You dont totally have to tear your rig up here to have a good time. We as a group will respect your decision if you want to wheel but not want to tear up your #hit. We will do everything to get you thru to spot with the least amount of damage.

I do and have always recomended locker both front and rear, and gears. You can do a bunch of stuff in AZ with 2 lockers, crossover steering and gears.

Other than that, it's up to you. Hope to see you on the next run.

Rob

AKA "therobzilla"

8. mosesburb

mosesburb For Rent Premium Member GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    As far as weight try wheeling a /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif with a Cummins

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I'd reeeaally like to try that SOMETIME /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

Welcome Andrew.
    I can't add much of anything as Paul and Harley said it already /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif.
    Nick

9. teamhickman

Rob,

Great Post! I couldn't agree more! Run what you can, drive smart and have a great time!

if soneone has an empty seat on one of your next runs and wouldn't mind me riding along, pleae let me know.

Andrew

10. pauly383

I agree with what Rob said on the 1/2 ton stuff . Whatever you run though carry some spare shafts with you . Most of the time you won't use them , but its a good idea to . I have in the last 6 moths stockpiled some , and other parts too . We all share though if you break something you don't have , usually its something you don't have that breaks , or that part you forgot to pack . There is a good article on here I can dig up for you , and a great post about this in another forum /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif Good Post

11. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Just and FYI you might want to pony up the $25 for the membership here as normally blue members are not allowed to post in most areas. You kinda came in in the middle of a software change and got into a crack in the system. The $25 is well worth it. You won't be sorry. The info and areas you have access to will pay for the $25 in short order. You don't have to pay if you don't want though.

Most forums will be read only once the software catches up and you won't be able to post here or most other places in not to long.

Harley

12. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

He's a Member, long story short, an older version sofware is not auto changing the title and username color is all. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

13. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Welcome.

[nothing personal read most] why does most everybody willing to wheel live in the east valley [nothing personal read most]

Always glad to see another member in AZ. Wheeling will be packed this year. We are very family friendly too, so don't be afraid to bring the Mrs. The most important part in wheeling AZ is getting out there and having fun (sounds like that is your plan). The above posts have said it on the T. Harley kinda stopped any more ideas by getting them all in one response.

Welcome again.

PS I am a very sarcastic person, let me put that out front first (you'll understand more when you meet me). I take what I give though and it is all in good fun, never an attack.

This is the best group to wheel with that I have ever seen.

14. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

Welcome Andrew....

Does your "parts" Bronco have a D44 front...?!?

Marv

15. FWP

FWP CRS

Welcome to CK5! Lots of good guys in AZ, and we wheel alot.

If you want to see alot of Blazers, come to Blazer Bash in Moab /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Good luck on the build-up. Do you know what you are shooting for? Just curious as to what kind of Blazer you're going to build.

16. teamhickman

Thanks to everyone for such a positive greeting. I’m really looking forward to getting out with you guy’s. As ColoradoK5 mentioned I did pay the 25 and we are members, the software version is causing the color to remain blue.

Marv,

The “Part”s bronco does have a 44 front. It’s all still stock (open/3.50’s) Not sure about the overall width (WMS to WMS), never bothered to swap one out so I never measured. It is missing the original drum brake parts as I had hoped to swap in disks so I would have a complete spare if I ever need it, but since we sold the other one I can get rid of it. I would like to avoid parting it out if possible and would make someone a great deal on the whole thing. If I can get it sold, the additional cash would go directly into a blazer. It’s a standard 302/C4, 44/9” and D20. the body is pretty much junk, the PO “Glassed” the front floor boards in and there’s some additional rust in the bed area. If you or anyone wants more information, just let me know. I hope to get it listed on the bronco boards sometime next week. Worse case, I’ll given Driven a call and ask Randy if he wants it.

As far as what we plan to build…….again, I have no problem with body damage and the sawzall, but I do want to keep it “full bodied” if possible. It’s not going to be a daily driver but we don’t have a trailer so I do need to keep it street legal (by AZ standards… /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif) so we can get it out to Florence and Table Mesa. I’ll put together a list of what I think so far and let you guys take a look and offer up some opinions and ideas.

Thanks,

Andrew

17. teamhickman

Matt,

It’s funny that you mentioned the eastside thing, I noticed it last week and was/am very happy to see it. I was amazed to see this big and active of a following for blazers here in AZ. I had rarely seen them out on the trail, jeeps (TJ’s) seemed to dominate so I was very happy to find this place and specifically this forum.

Andrew

18. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Welcome aboard. I'm in the N. Central (32nd St & Shea roughly) area. Good luck on the K5.

19. pauly383

[ QUOTE ]
    I was amazed to see this big and active of a following for blazers here in AZ. I had rarely seen them out on the trail

[/ QUOTE ]

For the most part we seem to wheel in the winter ( I go anytime ) or do night runs . When I went for the first time there was so many of us we split into two groups and had a mild and wild run both at the same time in florence , must of been over 16 trucks ! Its like buying a truck and a joining a brotherhood at the same time /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

20. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Welcome aboard!!
    Glad to see another crazy person willing to wheel a Blazer.
    It's been said but these guys really are the shiznit when it comes to wheelin and bein just plain stand up folks.
    Lookin forward to playin in the rocks with ya! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif
    Oh by the way, we aren't all balls to the wall modified rigs. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif