Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

introduction/newbie needs advice

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mertresvaag, Feb 28, 2007.

1. mertresvaag

mertresvaag Registered Member

Hello all,

I just wanted to introduce myself and say hello. I am very interested in a certian 91 K5 for sale in my area. The asking price is $2500. The truck seems to be in pretty decent shape from the small pics i have seen on the net. The owner also from his posting seems to have a reasonable amount of knowledge about this truck. When I go to see the truck what should I be looking for that is K5 specific. I am not talking about puddles and tick sounds. My Pop always drove burbans. 79 & 89 3/4 tons. So i am somewhat familuar with them. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

- Mike Ert (hopeful soon-to-be K5er)

Here is his post -

very nice clean blazer as you can see by the pic's. new jasper 350 engine 30,000 miles ago paperwork included for the proof. all receipts for this truck are included.over 8000.00 in work done to this truck in the last 5 yrs.
    suspension redone in the last 5 years... ball joints tie rods, shocks, brakes
    all professionally done by firestone. engine professionally installed and runs like new. top comes off in the summer.
    this is a k5 silverado meaning it has all the bells and whistles as far as power options. pw/ pl /pb /ps and air conditioning 4 wheel drive works great.
    the interior is almost as nice as the exterior. no tears or wear shown on the seats,buckets are covered to keep them that way, new.
    the only thing you will need is a tailgate,this does have rust inside from a bad seal. the window still goes up and down but it is rusty on the top lip.
    everything works and this is one of the cleanest around. miles on body 130,000.

2. boz42

boz42 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

pretty much, same as a burban minus 2 doors.

3. BulldogK5

BulldogK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Being a 91 and having all of that work done to it, you should be alright if the installs were correct. Give it a good check to see if he is trying to cover something up or just really wanted to have something to work on. Of course we don't have that salt problem you guys have so maybe that is just something that has to be done every decade or so.:D

Make sure it is still a TBI and not carb'd, check the frame around the steering box, the seals on the top and the top itself (sounds like he took it off) for any cracks or seperation of the joints. Find out what gears are in it and if it ever had larger tires. This will give an idea of the way the tranny was treated. If the top has bad seals, check around the front of the cab to top location and the sides of the rear floor board for rust. Also check the sides at that general area for it. I'm just guessing that you know the other things to find and probably these but the top stuff will obviously be different from the sub.

Oh, and welcome aboard.

4. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

5. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

I caught that too. Work done by Firestone is an automatic red flag!:doah:

I'm sure the truck is fine I just think Firestone is a joke.

6. BulldogK5

BulldogK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Odd that nobody from up North will tell him what to look for. Who knows, maybe they have a much better Firestone chain.:haha: