Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Introduction

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by azblazor, May 5, 2001.

1. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I am here at work and I thought I would take the time to post an intro. This is one interesting forum. I have been poking around and there is a lot to see.

Anyway I'm looking for information about cracking on my K5 front fenders. They are both cracked near the attachment point of the hood hinge. It is a 1979. I have not seen this on any other GM truck I've owned.

Current trucks:
    1979 K5 454FI,4L80E,1ton axles-dana60 LS / 14ff gov-lok 4:10s, 4"lift bushmaster cutout flares, 33-12.5x16.5 BFGATs, Warn 9000 w/bmpr, Planned: steering box brace, cross over steering, change rear blocks to the Off road shackle flip, etc,etc. This is my baby

1993 3/4t Sub 454FI, 4L80E, bells&whistles, tow pkg. This is my wife's baby, and our take the family skiing truck.

1977 1/2 ton Sub, 400/350 w/full time 203 (I'm in the middle of deciding to rebuild the 203 myself or buy one rebuilt) This is my older son's (son#1) truck (he's away finishing up ARMY boot camp and AIT).

1974 Chevy 3/4ton 2wd (yougnest son's project- son# 4) restoring.

1987 Toyota 2WD (son #2)
    1991 Nissan 2WD (son #3)
    1980 Toyota 2WD (work truck - 100 mile daily commute)
    2000 Nissan Sentra (wife's work commuter)
    2000 Chev Cavalier (daughter #1)
    ???? ( 16 year old daughter #2)

Previous GM 4x4s
    1980 1ton Crew cab 350/4spd/205 (loved this truck)
    1984 3/4T Sub 350/400/208 ordered and bought new (Bad-Bad quality control)
    1968 Van 12"lift with Jeep running gear (what a ride)

Previous Jeep products
    1977 3/4t J20 360/4spd/part time
    1977 Cherokee 258/3spd/Part time
    1978 Grand Wagoneer 360/400/Quadratrack

Hope I haven't put too much BS here.
    Mark W - Azblazor KC7YKP

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Welcome aboard! Man what a collection of GM Iron!
    I have not seen the fender issue your asking about. That's a strange one.
    Couple ideas is that the truck was wrecked and front fenders were replaced with a cheap knock off that was thinner gage and didn't quite fit right.
    Bad Day at GM when yours came off the line. Something could have been out of wack on the line and maybe used a thinner gage of metal when the body parts were stamped.
    I too have a 79 K5 as well as a 75. Now cracks at various other places are common I have noticed with my trucks. Worst of them being the tail gate at the opening for the window. Doors have a tendancy to crack around the hinges and where the vent wing frame meets the main window I have seen cracks. This is all due to the amount of body and frame flex these trucks have. when you really twist them up the body binds the doors and gate and eventualy a stress fracture appears.
    Has the truck seen hard trail duty? It may be that you have some cab or core suport bushings blown out putting an uneven stress on the body at the attachement point. Does this truck have a body lift? See lots of weird stuff with those because the body can move around much more than it sitting stock. Might also get under the truck and start looking for busted rivits on the frame. Both my trucks have had several fail causing the frame to loosen up. Was noticeable while driving. Even had a couple let loose on the motor mount alowing the motor to drop a good 1/2 inch and the frame to rotate a couple degrees on one side. Had to lift the motor to get stuff lined back up to get some bolts in it. The front crossmember and foward spring mounts are pretty prone to this issue we are finding. Any of these changing a mounting point hight could cause issues. On my 75 that see's hard trail duty I would say I have about 8 rivits that failed and had to be replaced with bolts.
    How are the cab supports doing? rust is common in them and maybe they have started to crush.
    Here is a wild off the rack thought. Does it have the right crossmember under it. Rails are pretty easy to rotate and it is possible to get a crossmember (the frame tapers in that area so there are different crossmember widths out there) that is spaced for a different tranny configuration to bolt up. On the early trucks 73- about 77 they ran 2 crossmebers on the 203 trucks verses the single your 79 has. The rear (actully was behind the case and the skid plate bridged it to the front) would look just like the 79 crossmember but it is wider by about 3/4 of an inch. This could rotate the foward cab mounts changing their overall hight again putting stress on the body.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/>http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/</A>

3. azblazor

Re: Introduction and fender cracks

grim,
    Wow, some good ideas - that should keep me busy for awhile. A lot I had not even considered. The rust issue is not a factor as this truck has always been in Arizona. Thanks.

4. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Welcome to being "formally recognized" Mark.................

Want your opinion on the Bushwacker Cut-Outs............any pics? Any negatives to them?

<font color=orange>'79 - 406 TPI -<font color=orange> K5#5 - <font color=blue>See it at---&gt;<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com>http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com</A>

5. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Mark, check with FastEddy, seems he just copped a tach gauge cluster................[​IMG]

<font color=orange>'79 - 406 TPI -<font color=orange> K5#5 - <font color=blue>See it at---&gt;<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com>http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com</A>

6. JoeAngelicchio

JoeAngelicchio 1/2 ton status

I've got Cutouts that I haven't installed yet.Debating whether or not. If not I'd like to find the rubber flares they use on the big trucks (cement trucks, transport, etc). for the opening after I enlarge them. J.C Whitney have rubber ones that are 4" wide but they are not going to be long enough. Anyone know where I can find these truck flares. If the Bushwackers were tougher then it wouldn't be an issue.
    Oh, welcome to the board Mark...

<font color=green>Joe Angelicchio
    86 Jimmy 4+3, 35-&gt;39.5 tires,4spd
    </font color=green>
    [​IMG][​IMG]

7. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

Welcome aboard mate...lol. Seems we share something in common...i too own a 79 K5...i drive pretty close to a Litchfield Park everday on the way into work...and our screen names are one letter off...however the state gave me Veteran plates to almost match and i think i might have seen here on the new loop. Mine is not Fi'd yet....but wait...as of tonight she's half done...tomorrow i will put up the tank...and finish up what i can before the work week...we'll get her done though...so i guess since the 79 is on the injured reserve list i'll half to pull up the chalet and drive her for awhile. Nice to have ya aboard....and since you actually live on the west side we'll have to get together and check each others K5's out! i live in Glendale.

Azblazer

1979 K5
    1976 K5 Chalet
    1972 K10 Suburban

8. azblazor

Regarding the Bushwacker cutout flares. I have a major break on the right rear, actual section of flare missing. The left front has a small piece missing from interior lip. The flares have a "lifetime warranty"? I have sent pictures and a letter to bushmaster requesting replacement - I do not have a receipt though- which their literature says is needed. I will let the list know when/if I get a response. It is going on 2 weeks.

9. azblazor

AZBLAZER,
    I have seen your web page on your blazer and chalet. Very nice. My wife and I would really like to see your chalet.
    How do they handle? Anyway - good luck on the FI. Mine was done when I bought the truck. It runs pretty well, I have a low rpm surge sometimes though. There are some K5's out here at the nuc plant, probable half a dozen. One guy has really done some neat mods, rear disc brakes, cage, rock sliders, etc.

10. azblazor

Oh, one more thing, what's up with the title thing in parethesis i.e.(stranger) or (journeyman)? Is this a "get some time on the boat" sorta thing?

11. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

Well....Chalets don't handle that bad as long as you keep it under 60 mph...let her decide where she wants to go...and corrections are kept to a gentle caress. Thats what we learned drivibg to Co. for the Why To K5 Run...lol. Since then we added a 84 K5 master and booster...and now she stops ona dime...installed rear airbage kept at around 15psi...rear sway bar was allready there...i can do 75 to 80 smoothly on the highway now....and steering wheel can be used as in a normal truck....lol. But at that speed...and when a semi passes you..or you trying to pass it...the knuckles get a lil white...so we stay under 75 and enjoy the ride...lol.

What type of FI are you running...and if modeled after GM...what year..i have a scanner from MPSI that i use to check things out?!

I work at Freightliner Az LTD....I-10 and 99th ave...can't miss us...lol. Maybe somenight after the brass leaves you can stop by and see the chalet this week...don't think the 79 will be running...missing a metri pack connector to the 91 K5 tps i'm using...and a few other minor details...so the Chalet is driver of the week.....lol. I work noon till some time after 8pm...in service...just ask for Doug at the service window if you get the time.

Azblazer

1979 K5
    1976 K5 Chalet
    1972 K10 Suburban

12. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

Got an early version of Toybox Offroads rock sliders on the 79....rear disc is on the want list but the wedding this month will make the want wait....lol....feelin special to get the FI done....lol. The deal on the post thing is ya...time on the block....actually it is a count on your total posts...somethin neat steve through in a long time back! Welp....gotta get some shut eye so i can resume forward motion in the am....talk at ya later!

Azblazer

1979 K5
    1976 K5 Chalet
    1972 K10 Suburban

13. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

Assuming you have a GM TBI system on your rig...remove the IAC motor...r/s of tbi...big 4 pin square weatherpack connector...use carb cleaner and clean out the bore and the pintle of the IAC...carbon deposits will keep the pintle from seating properly and show up as a erratic idle...and if you have the required egr valve....lift up on the diaghram with a finger at idle...the motor should die ....if not you have an egr problem...and also double check it for holding vacum with a mity vac!!!! BTW...being a fellow zonie...what happens when they open the hood to do an emissions equiptment check? Was kinda worried about that in the future.

Azblazer

1979 K5
    1976 K5 Chalet
    1972 K10 Suburban

14. azblazor

Doug,
    Thanks for the tips on the surging. It is a factory TBI setup (1994). Is freightliner that place just south of the stack? My 79 is starting to wander - I'm afraid I have those cracks around the steering box - need to pull it and check for sure. I'm going to order a brace soon either way.

15. azblazor

Doug,
    About the Emissions inspection, the last guy just kind of smiled and commented now clean the emissions were. We chated about what year it was and about it being a 454. Absolutely No hassle! I don't know the official rules for Arizona engine swaps, I think I'll try to find out.

16. Haulgas

Haulgas 1/2 ton status

AZBLAZOR,
    My name is Brian (Haulgas) and i live next to Doug(Azblazer)
    I see by the bottom of your post your ham.Any suggestion on the best way to get my license?

87 blazer :)

17. azblazor

Brian,
    Yes I'm a tech (no-code). My wife and three of my 6 kids are also. We use them to comm when we are outdoors doing scouting, skiing, 4wheeling,etc. Best way is to go to Ham Radio Outlet and get a book. Read it (they have all the test questions they can ask you) - take the test on some webpages (practice tests) - or buy software practice test. After you are ready go down some Saturday and take the exam. Lots of resources on the Web. Also some good clubs that will help you. I'm not a member but know people if you are interested. It's not hard at all. Especially if you are a little technically inclined.
    Mark (azblazor)
    KC7YKP( Kilo Charlie Seven Yankee Kilo Papa), 73
    <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by azblazor on 05/06/01 01:07 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

18. Haulgas

Haulgas 1/2 ton status

Mark
    I'll get some books and do the I-net test
    If i need some help I'll get in touch with you and maybe you could hook me up with someone.
    Thanks

87 blazer :)

19. Confederate9

Confederate9 1/2 ton status

welcome mate!
    you will come to be addicted to this website.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://confederate9.coloradok5.com/>http://confederate9.coloradok5.com/</A>
    <font color=red>K5: Because size DOES matter</font color=red>
    [​IMG]