Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Inturnal modulator

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by Z3PR, Feb 10, 2003.

1. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Whats your opinion of inturnal modulation kits ??? [​IMG]

2. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

IMHO they suck. Cool for about 6-8 miles then they just fall off. Really kill the life of the radio. Why be cheap and kill a radio?

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Ran one in the 99 and never had a problem with it. I'm thinking of adding one to my base.

4. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

Ever crack one of those things open? The pic you posted looks like the ones with nothing more than a resistor and/or diode in them. Any good tech can accomplish the same thing without the "kit" for as much money as one of those kits or cheaper.

A really common mod that does what you're looking for is often referred to as an "NPC mod" or "Negative Peak Compression" mod. It normally only involves adding a couple of simple parts and retuning the radio. It allows the low deadkey with high swing so many folks are looking for. It also doesn't result in any noticable distortion, makes the radio run cooler, and makes for a cooler amp.

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Really ???? Can you get any more information for that ??? I want to put more swing in this thing. My radio is a Galaxy Saturn base. Not concerned about deadkey watts, I want it to swing up more as I modulate. I currently have a 17 watt deadkey on AM, but that is unimportent to me becouse I talk more sideband then anything else.

6. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

I lost most of my good links and haven't been able to find any specific info for ya but you might want to check out the forums at www.cbtricks.com or Radiotech.org and ask some questions about the NPC mod.

I also used to have a link for a really good speech processor but the site that used to have them doesn't seem to have them listed anymore. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif