Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

investing paycheck 101

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by R72K5, Jun 10, 2005.

1. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

Last edited: Jul 16, 2005
  2. google

google 1/2 ton status

Go to your bank. They have stuff set up for people like you. Mounds of info and they take care of the rest. They will set it up for you to make payments of 100 a month or 50 a month or whatever you want. They list the risk of each one and the average gain.

Good luck

3. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

Gold? Silver? How many centuries have these been used as currency, across the world? I think that's what I would get into.

4. google

google 1/2 ton status

From what I understand, the price of gold just skyrocketed. I would stay away from that until it settles down again.

5. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

Hmm... What about other raw materials that will be in short supply after we mine the planet into oblivion?

Aluminum?
    Iron/steel?
    Titanium? (I don't like that idea for some reason)

6. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Nevermind, I thought I knew something, but after careful consideration, I think I may not think I know what I thought

7. google

google 1/2 ton status

How about Gasoline? Just buy a giant container and fillerup. It's dropped in the last few weeks and bound to double in the next year. I say that's a pritty solid investment.

8. gambit420s

gambit420s 1/2 ton status

dont buy gold or any foreign currency, the us dollar is in the toilet right now(thanks pres...)
    gold usually doesnt go up or down thats why its called the gold standard only currency fluctuates, it just looks that way because you buy gold in dollars not dollars in gold, just compare gold vs silver or platinum they are usually about the same ratio if you break it down

the gas idea sounds good though

look at cds, you put in cash and cant touch it for a set period no matter what sob story your broke a$$ friend and/or salesman gives you
    they have ok interest rates w/ low risk

9. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

The price of gas is driven by what it's made from, oil. In about the past year the price of oil has gone from about $35/barrel and today closed at about $56/barrel. It's what's driving the stock market these days. If you do invest in it then wait until the next time it dips to the high 40's or low 50's, like after summer sometime.

10. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

And could you possibly go into in depth detail, providing facts to support that statement???????????????

I've got kind of the same program through work. I think it's neat. Pay some old boys who know that stuff to do the work. :D

11. gambit420s

well about a year ago gold was 260/oz and now it's 325ish i cant seem to find euro prices right now but last time i saw them it wasnt that bad I stand corrected, and IICR the dollar is down against most other currency
    maybe i'm wrong but a highly leveraged economy like ours isnt going to help raise the dollar in the world market when a good portion of our debt is carried by other foreign interests

unless the whole country goes down then gold might be a good investment if you take phisical possession, but i think we'd have bigger probs at that point

im not a financial adviser but thats just my $0.02

Last edited: Jun 10, 2005
  12. gambit420s

oh wait i see now you dont care about what i said you just dislike where i put the blame. well sorry i dont believe this forum has enough space to list all of my feelings about the us government; so therefore ill just leave it alone

13. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

Gold is at $423/oz today, 4 yrs ago it was at $250/oz. Gold chart

14. gambit420s

see i knew somebody knew more than me. sorry i'm a little slow. :blush: i just looked for some numbers they were prob real old. you just cant trust those unsavory characters you meet on the internet...

15. BrianDamage

BrianDamage 1/2 ton status

they are horrible long -term investments, barely staying above inflation

The first question is are you debt free ? (except for your house). If not, you need to be before you really think about investing too much. You will do better to get out of debt quickly, then invest.

try this website, and listen to his show

www.daveramsey.com

Last edited: Jun 10, 2005
  16. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Roth IRA my friend... best long term investment you can ever make. The money is taxed as income when you earn it... but when you put it in a Roth and make $985904573498734075 between now and retirement its ALL tax free. You can take it all out in one big chunk and use it as you see fit, unlike 401ks, stocks and pretty much everything else that is taxed on the back end via capital gains and/or income tax. My 401k is going to provide enough $ for living expenses when I retire... but my roth is going to give me enough $ to buy a retirement house (mansion?), boat (yacht?) etc etc etc.

j

17. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

the president has what to do with this exactly? Additionally, for anyone selling products overseas from the US, the dollar being "in the toilet" is the best news they could ever have.

j

18. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Nonono, you see, the whitehouse just has Bush in it, he runs everything you see, he is to blame for everything, because he runs the entire government

19. BrianDamage

BrianDamage 1/2 ton status

yep

Ramsey recommends 15% of your income should be going to retirement.

Roth IRA's invested in good mutual funds are the way to go, even better than 401K's... BUT he does recommend using a 401K IF your employer matches it. If they only match 6%, then do 6% in the 401k, then the other 9% do the ROth IRA

20. mxfireman

mxfireman 1/2 ton status

Real estate is long term and IRA's. You can choose your portfolio on an IRA which means you can invest from mild to aggressive. You can always buy land and sit on it for a while too!