Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

invisible dog fence?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by jekbrown, Jan 20, 2005.

1. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

one of my dogs has wonder-lust and he always has. We build fences and they keep him contained for a while, but he always finds a way out. I was pondering getting one of those invisible fence gizmos... where you have a collar on the dog that shocks them if they run outside the area you designate. Anyone use one of these? Walmart has em for $99 a kit... includes 500' of underground wire. Petsmart has a similar system for $149. Just wondering if anyone has used these with good success. I want my dog to be able to run around our big yard, but I dont want him to run to the fast-moving street and get crushed by a BMW suv. :(

j

2. mr_beer

mr_beer 1/2 ton status

I have one. I have 2 dogs, a rat terrier and a cur, I have a collar on the small dog. The big cur I just let him go where he wants, he's a damn good gaurd dog and If he doesn't know you, you ain't getting out of the vehicle. Anyway the fence works great on the dog I have it on, I haven't had any problems at all with it. Just make sure you change the collar battery often, you don't want to come home and the dog be out partying in the neighborhood.:D

Any more questions just pm me and I'll be happy to help you

3. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I use an electric fence. Low amperage. Works like a charm with my Labs.

4. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Jason this has been covered before and the only thing, I think that was the problem was the type of dog..If it's a big spastic dog it may just run over the fence get shocked and then not want to come back across it and getted shocked again...I know thats exactly what would happen to my Dobey...If you can go with a low voltage electric(non invisible)fence charger and some wire, probably get all the stuff for under a 100 at Wilco...With my dog when he sees the wire he stays the hell away from it and it only took 3 times for him to learn and thats because the first two times he got bit by it he didn't know what did it...:D

5. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

There are some good brands out there and some cheapies. From what I have read....the key is for the dog not to 'test' the fence. You want to train him so that he doesnt go near the fence because he is not supposed to, not just because he gets shocked. Alot of them say to put of flags a few feet before the fence line. And at certain intervals, you take down a few flags...then a few more flags etc...then the dog gets it in his head that he is not supposed to pass this line or he gets a correction. The correction is the 'shock'.
    I guess it all depends on how much time you want to put into 'training' the dog.
    Like was mentioned...you get some dogs that just say f' it, if they want out, they are gonna take the shock and not care... I think if they are trained properly...they wont go there.
    Quite a bit of info on the web about this stuff. Very intersting!
    I think its like anything else....sometimes it works...sometimes it doesnt.

6. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

The underground works around here.

7. RingMaster4x4

RingMaster4x4 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I had the same problem from two of the 3 dogs in my backyard I put up a nice new fence (4" cattle panels) when I moved in. About 4 days later 2 where out both young labs. so I when home got a cattle fence charger :p: that my dad was not using put the wire about 2" off the ground all the way around. That night I heard them hit is about 2 times each. Now I don't even keep it on, and they have not been out since.

8. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I haven't had mine on for about a year now and the dog will rest his head on it but won't try to go through it...

9. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

you guys are right about some dogs not careing. my neighbor has the shock collar for training on his lab and it works. but my dog doesn't seem to be fazed by it at all:confused: . darren has it at half power on his dog so we even turned it all the way up and it still didn't bother GOTTIE THE DESTROYER. we tried it on each other just see if there was a poke and yes there was OUCH!! i guess gottie running as fast as he can and smashing his head on the frames of both my trucks daily has had an affect on him??? hes an american bulldog, and weigh's about 140lbs. big dummy:laugh:

10. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yeah, my dog is a miniture weiner dog... hes kinda dumb, but hes also a wussy. I think a decent shock would deter him. Might have to try this out. The systems are cheaper than a real fence, especially considering you get 500' of "fence" with the invisible fence gizmo that I saw at the store. I have 2 dogs, so I guess I'd have to get two of em... but 1000' would be a lot of room to run around. I want them to be able to run around, i have 2 acres... I just dont want em to run to far away. anyway, I'll do some www searches. thanks for the input guys,

j