Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Iowa

Discussion in 'Midwest Region' started by Charger1973, Jan 21, 2007.

1. Charger1973

Charger1973 Registered Member

Who here is from Iowa? I am in Bouton (about 35 miles NW of Des Moines). Is there any type of meets or get togethers that go on in the state? I have a 1979 K5 350 4 speed 4x4.

fsarew.JPG

2. Xtremjeepn

Xtremjeepn 1/2 ton status

Doesn't everyone in Iowa have a 73-87 Chevy truck or K5?

3. Stomper

Stomper ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ GMOTM Winner

Truck, yes......k5 not so much:haha::haha:

4. Charger1973

Yep, what he said! :wink1:

5. Stomper

There are a few of us here. And there is one Minisotan that wishes he was from here, but thankfully his citizenship has been denied[​IMG]

Any plans for your K5?

6. Charger1973

Well this Blazer was actually my dads so I take care of it, I wont ever sell it either. It doesnt get driven all that much right now, just when I go camping or when I need a vehicle to do something any of the others arent capable of. :wink1: In fact I had to pull my girlfriends car out of the ditch this morning with it... I told her not to try and drive her Cavalier through the driveway until it had been plowed but she did it anyway... and ended up sliding off into the ditch

It has a decent body on it really and it runs good, but the floors need a bunch of patch work and the interior was pretty tore up. Im slowly working on it. My main project is a 1973 Dodge Charger that I am restoring, and it takes up most of my time and money... Mopars are through the roof anymore. :doah:

The K5 is more of a long term thing. I need to learn to weld this summer and get the floors done, also need to patch the rust starting on the body before its out of control. I really like it this desert tan color, even though its just spray painted, so I will be sticking with that when I do get it painted. Id like to add a lift kit and bigger wheels/tires but nothing too wild. I want to keep it practical. This truck is great in emergency situations, it can do just about anything. :bow:

7. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

Im an Iowawegian too. From what I gather though, there are few guys in Iowa that have running trucks:doah: most of us are in various stages of build. But they are all gonna be awesome when they are done....even that one kid with the Mall Crawler...Right Brett

8. Xtremjeepn

Xtremjeepn 1/2 ton status

:wink1: I was born there, but quickly came to my senses at only a few months old and moved to Colorado.:wink1:

9. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I'm from southern MN and go to school in SD so I'm at the DIY4X shop pretty frequently in Iowa. I'm the Minnesotan that Stomper is so kindly referring to. :rolleyes::D

10. Stomper

Well, if you want to keep it practical, then you might want to steer clear of most of us:haha::haha: Just ask Drey:wink1:

11. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

Are you looking at joining a club at all? Check out

www.ia4wdc.org

for information on the Iowa Association of 4 Wheel Drive Clubs. You can find links to many clubs whose members have the same interest as you.

As you may or may not know we have no public wheeling land in Iowa which sucks, but we are hoping to get something soon and have a plan in the works right now. If we can make it work once then we will be able to look at new places to pursue all over the state. You can check out the message forum for info but they just revamped it and it is a bit anemic right now.

In the summer a lot of us get together at Porky's on Douglas in Des Moines the first Friday of each month once it starts getting nice. We have had 20+ rigs show up and it is not brand specific so you get a nice diverse group of rigs. Again, I will post up details on the association forum when the weather gets nicer. 2 weekends ago we had a few booths at the Wild Wades swap meet to promote what we do which was fun and we met a lot of enthusiasts interested in what we do.

12. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

If you want a Killer rig that will be capable as hell talk to Kert(CyberFire), Brett(Stomper)or Mikey(Mikey_d05). If you want a shiny nice looking truck with all the sheetmetal where its supposed to be...talk to me, lol

HIJACK:
    Brett
    I still think my truck is gonna hold its own. Alot of good mods going into it. That being said its no Truggy on 40s - 44s

13. mikey_d05

My sheetmetal is right where it's supposed to be...in the scrap heap. :D

14. Charger1973

All my sheet metal is where it is supposed to be... except the floor pans. They fall out in chunks every time I hit a bump. :doah:

I have been to Porkys a couple times in the last year or so but it was the night they have the muscle cars out. I knew that had a bike night too but never knew about the trucks.

15. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

Clintonian here!! w00t:haha:

Yea, we need some wheelin' spots in IA!!:doah:

16. smalltruckbigcid

smalltruckbigcid 1/2 ton status

I'll wave as I pass through Iowa again tomorrow. If its early enough I might get to swing past DIY's....
    George
    Minnesota is still nicer than the cornpatch:haha:

17. Charger1973

How do you join? I went to the site but it said I had to ask someone to join? What is this some kind of secret society?? :wink1:

18. mikey_d05

Met Kert before?

I've gotta stop down sometime soon and pick up some tube and a few brackets.

Charger, the DIY4X shop is a worthwhile trip. If ya need anything made, Kert's your guy.

19. smalltruckbigcid

smalltruckbigcid 1/2 ton status

Drove by the shop a few months ago during business hours but no time to stop.....
    George

20. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

That site is for the association of Iowa clubs. It is not a club in its self but it has links to all of the member clubs. The next sentence in my posting said this, incase you missed it.

Go to the membership link and see if any clubs are close to you. If you want to get out and wheel your rig I would check out a club called Make It or Break It. www.miobi.org. They have 300 acres of wheeling land near Knoxville IA that has mild to wild trails. There is also Central Iowa 4 Wheelers www.ci4wi.org they do out of state trips and have some wheeling land near Osceola. I don't know a lot about the Mudslingers or Extreme Creations but one of them is in Fort Dodge which may be closer to you? I think they wheel near the old quarry there. There is also the Tri State Stump Jumpers in NW IA but I don't know a lot about them.

Porky's didn't really advertise the 4x4 night. We called them and asked if we could come and they opened the rear patio for us the 1st friday of the month. Some nights we only had 5-10 rigs but other times we had 30+ I always went regardless and shut the place down.

Sorry...everyone can go back to bragging about DIY now.