Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

IP Address

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Z3PR, Sep 28, 2002.

1. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

What is a IP Address for, and what should someone worrie about ???

2. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

No, its just apart of networking and the internet.

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

So what's all the hype about hackers getting your IP address ???

4. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

if they have your ip they could hack in /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

5. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

They can if you dont have a firewall like Zonealarm, but then again the best hackers can get past anything.

6. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

i have zone alarm pro /forums/images/icons/smile.gif for free /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

7. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

correct me if im wrong but if they have your IP they can do a number of things... 1 is send you a trojan virus and they can bassicaly see everything you do , they can get PW etc etc... mess around with your screen, icons, cursors, you name it. I had it happen to me last year. It was BS... stupid hackers =P

8. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Yes they can do all of the above, but if you have a program like Zone Alarm you can basically track all of the programs using the internet and block the ones that you dont know. It sounds like you got Sub-Sevened. I have a freind that messes around with that program, i used to but i wisened up and realised its stupid to mess up peoples computer. A good Anti-Virus program like Norton can usually detect a trojan before it messes up your computer.

9. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    What is a IP Address for, and what should someone worrie about ???

[/ QUOTE ]

Short answer:

An IP address is just a number that identifies a unique point on a computer network. A simple analogy would be to compare an IP address to your house address. They both identify a unique place. If a burglar knows your house address, he only knows where you live but has no idea if there is anything valuable inside. A smart (I use that term loosley) burglar would try to rob a house where he KNOWS there are valuables inside.

For example: If a burglar knows that you have $1000 stashed under your pillow he will try all sorts of ways to break into your house. A good way to protect your cash would be to lock all the doors and windows and install a burglar alarm.

If a thief knows that you have all of your credit card and banking information stored on your computer in a folder called C:\BANK then he may try to break into your computer to try and steal that information. A good way to protect your information would be to lock your computer down (disable anything that accesses the Internet or shares information on the Internet when you aren't using it) and installing a firewall (burglar alarm) of some kind.

So, just because a thief knows your IP address, doesn't mean he will try to hack into your machine unless there is some reason for him to think that hew will find something valuable.

Long, boring, detailed explanation

The Internet, as we know it today, began as a U.S. Department of Defense (DoD) funded experiment to connect research sites in the US. This experimental network was called the Advanced Research Projects Agency (ARPA) and it's design was published in a paper called "Multiple Computer Networks and Intercomputer Communication" by a guy named Lawrence G. Roberts in 1967. The method of communication between the different sites was based on a new idea called "Packet Switching", an idea introduced by a student at MIT in 1961 named Leonard Kleinrock in a research paper called "Information Flow in Large Communication Nets". In December 1968, ARPA awarded a contract to Bolt Beranek and Newman to design and deploy a packet switching network with a proposed line speed of 50 kbps. In September 1969, the first node of the ARPANET was setup at the University of California at Los Angeles (UCLA), followed monthly with nodes at Stanford Research Institute (SRI), the University of California at Santa Barbara (UCSB), and the University of Utah. With four nodes by the end of 1969, the ARPANET spanned the entire continental United States by 1971 and had connections to Europe by 1973.

The initial computer-to-computer communications protocol used in the ARPANET was called the Network Control Protocol (NCP). It didn't take long before NCP proved to be incapable of keeping up with the rapidly growing network traffic load. In 1974, a new suite of communications protocols was proposed and then implemented throughout the ARPANET. This new suite of communications protocols was based on the Transmission Control Protocol (TCP) for end-to-end network communication. At first it seemed like overkill for the intermediate gateways (today we call them routers) to constantly have to deal with an end-to-end protocol so in 1978 a new design split responsibilities between two, separate protocols; the new Internet Protocol (IP) for routing packets and device-to-device communication (for example; host-to-gateway or gateway-to-gateway) and TCP for reliable, end-to-end host communication. Since TCP and IP were originally considered to act as a single protocol, this protocol suite, which actually refers to a large collection of protocols and applications, is usually referred to simply as TCP/IP.

This is where we discover what an IP address is.

The originally proposed structure of Internet Protocol was presented to DARPA by the Information Sciences Institute at the University of Southern California in 1981 in RFC (Request for Comment) 791. RFC791 has been updated many times to reflect the experiences we have had in using IP. The most recent update is RFC3260. Basically, these papers describe how communication takes place between two individual machines on the Internet. Additionally, proper communication only takes place if every node (or machine) that is connected to the Internet has a unique IP address.

IP addresses are typically written as a sequence of four numbers, representing the decimal value of each of the address bytes, are 32 bits in length and divided into four 8- bit octets. Each bit in an octet is assigned a value between 128 and 1, from left to right. To indicate whether a value is in use, the bit is set to 1. The sum of all bit values for each octet determines the octet's dotted decimal value. The dotted decimal number is what we are used to seeing as an IP address.

These values define each bit in an octet:

__________ bit1---bit2---bit3---bit4---bit5---bit6---bit7---bit8
    Bit Value___128----64-----32-----16-----8-------4-------2-----1

Using 8 bits, it is possible to make any number between 0 and 255 by indicating whether each bit in an octet is set to 1 or 0. Here is an example of a dotted decimal number :

Dotted Decimal number (IP Address): 192 . 0 . 1 . 2
    32-bit binary equivalent : 11000000 00000000 00000001 00000010

That is a fairly simple explanation of IP addresses. There are many additional subjects that should be understood in order to have a better idea of how it all works. If you want to see THE authority on IP addressing on the internet, read RFC2901. If you can understand everything in RFC2901, you can call yourself an Internet Guru! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

The best source of historical information regarding the Internet can be found at The Internet Historical Society web page.

OK ....... break is over ........Get back to work!! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

10. k5ntexas

k5ntexas 1/2 ton status

geez. reminds me of cisco class. i have a headache now. lol. good information tho. i'd say yer an internet guru. i hope u didn't type all that. would take a lifetime and then some for that. lol. well later.

jacob

11. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

i'd say yer an internet guru.

[/ QUOTE ]

GURU?!? ...*cough* *cough* *snicker* *snicker* Naw, I've just been messing around with this stuff for awhile.

i hope u didn't type all that

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I did.

It's funny that I can't remember where my truck keys are but I remember this stuff just fine.... go figure.

12. k5ntexas

k5ntexas 1/2 ton status

lol. you my friend are a goober. lol. j/k. wish i knew stuff bout computers.

13. gotmud?

gotmud? 1/2 ton status

me too /forums/images/icons/wink.gif kinda cool to see where these people are and who they are that are trying to get in, I've been getting alot of attempt's from eastern europe and Korea lately /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif you guy's without one realy should think about installing one.

14. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Just think of an IP address as your street address. They are all unique and if a burgler/hacker knows where you live it is that much easier to get robbed /forums/images/icons/wink.gif.