Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

IP gasket help / info

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by K10ANDYKHAMNIC, Apr 15, 2006.

1. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

Why is it so important to replace the IP mounting gasket ? Is it a special material ? None of the parts stores here have them :mad: .I am in mid process here and I want this DONE . I work in a machine shop and we have some gasket material here we use it for everything . It is called klingerseal and comes in different thicknesses , can i use this ? Any help is appreciated. -A:bow:

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

It was just a regular gasket from what i remember...I do recall not being able to get it separately though. I was getting pretty steamed, until i opened up the intake set I bought and there it was. For whatever reason they throw the IP gasket in with the rest of the intake set (FelPro)

I don't see a problem using regular gasket paper and making one though. In general the intake has to be off to do the IP re&re so it sorta makes sense to have it in with the intake set.

Rene

3. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

Thanks Rene . I just made one out of this green gasket stuff I had at work that we use for everything . All that is left is the intake that I am pondering if I should port it like you did or not and then bleed it and hopefully itll run .
    How would you compare the 6.2s power to a fresh crate 305 with an edelbrock performer intake and 4bbl quadrajet ? I hope that I wont be disappointed with it when I swap a 6.2 into the wheeler ......:o

4. tRustyK5

I feel my 6.2 compares pretty well to my old 350. The power comes in way different with the 6.2 but the overall acceleration is about the same. As long as you have nice deep gears I think you'll be happy...

Port match the intake, you'd be surprised how bad the factory casting is on those things. I used the new gaskets as a guide. I also found that the intake ports in the heads were actually pretty good using the gaskets to guage them.

Rene

5. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

Will I be able to get any wheelspin and Rpms for flying up sand hills ?

6. tRustyK5

I have no trouble getting the 40's to spin in the mud, or even on wet pavement. As for sand it may not be ideal, but it'll lug a lot harder than a small block. As for rpm's, it'll top out at 3600 which isn't that much lower than a stockish sbc...

Auto? gears? tire size?

Rene

7. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

I am not sure which trans i will run , probly my current th350 unless it is the source of my very scary drivetrain noise then I will probly run the th400 .
    I have 4.56 gears and 39" michelin military tires.

8. tRustyK5

TH400 would be easiest as they often came behind the 6.2's...where the TH350 never did. The TH400 uses an electric kickdown switch off the accelerator pedal...

The downside is the TH400 is pretty power hungry...

Rene

9. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

Yeah we shall see , I will have to buy a new TC to use the th350 . OR I could plop in the 465 ....But I think that would be too much work ...

10. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

If you want to run dunes, stick with th400.
    You don't want a manual in the sand.
    It will be easier and cheaper for you to run the th400 than the th350 with the 6.2.