Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

iPod or something else

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by caleb22, Dec 21, 2005.

1. caleb22

caleb22 1/2 ton status

I want to get my wife a mp3 player for xmas. I like the iPod nano but it requires that you use iTunes. Maybe that's not bad I guess. But, it would be ideal to have a lightweight mp3 player that she can use earbuds with but that she could download music from anywhere, like Walmart.

Anyone know more about these things?

2. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

I was told (so don't quote me on this) that you can download music from any computer now using an Ipod, you just use a USB cable ???

3. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

I got a Nano last week, and iTunes isn't terrible. It's really simple and uploading songs to the iPod is click and drag. I'd recommend the Nano, but get the 4GB version. I got the 2GB cause Best Buy was out of 4GBs, and I'm already whining about it being too small.

4. grimjaw

grimjaw 1/2 ton status

5. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Being a classic "hater of all things Apple" it pains me to admit that iTunes (for Windows) is a pretty awesome application. I've ripped all my CDs into it and even bought a 60GB iPod to make my collection portable.

I still can't believe Steve Jobs got $400 from me..... :shrug:

6. badfish4tail

badfish4tail 1/2 ton status

I agree that i-tunes is a great program. I have the i-pod photo 60GB and love it. I listen to it at home , the office, outside, and in my K5.:D

7. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

My wife has a Creative and it is great. I have a Sony which sucks because of the 400 layers of copyright protection.

8. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

apple sucks and so does ipod. I ain't runnin any player that requires me to have songs in "insert proprietary format here". itunes or otherwise. Not sure why you guys need 60GB of music storage either... most of my MP3s are 5MB at most. 1 GB would be 200 songs... right? Im not sure there are 200 songs I actually really like... and if there are, I know for a fact that I don't have enough time in one day to listen to 200 songs. If a song is 4 mins long on average... thats 13+ hours of continous music. You guys really listen to that much? Or more importantly, do you really listen to 20/40/60 times that much? yikes. :shocked:

Me thinks iPod is like Starbucks coffee. Clearly great marketing... because otherwise people wouldn't be dumb enough to pay $4 for something that should cost a quarter.

If I was going to buy one right now, I'd consider something like this...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16855102197

it can do the "drag and drop" thing just fine... doesnt need no stinkin itunes... holds plenty of songs, it can tune in radio, record radio and store any other kinds of files you want too. More than enough capability, useability and its a few hundred bucks less.

j

9. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

That's another problem with the Sony stuff.

10. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I gave my bro's daughters MP3 players for Christmas. Not Ipod, but Buslink. Is name brand a big deal ?? Isn't a MP3 player a MP3 player ??? [​IMG]

11. Greg72

Jek,

All my iTunes music is ripped as "Apple Lossless".....basically an uncompressed .wav file.

The music you "buy" from iTunes is protected the way you describe, but finding the workarounds for that takes less time than it took to read this sentence.......

Believe me, I don't like sounding like some U2-Loving-iPod-Cupertino-Groupie.....but the fact is that iTunes is a great front end, even if you don't like the iPod.

BTW -> You don't get anywhere near 15,000 songs on a 60GB iPod when you rip your CDs lossless.....though there's still more than I can listen to in a less than a weeks time.

12. grimjaw

grimjaw 1/2 ton status

Before you buy an iPod check the life of the Battery and cost to replace.

13. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

Chances are, I'll have destroyed mine long before it needs a new battery. :doah:

14. TexasA&Mblazer

TexasA&Mblazer 1/2 ton status

15. jekbrown

to each their own I guess. I like listening to music, but honestly I have probably 2 hours a day at the very most that I'd like to listen to anything... at least 1 of those I am in front of my PC (good sound system) or in another room of my house (even better sound system). Having 10,000 songs stored in a glorified 21st century walkman doesn't really do anything for me. Especially when I consider how many cool 4x4 parts I can get for the same amount of $$...

j

16. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Yeah a digital 12 $ radio with the headphone thingys kinda works for me while I mow the lawn..;)

17. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

My iPod has 6+ GB of music on it at the moment, and it's all in mp3 format (mostly 320kbps). I don't (and probably won't) use Apple's AAC format, and iTunes works with it just fine.

There's other options out there now. Check out download.com and search "ipod" to see what's available. I just used "PodUtil" to d/l from my iPod to my computer, which iTunes doesn't allow you to do (probably some DRM/copyright BS).

18. jekbrown

ok fine, use nifty utils to run regular MP3s on your ipod... does that still make it worth 3x as much as another mp3 player?

j

19. Greg72

JarheadK5,

Remember who you're talking to: Jek is the self-proclaimed "hater of bling" :D

Things like an iPod don't make sense to a guy like that.

I'll bet I could predict Jek's reaction to the following subjects as well:
    • Snap-On vs. Craftsman
    • Ferrari F355 vs. Camaro SS
    • Starbucks vs. Folgers
    • Paper vs. Plastic
    Ok.....maybe not that last one. :rotfl:

20. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Remeber J's the guy who wont let his woman flush unless it's #2...And will spend an extra 8 hrs. on the bus home from work to save 3 dollars on gas...:haha: :doah: