Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

iPods

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by onlychevy6, Mar 20, 2006.

1. onlychevy6

onlychevy6 1/2 ton status

Are they really worth it? Bought one for my 11 year old and was loading songs for her. she has that 4gb nano deal. After loading her songs she wanted i was kinda like. I want one. But would want the 30 or 40gb model. Lets hear your stories.

Do you have one and if so which one?

2. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

I have a 2GB Nano and I don't know how I lived without it.

(They're fragile. I hope your daughter's easy on her toys :D )

3. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

My celly phone plays MP3's...

I've never really seen the point of expensive name brand MP3 players when I bought one for $50 that does the same thing... And now my phone... Who needs an iPod?

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

still really considering getting one myself. My buddy just got one and I loaded a lot of music on it for him, his is the 60GB that can play movies and show pictures. Its really cool. I want one but can't justify the cash right now. We were listening to it on his truck stereo on the ride home from the mountains this weekend and his is a cordless RF modulator so we were also listening to it on the stereo in the house.

5. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

I have the 40 gb. Love it. Also got the "ipod to go" (aftermarket charger / fm transmitter, no wires) so I listen to all my music when I'm on the road. I loaded all my music on it so now even at home I don't need to load CDs to listen to my stuff. I put all the CDs into album books and stored them away. It's a wonderful thing.

BTW, I have almost 4 days of music with no repeats, using 12 gigs. I download songs whenever from iTunes, so no more CD buying for me. It's important to back your stuff up.

A friend of mine got the 60 gig video Ipod and loves it, but battery time sucks during video (about 2.5 hrs so I hear).

6. TexasA&Mblazer

TexasA&Mblazer 1/2 ton status

I have a 30gb video. I love it. Skigirl is right battery time sucks while playing video. The video function was cool the first couple months I had it, now I mainly just listen to music on it. Worth every penny in my book. I also have an iTrip, which is a fm transmitter that works great. When buying a nano or new model iPod (with the clear thick layer over the color) make sure and get an InvisibleShield when you get your iPod, because they scratch really easily. I put my IS on as soon as I took my iPod out of the box, and still not a scratch on it, and you can't even tell there's anything on it! :D http://www.shieldzone.com/category/ipods/

7. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

if I had a job where I listened to music all day... I might invest in one of the $pendy ones. As it is, I'm gonna wait until the holidays and ask my parents for a simple/cheap 1GB player... prolly from Creative, since Apple is for koolaid-drinkin' hippies who don't know how to use 'puters. :grin:

At any rate, early adopters are always funny. In 2 years, their $400 ipod is going to be an out of date piece of crap, which will be bested by a $50 player... and impossible to sell since everyone will have moved on to the new tech. ;)

j

8. thezentree

I don't know how much y'all listen to music (some people in my classes hate music - incomprehensible! blasphemy!), but I do know that my 2GB Nano doesn't hold enough songs. Maybe that's cause my taste in music varies tremendously with the mood I'm in, but my iPod holds about 350 songs, which is about a quarter of what I'd like it to.

$0.0200000001

9. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

My mom's friend had one on our trip. She was listening to it all the time and seemed to like it. I was always re-charging it on my laptop and then it got to the point where it wouldn't charge fully anymore. Not sure if something went wrong with it or not.

10. GEORGIA GABE

GEORGIA GABE 1/2 ton status

Ive got the 60g video, It absofriginlutly rocks... I have video, datebook info, addresses and phone #s on it and it still has room for about 2 weeks worth of video. I have the hookup so that I can watch it on my tv, this is absolutly awesome. I downloaded the entire last season of lost, commercial free and watched it whenever I had time, or at home when nothing was on.

gabe

[​IMG][​IMG]

11. wasted wages

wasted wages 3/4 ton status

I have a 40 gig and about 2500 songs loaded into it,and still have about 30 gigs of space left.

I also have an Alpine head unit in my truck and the Ipod interface from Alpine. I stash the Ipod in the center console and all of the Ipod's features appear on the face of the head unit. I mostly use the random feature and never know what song's going to play next,,kinda like having your own radio station.

The only complaint I have is that if you want to seach by artist type,,it takes a long time to scroll thru from A-Z while connected to the interface. Other than that no complaints. BTW,,The interface keeps it charged.

12. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

My daughter is on her 8th ipod! The first few were firewire ones, they lasted between 3 days and 3 months. Gotta love a warranty.

13. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I've got a 20gb?? that I use at the gym (half hour CV is soooo boring!) and I use it in my DD. It's great. Over 3 days continual play and it's only about a third full! Best thing is that with the iTunes you can make up your own playlists, like making your own cd's full of your favourite tracks depending on your mood.

14. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yeah that's my only gripe with it too.

15. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

to each their own. If a song is 4 minutes long though, you have 23 hours and 20 minutes of continuous music... personally I have about 1 hour a day I want to listen to music "on the go". 23+ hours would be about a months worth of commutes to work, never once listening to the same song twice. lol.

j

16. thezentree

Haha, listening to 23 hours of music in a row would be a little extreme, but I have different kinds of music on there for different situations. What I'd listen to on the way to a party or when I feel like driving like an asshole is way different than what I'd listen to while driving home at 2:30am. It's nice to have a bunch of music genre's so I can pick some music to fit my mood without having to go back to the computer and spend 20 minutes choosing a few songs that I'll listen to that day. Right now I only change it up about once every week or so.

I've got an hour commute each way and a lot of spare time between classes, so my iPod gets used almost constantly.

17. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

I have an ipod shuffle and like it alot, It ONLY holds 175 or so songs, ONLY...... so i'm not carrying my whole collection but its great for small trips and being a student excellent for studying. AND it fits in the watch pocket of my jeans

18. dhcomp

dhcomp 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I had a 10 gb that got stolen, then now have a 40gb photo. I love it. I am a big fan of being able to carry my whole music collection (approaching 40gb now) instead of having to pick and choose. Then you have whatever, whenever you want it.

A friend dropped mine in a full cup of beer......and i was able to dry it out and ressurect it......so they can be tough!