Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

IR 2135TI owners check in...

Discussion in 'The Tool Shed' started by sled_dog, Dec 5, 2006.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

had to put a valve in yet? Noted today that my gun was making a slight air noise. Figured it was just the airline I was hooked to. So I swapped lines, sure enough it was coming from my gun. Within 10 minutes it was doing the "IR Creep", the socket was slowly creeping around on its own. So I pulled it apart to clean the valve a slight bit. Noticed it had a split in it, figured since this was the first one I had apart, that this was normal. So I tried reassembling it a few times and failed. When I finally looked in there and tried to figure out why the heck the little valve rod wouldn't stay straight, I realized the valve was split in half. Called the Matco guy up, hes dropping by with a new valve tomorrow, he knew exactly what the problem was when I said "I took apart my 2135 cause it was creeping". Oh well, still the best impact i've ever used.

What issues have you had? My buddy has gone through a set of vanes, but he works on big trucks and uses the hell out of his. My 3/8s gets way more use than my 1/2".

2. mosesburb

mosesburb For Rent Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Yeah, mine does the same thing. It hasn't started creeping yet, but it does leak. Still love that thing though: Great power, way light-weight and compact.

3. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Mine too....Exactly the same.

Wouldn't trade it though.

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I'm not trading it until something in the motor blows up. haha. Even then I will just buy the same gun. Matco version of my gun is almost 500 I believe. I paid just over 200 on ebay for mine brand new.

5. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

I've had mine since they came out and use it everyday in a semi shop.
    I have had no problems with it at all.
    I liked it so much I bought a 3/8 and 3/4" IR composit.
    The 3/4" I call gunzilla, I use it mainly to finish torquing headbolts.

36 head bolts that pop at 240 and need an additional 90* is no sweat for that sucker.

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

ha. I have an IR 3/8. Well it is a Mac, but its just an IR in red clothes. I LOVE my 3/8. I'll cry if it ever dies, haha.

7. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

My friends did the same thing, cracked that black plastic thing that holds the trigger rod straight in half. Mine's going on two years without a hiccup. The key is oiling it every day and greasing it once a week.

8. 89GMCSuburban

Cummins?

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

oil daily, but only grease once in a blue moon. In fact I think I have only greased it once. Everytime I try to grease it since then it just blows back out of the port like it is full. I do believe I will be oiling twice a day from now on.Especially with the increased use of unregulated air lines at work(both bays next to me have unregulated lines, mine is still regulated because I'm too lazy to bypass it).

10. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

Ding. N-14
    I had just done one so those specs were fresh LOL

11. 89GMCSuburban

Thought so...had to do the first two passes (including the high number) with my 1/2" torque wrench. I couldn't feel my arm anymore...lol!

12. NYDIESELDAVE

NYDIESELDAVE 1/2 ton status

I have the 1/2" 2135QTi version and to be very honest it's one of the worst guns I have ever owned. I'm not sure if maybe it's because it the "quiet version" of the regular 2135Ti or what. It's quiet for sure; but it has very little power compare to my old IR. I bought it new 4 months ago and rather wish i had stuck with one of the old reliable regular IR guns. I was actually thinking about putting it on ebay or something soon. Anyone else own a 2135Qti and have problems with it?

13. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

mine is the 2135QTi. I love it, except for this valve issue I had. More than a few guys in the shop have borrowed mine from time to time when their old IRs just wouldn't get the job done. Its as powerful as the regular 2135s other guys in our shop have, just quieter. Buy it used? Maybe you just got stuck with a dud.

The QTi is the exact same gun it just has a piece of foam in the handle to deaden the sound coming out of it.

14. 89GMCSuburban

A lot of it also depends on the compressor used and if you have a swivel on the line...the TI really does need a lot of air to run. I take semi-truck lug nuts off with mine all day....(350 to 450 lb.ft.)

15. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

2 yrs on mine and not a single problem