Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Iraq, the new Vietnam

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by tecton, Nov 24, 2003.

1. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

two soldiers sitting in the street get their throats cut...

Reminds me of vietnam
    Whats the difference between a north veitnamese and a south? Nothing.

How do you know?

Same thing in iraq, i dont think there is a sad army that wants us out, i think there are 23million angry people who want us out. No WMD, get out. Should have let inspectors find nothing...they werent having 20 of their kind killed a week for nothing. There is no reason to be there.

How many soldiers will die, one, two, 3 a day til there arent anymore left? Someone add it up. See how long we can last there.

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

iraq aint vietnam. We've lost what, 500 men fighting iraqis? when its 50,000, then there might be a comparison. There have probably been more people murdered in the state of california since Desert Storm 2 started than there have been american servicemen in iraq. Not saying it isnt dangerous, but lets not blow things out of proportion either.

j

3. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

its going in the same direction is what i mean

4. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    two soldiers sitting in the street get their throats cut...

Reminds me of vietnam
    Whats the difference between a north veitnamese and a south? Nothing.

How do you know?

Same thing in iraq, i dont think there is a sad army that wants us out, i think there are 23million angry people who want us out. No WMD, get out. Should have let inspectors find nothing...they werent having 20 of their kind killed a week for nothing. There is no reason to be there.

How many soldiers will die, one, two, 3 a day til there arent anymore left? Someone add it up. See how long we can last there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Another person who thinks by what is reported in the media is what is actually going on. Furthermore, your comparision is not only weak, it just plain sucks.

Do you even have a clue exactly what happened?

Do you actually talk to troops over there?

Do you even actually know anything about the Vietnam war?

If your initial post is all you have, you may want to show yourself to the door on this topic real fast. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

5. jekbrown

oh btw, we ALREADY have plenty of evidence that iraq had and was trying to aquire more missiles that were longer range than what the UN/US allowed in the post-Desert Storm I treaty... so forget all that BS the media spews about how we "didnt find anything". its a lie.

j

6. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

[ QUOTE ]
    oh btw, we ALREADY have plenty of evidence that iraq had and was trying to aquire more missiles that were longer range than what the UN/US allowed in the post-Desert Storm I treaty... so forget all that BS the media spews about how we "didnt find anything". its a lie.

j

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup.

God forbid if we go kick someone's ass in a foreign country before they get the chance to come over here and start bombing the US. Don't want to offend any touchy, feely liberals these days. Maybe we should have talked to them some more................. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I personally think our job is done there. We should get out, let them kill each other so there's less of them, and then finish our interests there.

I have to agree, it's getting a little out of hand and the President's approval is definitely going down as a result. (I don't think he'll get re-elected even though I'm going to vote for him) I think we were/are definitely justified in being there, but this post-war stuff is getting a little rough, and something really needs to be done to get the whole thing done with and have a happy ending (they setup their own government and we withdraw as planned)

I totally agree with what is going on, I just hope this process can be done quicker so our soldiers don't have to make back-to-back-to-back deployments to make this happen.

8. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

you know i try to stay away from post like this but i have to say....you dont know what your talking about! If youd been there during the war and after the war you would know what why we went, the problem here is that no matter how much detail i give you it wont make sense, kinda like trying to describe combat, you have to be in it to understand it, no amount of training or anything else would ever be close to the real thing, so with that said i will finish with this, we went to iraq and did what needed to be done and it was a honorable thing, go see for yourself if you dont beleive me /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

9. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

i have to disagree with you here, things are getting out of control because the Army caint do there job, im not bashing the Army, i have friends in it and my father is a retired medic from the 82nd, however they no longer have the basic tools for doing what they are trying to do, thats why we are sending more Marines back to get it under control, I will GARANTEE you that once we start taking AOs back over its going to settle down, you need to remember though that any hoodgie with a rifle can make cnn

10. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

[quote
    Wow /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Another person who thinks by what is reported in the media is what is actually going on. Furthermore, your comparision is not only weak, it just plain sucks.

Do you even have a clue exactly what happened?

Do you actually talk to troops over there?

Do you even actually know anything about the Vietnam war?

If your initial post is all you have, you may want to show yourself to the door on this topic real fast. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    perhaps my comparason to vietnam wasnt justified.
    My age clearly shows that i dont know what im talking about when it comes to that.
    Moving on.
    Im sick of hearing about soldiers dieing every day. Are you not? Do you enjoy it? perhaps your mentality is that Ends Justify the Means?

11. jekbrown

[ QUOTE ]
    I personally think our job is done there.

[/ QUOTE ]

thats what the allies thought after WWI, and WWII was the direct result... not good. nation building is a PITA, but ya have to do it, the alternatives suck.

j

12. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

[ QUOTE ]
    perhaps your mentality is that Ends Justify the Means?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I can tell ya this. So far all the responses you have gotten are from veterans. From the cherry asshat newbie to the combat arms peace time cav trooper to the f'n jarhead that just returned from Iraq mixing it up with them. Pretty good cross section of experience there to draw from.

As for me being sick of hearing about soldiers dying everyday, yes I'm sick of it. I've got friends over there and hope I don't read his name in the KIA list, but I also know that if I did, he died doing his job.

BEGIN PROFANITY LACED TIRADE........

What I'm fawking sick of is the fawking major dumbfawk media in this country doing their fawking damdest to bring down a president through their bullshit reporting of the way things are over there.

Here's all I hear when I turn on the ABC Nightly News (no cable/sat), "3 soldiers died when their roadside checkpoint was carbombed. Meanwhile, Sen. Ted Kennedy stated that the President lied to the American people about the justification of war."

That's all anyone hears from this fawking asshats. These fawkwads don't report on what our soldiers are doing over their unless it involves violence. Nothing about the rebuilding the infastructure, nothing about them helping the people out and nothing from the troops themselves on what they are doing, unless they are a bunch of whiny fawktards from 3rd ID (which makes me sick as crap since I was in that unit) whining about being over there.............................

Furtherfawkingmore, do you hear anything that comes from outside of Baghdad? Very rarely. We have people all over the place over there, but these chickenshit candyasses apparently think the whole story is in Baghdad.

Have you heard about the Army Lt. Col (thanks sapper for pointing out the Army is fawking up, this is a good case of it) that's up on charges for popping a cap in the ground near a prisoner because the Lt. Col. was trying to get info from this ass so he could save some lives? Outside of two articles, one in the newspaper, and one on the Internet, I haven't heard crap.

It sucks that obviously you are an impressionable young man, and what you hear only comes from the major media, and these asshats have an agenda that's dishonorable............................

/forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

13. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    It sucks that obviously you are an impressionable young man, and what you hear only comes from the major media, and these asshats have an agenda that's dishonorable............................

/forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    i think most youth are impressionable

and since im not there i rely on the media to provide the play by play...and i agree its biased.

14. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Iraq is absoulitly nothing like Vietnam. Nor is it headed even remotly in the same direction.
    If we fought this war like Vietnam we would still be in Kuwait Sending troops in to take towns like Basra. Then just pick up our dead and leave. Then go back in the next day fight and die just to do it all over again.

WE own Iraq. It cost vrey few American lives to free Iraq in a decisive millitary victory. I hope we stay there a long while. Who cares if a few malcontents dont like it. We are at war after all.
    Unfornuatly people die in war.
    We have had troops in Germany and Japan for almost 60 years now.Even after WW2 was over there were and have been many American casulities from die hard Nazis ect, taking pot shots at them. No one seems to complain about that too much.

[ QUOTE ]
    Someone add it up. See how long we can last there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's a little math for ya....
    2 solders a day x 1500 days(about 4 years) = 3000. Roughly the same ammount of innocent people killed in an instant on 9/11
    Our continued presence in Iraq, Afganistan, and other hot beds of terrorism is insurance that a horror like 9/11 hopefully will never happen again.
    I may sound a little harsh. But I believe fighting the war in our enemy's back yard is far preferable to fighting him in ours. Or would you perfer that your children have be taken to school in armoured vehicles?
    Or having to wear body armour to the mall?

Oh BTW California's murder rate in 2002 was over 1842 killings
    If it keeps up at that rate there will soon be no one left /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif
    I believe more Americans have been killed in Oakland Ca. this year than have been killed in Bagdad. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
    Where's the Outrage??

15. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I think we pulled out to early. I think we should have kept our full forces there till we had every last one of those pricks in that deck of cards. I think we should have stayed to do a door to door search of every building there and took every wepon we found. I think Iraq should have too pay us for everything, hell, they have the oil.

16. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

[ QUOTE ]
    I think we pulled out to early.

[/ QUOTE ]

We did? That's news to me.................

17. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

and another thing. iraq was harboring and financing terrorism, and openly praised the 9/11 attacks. there was a major Al queda (yea, so what if i cant spell?!) cell operating in Iraq with Sodomy Hussein's knowledge and approval.

its gonna be a long, trying time until we're truly done in iraq. BUT, if we DON'T fully finish things (ie, pull out of iraq leaving no infrastructure, government, education system, etc), to the arab community, we're gonna look like arrogant Christian assholes who are trying to destroy islam. i think its probably a good idea to be friends with all them, cause they have the oil. after all, trucks won't run without fuel...

personally, i say we turn the place into a parking lot, take their oil, and be done with the whole terrorism thing, but they dont call me an extreme conservative for nuthin...

my two cents /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

18. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

You must be educated by CNN or something. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif
    [ QUOTE ]
    I think we pulled out to early.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Pulled out of what? The invasion forces went in and then the releave troops showed up.
    [ QUOTE ]
    I think we should have kept our full forces there till we had every last one of those pricks in that deck of cards.

[/ QUOTE ]
    See last remark.
    [ QUOTE ]
    I think we should have stayed to do a door to door search of every building there and took every wepon we found.

[/ QUOTE ]
    So what the [darn] do do You think our Guys are doing over there? They sure as hell aint playing fawken hopscootch.
    [ QUOTE ]
    I think Iraq should have too pay us for everything, hell, they have the oil.

[/ QUOTE ]
    You ever stop to think why there is such an urgency to get the oil pipe line back up and runing agine over there?
    /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

19. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

The thing that bothers me most is the lying by the President that got us there. He said that Iraq was a direct and immediate threat to our safety in the USA. No, Iraq isn't, god damn terrorist are. Now they are trying to link the terrorist's to Iraq, ummm, hello, approx. 15 9/11 terrorist were Saudi Arabian, why aren't we attacking them? What about the weapons of mass destruction? Also one of the main reasons we went to fight there, but what have we found???

Anyways, why should our soldiers die in Iraq, how does that secure our freedom and liberty? Maybe you conservitives should look over the Patriot Act and Patriot Act 2 and tell me that is not a direct threat to our freedom and liberties??? /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif Talk about garbage, why don't we just void the Constitution and the Bill of Rights.

Why is it if we are doing something so right and so justified, we are virtually alone in fighting the war? I would think other free thinking people of the world would be able to see it if we can, but what, are they all idiots and we are the smartest damn people in the world?

IMPEACH BUSH, our only appointed president, hail to the thief!

20. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

Also, why does the reason for the war change constantly? If it was about terrorists, why wasn't that the reason given before the war.

If it was about the people, why wasn't that the reason given before the war.

Only after the initial lies back fired did they change the story. And they keep changing it and changing it and changing it.

Our president had the oppurtunity to lead a United America after 9/11 and he screwed it up. People were joining together and there was more patriotism in America than ever before. But the lying and deciet has ruined it.

The only thing I know for sure is that Americans are dying over there. And for what? You know what, I don't care about the Iraqis, I care about Americans. Charity starts at home, and there are plenty of things f'd up around here.