Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

irock's or tsl's

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by chebbykrawler, Oct 13, 2005.

1. chebbykrawler

chebbykrawler Registered Member

I am lookling into buying a new set of tires for my 87 chevy blazer, i am currently running 35-1450-15's with a 4 inch lift and cut fenders, was wonatin to go a little bigger, i have two choice

irok 37-14-15's
    tsl 38.5-16-15's
    does anyone runn the iroks and how do they perform in the rocks as well as the mud.

what would you guys recomend the tsl's or the irok's

any help appreciated

2. skelly1

skelly1 1/2 ton status

I have the same issue but I decided to go with the IROK's. I want 36 IROK's Bias ply, no real reason but they are cool. TSL's are looking pretty good with their old school style and all, but the IROK's are also looking pretty cheap (relatively) and a lot of vendor's have my size.

3. big94gmc

big94gmc 1/2 ton status

I have grooved TSL's (44's), and am neither satisfied nor dissatisfied with them. I'd like to switch over to 42" Iroks, mostly just to try something new. Go with the Iroks, if for no other reason, they'll be a few dollars cheaper, comparatively speaking, and they seem to be the best of all worlds.

4. pismorat

pismorat 1/2 ton status

I was thinking TSL's just cause I drive on the street a bit. Don't the IROK's wear faster?

5. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

i have ran both tsl's and iroks and i like the iroks way better. they ride smoother they are quieter. and do every bit as good in the mud if not better then the tsl's did. im sure you would like the iroks better also :D :D

6. big94gmc

big94gmc 1/2 ton status

They would wear about the same.... You'd be hard pressed to get more then 10,000 street driven miles on either tire.

7. blazerpro79

blazerpro79 1/2 ton status

their are radial versions of both, you may want to consider looking in to those.

8. TX_GLADIATOR

TX_GLADIATOR Registered Member

i just put a set of 44 TSL's and went out last weekend & very impresed TSL's for me or 47'' LTB's :D

9. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Iroks are good and sticky and have a nifty high tech tread design that really grips. They also have thin-from-the-factory tread depth and relatively short life expectancy due to that high void tread.

TSLs are basically the opposite... old school tread (time proven!), deeper tread depth and they will live (relatively) longer.

Personally, it comes down to a cost issue. If I could afford to buy new sets of Iroks all the time, I'd run them. I'm poor and can't though, so I'd rather stick with TSLs.

j

10. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

There is only .093" differance between 42" bias IROKs and TSLs.I cant say that would ever sway me one way or the other on a tire choice :D

I have 42-14-16.5 bias IROKs.I got them cuz they stick like glue on the rocks.

11. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

I have seen 2 trucks with about the same setup try a obstacle, one had 42" TSL's the other had 39.5" iroks, irok truck walked right up. I was sold at that point.
    I am currently saving up for iroks in the 42" variety.
    Ow this was in the rocks by the way, dont do much mud here.

Also iroks are alot light then a TSL.

12. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

39.5's yes, 42's no