Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

irok tire long tern use what do you think? ? ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sweetk30, Apr 28, 2007.

?

iroks how do you like them overall?

1. 100% happy

5 vote(s)
    13.9%
  2. 75% happy

6 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. 50/50 toss up ?

5 vote(s)
    13.9%
  4. 25% not to well

1 vote(s)
    2.8%
  5. i have rubber lube all over me as i am niked . . . .

19 vote(s)
    52.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

i want to know what you think of your irok tires after long term use?

radial or bias tires?

milage for street driving?

ride on street driving?

and off road use and what kind of off road use?

then overall in the poll section please. mulitiple choice poll for the irok owner and also niked guy/gal in you.

if you would please answer in that order and then make any coments last that would be great. as i hope this makes a long term thread. cause most people seem to ask about iroks and how thay perform. thanks.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2007
  2. K5Greek

K5Greek 1/2 ton status

i have no experience but want to suscribe, im intrested in these tires too

3. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

i only drove mine on the street for like 1500 miles before i sold them (stepping up in size) and they didnt look to have much wear at all. the rig had front and rear detroits, so i was going to rotate them every 2k miles (everyother rotation would have the tread pattern reversed) but got rid of them before.

on the street, they drove amazing. they were 39.5x13.50 on 15x10's and i never balanced them and they drove up to 75mph w/o and issues. they were super smooth, and i loved them.

i tested them out on the trails with some mud and they were great. however i did drop into a 3.5 foot deep mud pit and couldnt make. however i was always able to back out of it. they were also very good in sand.

im looking to get 42's for my next tire. the only thing i didnt like about the 39.5's i had was that they would balloon on the 15x10's, and the tread depth on them is only like 19/32th instead of 24/32th like the 42's.

DSCN0549.JPG

beach 2.jpg

4. MEK5

MEK5 1/2 ton status

I have no experience with the iroks other then wanting to buy a set of 39s for about a year now and reading anything I could find about them.

Heres what Ive gathered:

They are great offroad
    They ride nice down the road,even unbalanced
    They look cool

They wear out FAST on a street driven truck.
    They are pricey for the little mileage you get from them!

I ran into a Jeep guy with the 36s and he had 1,000 street miles on them,the rear looked fine but the front had very noticable wear.Everytime you turn your scrubbing the rubber off.

The soft compound is what makes these tires so great for everything but lasting.

5. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

This is what I've observed with the two rigs I wheel with that have the 42s.

6. RockinChevy

RockinChevy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Sweetk30, which type of tire are you referring to, bias or radial? Also nobody else posted up either bias or radial. I decided to go bias Iroks instead of SSR radials for the price but I am curious as well of DD mileage on them.

7. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I've decided to go SSR radial due to these very concerns..

Mine sees a ton of street use and I felt the older SSR compound would hold up better than the new, softer Irok compound..

8. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

Yeah the SSR and IROK(especially bias) are 2 different animals.

9. muddybuddy

mine were bias

10. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

sorry i added radial or bias. but my self looking at radials.

11. RockinChevy

RockinChevy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

cool, I'm choosing the Iroks for the price and the thicker sidewalls for rocks. I'm told it's possible to get at least 20K miles as a DD. If I'm easy on it, I could make them last as long as SSRs but I guess I'll find out for myself.

12. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I have 39.5 in a bias tire and I love them off road I don't drive it much on the street but they go down the road pretty well for a bias tire, they will wear out fast if you burn alot of pavement. I don't have that many miles on mine but have several freinds with them once you hit half tread, if you are pavement pounding alot, kiss them good bye. Off road the only thing I haven't been in is deep snow and I love the performance.

13. makovai

makovai 1/2 ton status

I have only put bout 800 miles on mine so i cant really give a good wear review. These are 42" bias and they develope pretty bad flat spot extremely quick. Takes bout 10 minutes of driving to shape up again. Hotter days they get flat quicker but they also seem to round up quicker as well. Other than that complaint i have none at all.

I voted 75%, as just be sure you take a wiz b4 you first get in :haha:

[​IMG]

14. muddybuddy

well all bias tires are going to flat spot ;)

great lookin truck as always!

15. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I dont own a set but I have wheeled with a fair number of guys who own them. My experience/opinion is based TOTALLY on rockcrawling.

IMO they are a good tire for the money for rocks. They chunk up pretty hard on heavy rigs with lots of tire spinnage. On a crawler that wheels alot in the rocks I would only expect 1.5-2 seasons on a set MAX.

IMO IROK's don't really start to perform well until you get to the bigger sizes like 39.5-42". A friend of mine had the 36" Iroks and they did not impress me at ALL. IMO his 36" IROK's didn't hook up any better then my MTR's.

I personally have never really liked the IROK's since they came out. IMO a grooved TSL will hookup as well or better then an IROK and chunk less doing it. For a total dedicated crawler I would personally find a set of used comp tires like Krawlers or Creepy's.

For what your question seems to pertain to of street & offroad I think an IROK is a good choice. I would probably just get BIAS since they should be tougher. They might not last quite as long but the bias IRoks seem to do ok on the street and are tougher for the trails.

Harley

16. SUPERSUB87

SUPERSUB87 1/2 ton status

do ya'll think the radials will last any longer on the street than the bias???

i made the mistake of buying 18" rims and the irok's are the only decently priced tire that goes above 40" inches.

17. makovai

makovai 1/2 ton status

its a harder compound the have to wear better. :confused: i think.

mine have almost 2000 miles on them now and are holding fine. but the paint shaker impression they do for the first 10 miles is really starting to get to me.

18. ShiftyK5

ShiftyK5 1/2 ton status

Anymore irok reviews? i will be needing a 2nd set of tires not for DD use to go on some beadlocks.

was considering these in the 36x13.50 size or the 37x14.00 size in bias.

will be used just as my play around set

kinda in a toss up between irok/bogger/tsl

19. destinbeachman

destinbeachman 1/2 ton status

Got the 42's on my trail(drive it a bit on the street) rig.They are great on the street,in the boonies,everywhere.I don't really expect to get a whole lot of mileage out of them,though.They are so soft.You can push hard with your thumb and distort the lugs and bend them over a lot.My first experience with a compound that soft.Cool and scary at the same time:crazy: -Allen

20. ShiftyK5

ShiftyK5 1/2 ton status

seems like we have lots of people in this thread with rubber lube all over them.................