Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Iroks, SSR's, or Trxus

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ramses, Dec 5, 2005.

1. ramses

ramses 1/2 ton status

Im getting new tires this week and I just cant decide what I want. Ive narrowed it down to the Super Swamper Radial Irok, SSR, or Trxus. All are offered in the 37inch size I want and the Irok is also offered in a 36x13.50 im thinking about too. I have 35 inch Trxus tires now and my only problem is that they didnt last long enough, I got a year and a half out of them and theyre pretty wore down, I could squeeze it to 2 years maybe but I have to have really good tires in the winter. I need some opinions. I need to pick the tire that is good in the snow and wears good on the highway because my truck is my daily driver. Do Iroks and SSR's do very well in the snow and ice? The Iroks dont look like they have much if any siping for snow traction. My Trxus's are unbelievably good in the snow, id put them up against any tire when theyre new. And will the SSR and Irok wear any better than the Trxus? Noise is of no concern to me and offroad use isnt either besides snow because any of the 3 will work for what I need.

2. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

i'd say the trxus would last the longest between those three. they probly will do the best in the snow/ice. i know iroks/SSRs do good in powder, but neither do good on icy roads. i'd say irok's would wear out the fastest, followed by the SSR's. for what you want, i think the trxus are gonna be the best choice of the three.

3. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I would seriously doubt the Irok's or SSR's would last any longer than the Trxus would (sad considering the Trxus doesn't last very long). The Trxus MT's do very good in the snow and ice........much better than I expected as compared to other mud-terrain radials I have ran in the past (BFG MT's, Goodyear MT/R's, etc...).

4. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

My SSR's are lookin to get around 24k. Im at about 12 now. Thats assuming that the second half wears like the first did, but Ive heard some of the other swampers wear slower on the second half of the tread, so who knows. Havent had any experience with the other two, have 'heard' the IROKS wear pretty quick, and I dont know anyone w/ the trxus, so I cant say.

My SSR's do pretty good in rain, and only had em in snow once (only time the truck was running and we had snow lol), did pretty good, but we had like 24" on the road and amazingly no freezing rain, so it kind of held you in.

5. ramses

ramses 1/2 ton status

Well my Trxus's were at or below half tread at 8,000 miles, so if the SSR's last that long then that would be an improvement. I think I could squeeze maybe 12,000 miles out of them total if I used them until they were useless, which is not really enough for a daily driver. I need at least a 20,000 mile tire. Ive been told before that the SSR's last over 20,000 miles so im leaning towards them right now.