Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

IROK's vs BOGGERS

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by chevy_tuff, Mar 31, 2005.

1. chevy_tuff

chevy_tuff Registered Member

hey, ive got a 73 blazer with 40"s mickey thompson baha belted(useless tires) on right now. im debating between 39.5 x13.5x15" IROKs, or 39.5x18.5x15" boggers. my truck is a mud bogger, and thats about it, but i drive it every day to school and back. im wondering if i should get the iroks as they would have much better handling on the road than the boggers. im wondering how they would compare for perfomance in the mud. what do you guys think? are the boggers gonna demolish the iroks in the mud?

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

boggers are the king of the mud pit but they wear very fast on the street. i run iroks and they do very good in the mud and good on the street also. you cant beat the boggers in the mud but the irok is a better ALL AROUND tire :D

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

You may also want too consitter Ground Hawgs. Great in the mud, and hold up pretty damn well on the streets.

4. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

If I had to choose between a Bogger or Irok for the situation you described, I would pick an Irok. They will last a lot longer on the street and do real well in the mud.

5. OffRoad

OffRoad 1/2 ton status

that's easy. keep you baja belted tires for the street. buy some cheap wheels and stick on boggers for the mud. you're the king in both areas!

6. ratzila

ratzila 1/2 ton status

:waytogo:

7. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Id like to see some testing info proving the "the iroks will last longer on the street" theory... just looking at the tread patern, the irok has a LOT of void in it, its tread has less depth to start with, and the rubber compound is supposed to be soft/sticky. None of that adds up to long street wear. I don't have either one... just pointing out what seems like a common sense comparison between the two.

j

8. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

i have about 60% tread left after a years worth of street driveing with my 36x13.5x15 iroks. :D

9. jekbrown

ok, now buy a set of boggers, run them for a year on the exact same rig and terrain and report back! :)

j

10. RingMaster4x4

RingMaster4x4 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Like jekbrown said from what I have heard the Iroks have a really soft rubber and shorter tread deapth. I would go with the boggers, but then again you have to decide what you want more better ride on the road or better off-road abilty.

BTW: I have 2.5 years on my ground hawgs with 50ish% tread :D :p:

11. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I can't provide you with any testing info, but I can provide you with real world experience. A friend of mine had 38" Boggers on an '87 K10 and another had 33" Boggers on a new Dodge. Both were street driven daily and the tires lasted only a few months. My brother has 36" Iroks on his Suburban and he drove from his house to my house and back, which is about 1820 miles, and they showed no noticable loss of tread even after about 6 months of driving. Both friends that had Boggers had only a little more than that on theirs and they were close to bald. The Iroks provided a smooth ride for an 1800 mile trip with no tread loss - that's good enough for me.

12. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

I don't know if IROK makes a radial in your size but i know they make radials... something boggers will never do.

It sounds like the regular iroks last longer than swampers anyway.

13. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

Every time this comes up, Z3PR chimes in on the Ground Hawgs. I wonder what kind of tire he runs :grin:

No disrespect Z3PR, I completely agree with you. Those things wear like Iron. I had them on my pickup for three years.

-Chris

14. jekbrown

surprising and interesting, thanks for posting your experience. I guess the rubber compounds they use in the two must be a LOT different... cause otherwise Im sure the bogger would last longer. To bad Interco doesnt use cool trademark names for its different compounds... then we'd know for sure. ;)

j

15. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

so about 2000 miles on the boggers and they were close to bald? that just doesnt make sense to me. i could imagine maybe 10-15k, but 2? i've seen trucks in my area that have had the same set of boggers on for years, parked in the street. i can tell they've worn some, but treads are still plenty deep i doubt they only get driven a 100 miles a year.

i agree with keeping your mickeys and getting another set of rims. especially if you have to drive a good distance to school. in that case get the boggers since they are king of mud.

16. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

2000 miles for a swamper? reminds me of lifted trucks at my local drag strip doing 10 second burnouts with 38" swampers...

17. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Actually the guy with the 38's ran his until they were bald and he got a bit under 8,000 miles out of his. The Dodge that had the 33's had about 3,500 miles on them with under half the tread left so he sold them.

I'm not sure on mud tires exactly how things work, but on semi truck tires there are more factors than rubber compound that will determine the tires life expectancy. The tread style will affect how long a tire will last also, and if the tire wears evenly or not, with tight interlocked tread tires lasting the longest and wearing more even. I would think that the "paddle tire" tread design of the Bogger is more of a reason why it wears fast rather than tread compound.

18. jekbrown

yeah but the problem in this comparison is that the Irok starts with a shallower tread. It has a LOT more void in the tread pattern and lastly its shoulder design looks as if its inspired by the bogger (well, cut boggers) so I really don't see how tread-type could be so much of a factor here.

j

19. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

if i wqas going to shell out the coin for new shooes then would want to go different.

The Rocker "Extreme Off-Road"
    [​IMG]

20. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

i have about 15,000 on my iroks and they are about 70% tread :D :D