Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

iron chest, tin cup, tomichi pass - how tough?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by txbartman, Apr 1, 2002.

1. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I am planning a trip to Colorado - Buena Vista area last week of July. Looking to run some moderate trails in the area. Nothing too hardcore as I will be with only the family and a long way from Dallas.

A book I have rates these trails as "Difficult". How bad are they really? Are these ones I could or should not tackle alone?

Anyone interested in joining us for a run or two during that week? Nothing hardcore, just taking my family to see the sights. They have never seen real mountains before. Would love to meet some of y'all. I will ask again as we get within a couple of weeks.

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Iron Chest isn't full-size friendly. But Tin Cup and Tomichi aren't too tough. Beautiful scenery in the area. The trip to the top of Mt. Antero is pretty awesome. It isn't a difficult trail but you can drive up to around 13,000 feet above sea level. The views are incredible. The trail starts just a short distance east of St. Elmo. There are a lot of very scenic trips in that part of the state!

We've had a pretty light year for snow, so all the trails will probably be open by mid-July. I've been stopped by snow at the top of Tincup Pass on July 4th in the past. We've talking about 10 feet of hard-packed snow, with a 45 degree or so slope. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif I watched a guy on a dirt bike try to go though, but he and the bike ended up sliding a couple of hundred feet down the mountain. We decided that it was probably a good idea to just head back towards St. Elmo. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Will you be passing through Colorado Springs on the way to Buena Vista?

3. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info. One of the first trails I was planning was the run to Mt Antero. I have backpacked up nearly all the collegiates (in my younger days). I was looking forward to having the family hike the last bit up Antero and make a fourteener.

We will not be heading through Colorado Springs. Plan to come up through Pueblo on 25 and then cut over to Salida and so forth. Will be coming through the NE corner of NM through Capulin and stuff on our way up from Amarillo and Dallas.

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Another nice trail is to continue straight, towards Baldwin Lakes, instead of taking the left turn across the creek to head up to Antero.

I lived in Houston before moving to Colorado, so I've done your road trip many times. There's a nice shortcut just outside Amarillo that takes you through some red rock country, instead of just staring at more pool-table-flat cotton fields. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif Take 40 west out of Amarillo and then turn right on FM 2381. After a few miles, it joins up with FM 1061. Take a left there and cruise until you hit 385. Turn right on 385 and head towards Hartley. You'll rejoin 87 at Hartley. It kinda breaks up the monotony of the trip and you get to miss the traffic in Dumas. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif Also, the Capulin Volcano National Monument is a neat place to kill a couple of hours along that trip. It's only about 8 miles off the main highway.

Let me know when you have your schedule firmed up. I live about 2 hours from Buena Vista. Maybe we can hook up and do some wheelin' one weekend while you're up this way.

5. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I haven't done this trip in probably 10 years. But I do remember doing that cutoff. I always remember going by Capulin, but never stopped there.