Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Irrigation Systems Help Anybody

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by chalet2506, Mar 17, 2007.

1. chalet2506

chalet2506 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Long story short - My sprinklers don't work, haven't since I've lived here. I Called a buddy who used to do some irrigation and he came over and took a look-see. It's an old Toro hydraulic with one of these.[​IMG]

I've got water to it, but can't get the control valves to work. I don't know if it's the valves, or the controller, but I'm thinking its that valves.

I've probed with a postole digger out to about 40 feet from the main water line, and haven't come across any valves. Is there anyway to find them without having to dig up the whole f'n yard?

I'm done for the day and plan on having a few beers and thinking on it a little before I get back at it tomorrow.

2. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Wow that thing is stone age. :eek1: Try digging down where the lines go out of the house and follow them. Somewhere around where those lines come out there should be a valve box buried with your valves in it. You couldn't run those hydraulic lines very far underground without conduit. So usually the valves were located near the controller.

3. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    Um, before digging did you check to see if you have power out to the valves in the control box? Most are 24 volt. Knowing how many wires you have going out will also tell you how many valves your looking for.
    Got a metal detector around?

4. chalet2506

It won't work with a hydraulic system. The valves are operated by hydraulic pressure lines, not electric switches. So there is no wire in the ground. When my buddy came over he brought his line finder. Then he took one look at the controller and said "your focked"

5. chalet2506

That's what I was wondering. The water supply and control box are on 2 opposite ends of the house. Looks like I'm probing from the wrong way.

6. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

When the controller turns on a valve does it bleed any water out?
    To keep the valve closed. When off, the valve is fed normal water pressure on top of the diaphram.
    When the controller is activated, a small amount of water is bled off the top of the diaphram though the tubes and allows the valve to open. So when the controler activates a valve it should be bleeding water out the line that comes back from the valve. Disconnecting the lines from a valve from the back of the controler should open the valve.
    If no water is coming out of the line that goes to the valve the valve may not be getting any water. If so look for another turn on valve for your sprinkler system.

7. chalet2506

I've got water in the system, and water in the control box. I know this because one of the lines was busted in the conduit where the control lines come out of the house. I spliced it back together, but I still couldn't get more than one valve to operate. Soo, I dug up about a hundred foot of control line(way to much to be buried bare like that) and found 3 of the valves together. I've got a pretty good idea which sprinklers belong together on a station, so I'll dig up all the water line around these 3 valves and figure out which one controls station. Then, I figure I'm just going to get an electronic controller and fit in new electronic valves. Less dinero for parts and I'll have basically a new system.