Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Is 1000 Amps too much for a 12-Volt Rear End???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rigdonhome, May 31, 2003.

1. rigdonhome

rigdonhome 1/2 ton status

Used BIGFOOT Electric Truck at Garage Sale, Dead Batteries: $3.

Used 1000 CCA Car Battery Sitting Around Garage: $0.

Watching Your 2.5 Year Old Son Try to Drive BIGFOOT through an 8' Privacy Fence (and Nearly Succeed)... Priceless!

With all the extra weight in the front and the 'slicks' on the back, the extra power, and the Boy's Genetic Predisposition for 'Lettin'er Eat', this thing just spins most of the time in the grass but really hauls when it finally takes root. Plus it runs all day without needing recharged!!!

Any bets on how long those little motors last before they burn up??? The wiring sure gets hot under the dash after he hits a wall and just sits there with it 'To the Wood' watching the tires spin!!! It will even spin the tires with my 230-Pound Giant Carcass on it!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

/forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

2. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

LOL, thats cute, i had a bigfoot like that when i was young, in the 80's early 90's, blue, old school style. id figure they'd probly handle that, after all its just juice and that is all the motor uses is just juice, i dont think it damages the motor, might damage the switches tho, but that is a nice power unit ther /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

3. rigdonhome

[ QUOTE ]
    LOL, thats cute, i had a bigfoot like that when i was young, in the 80's early 90's, blue, old school style. id figure they'd probly handle that, after all its just juice and that is all the motor uses is just juice, i dont think it damages the motor, might damage the switches tho, but that is a nice power unit ther /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Cool! It was actually my SON that INSISTED that I somehow reuse and reattach the Chrome Engine off the original hood... That's why it's now on top of the battery!!! I'm so proud... :TearsofJoy:

/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

4. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

that is cool i have always wanted to get my kids one of those /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. speed_deed

speed_deed 1/2 ton status

I bought my little brother a four wheeler one 2 years ago. Since the hi low gears on it really just feed it more power in the things I wired it up with a lawn tractor battery and made it a full time high. My little brother ran it so hard that he wore out the plastic gears inside the wheels and burned up the motors. Not to hard to replace the motors I just go down to the appliance parts center and bought new motors. Thankfully I had two extra power wheels fourwheelers laying here so I just used those gears when he broke them off. I started to convert it to 4 wheel drive I just have to go wire it up and it will be done thankfully he hasnt been asking about it much since he got a bicycle bought the little thing flies when he rides it. I ride it around too I took it flying over our linoleum floor and broke a cabinet and two dog cood dishes. Their pretty fun for the kids to ride. The guy at my appliance parts store says he can make them go every bit of 18 m.p.h.

6. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

A 4x4 power wheel Bigfoot....that's is just too cool! Put some rubber ATV tires on it!

7. ZooMad75

ZooMad75 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

/forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gifLOL!!!! That was too funny. My son has a power wheels heep that we got him. It came stock with dual 6v batteries. HMMMMMM, I got a 1000 cca battery sittin in the garage......Hey little buddy have I got something for you to try......

You may want to strap that 1000 amp battery down to the bigfoot. If the boy hits anything hard enough that thing is going to pop out!

8. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

hmm the good ol days... i useta have a fire truck bigwheels, complete with the little spraydeal on top... good ol days

9. rigdonhome

[ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gifLOL!!!! That was too funny. My son has a power wheels heep that we got him. It came stock with dual 6v batteries. HMMMMMM, I got a 1000 cca battery sittin in the garage......Hey little buddy have I got something for you to try......

You may want to strap that 1000 amp battery down to the bigfoot. If the boy hits anything hard enough that thing is going to pop out!

[/ QUOTE ]

Bought All-Purpose Bungee Straps (Battery Hold-Downs)Today! I have that battery in there pretty good but this thing hauls and when he hits the Clubhouse or other immovable object at full-speed it'll heave the battery nearly out! But what good would I be to him if I wasn't around to keep Fixing the Stuff he Breaks??? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Good Call.

Cheers,
    Scott

10. rigdonhome

[ QUOTE ]
    I bought my little brother a four wheeler one 2 years ago. Since the hi low gears on it really just feed it more power in the things I wired it up with a lawn tractor battery and made it a full time high. My little brother ran it so hard that he wore out the plastic gears inside the wheels and burned up the motors. Not to hard to replace the motors I just go down to the appliance parts center and bought new motors. Thankfully I had two extra power wheels fourwheelers laying here so I just used those gears when he broke them off. I started to convert it to 4 wheel drive I just have to go wire it up and it will be done thankfully he hasnt been asking about it much since he got a bicycle bought the little thing flies when he rides it. I ride it around too I took it flying over our linoleum floor and broke a cabinet and two dog cood dishes. Their pretty fun for the kids to ride. The guy at my appliance parts store says he can make them go every bit of 18 m.p.h.

[/ QUOTE ]

You need to hook me up with your Appliance Parts Store Guy!!! 18mph is HAULING when you're only 2!!! The Boy is already Ramming into stuff just for the Sheer Joy of Ramming into Stuff, but at 18mph I would have to consider some 5-Point Harnesses I think... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Cheers,
    Scott

11. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

If only my rents were so awesome when I was little.

12. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I replaced the 2 puny 6 volt batteries in my daughters power wheels Jeep with a single 12 volt gel cell meant for a electric wheelchair. It still only does 5 or 6 mph but it eats rear tires./forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    It used to go almost a week of driving before needing a re-charge too. The best part was the wheelchair battery fit under the seat easily...

Rene

13. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

ah the good old Power Wheels, one of my friends in elementry school had one. We thought it was soo cool to drive around the block in it, we used to have little truck pulls whith em hook bumpers and go. Needless to saw the little things never did last long... /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

14. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif I might have to try that to my daughters, her batteries are dead and for the price of new ones it might be cheaper to buy a car battery. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    i dont think it damages the motor, might damage the switches tho

[/ QUOTE ]

It won't dammage anything. No matter how big the capacity of the supply current is, the motor, wiring and switches will only use what it needs. The difference is that it will go much longer between charges and the motor will not strain as much going up hill. I would use a dry type such as Gell Cells though in case he tips it over. Don't want battery acid anywhere but in the battery. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. rigdonhome

[ QUOTE ]
    I replaced the 2 puny 6 volt batteries in my daughters power wheels Jeep with a single 12 volt gel cell meant for a electric wheelchair. It still only does 5 or 6 mph but it eats rear tires./forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    It used to go almost a week of driving before needing a re-charge too. The best part was the wheelchair battery fit under the seat easily...

Rene

[/ QUOTE ]

Someone else mentioned GelPak batteries... Where do you get them??? Is there some Poor Old Man/Woman down the street from you that has to wheel around in his/her chair without batteries now??? /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

(I'm not above it, I just wondered...)

Cheers,
    Scott

17. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Wal Mart has em in their battery aisle, but I got ours at one of the big parts stores here. It ran me about $50 US and has lasted 4 years so far. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

My daughter has rolled and crashed the Jeep many times so having a gel cell was probably a good idea./forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

We got the power Wheels Jeep for really cheap because it was a warranty return and didn't come with a charger. I already had a 12 volt charger at home so even having to buy the Gel Cell it was still a bargain.

Rene

18. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    My daughter has rolled and crashed the Jeep many times so having a gel cell was probably a good idea.

[/ QUOTE ]
    You have dun a good thing we all know that this is a problem with all jeeps /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    Watching Your 2.5 Year Old Son Try to Drive BIGFOOT through an 8' Privacy Fence (and Nearly Succeed)... Priceless!

[/ QUOTE ]

Be careful you have crated a monster and the age of 16 he will be looking for a d60 and bringing home old trucks for parts and have his own name on CK5 do I need to go on /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

19. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

Be careful you have crated a monster and the age of 16 he will be looking for a d60 and bringing home old trucks for parts and have his own name on CK5 do I need to go on /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that really such a bad thing? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

20. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

you guys got me thinkin... theres a pink barbie heep powerwheels in a junkpile on the side of the road right around the corner... might be the perfect thing to drag behind a truck in the mudhole... HEH