Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Is 12 microns small enough?

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by Pookster, Sep 7, 2004.

1. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Just wondering if a 12 micron final filtration is small enough for the injectors and pump?

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I run a 2 micron Racor... /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Rene

3. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Stanadyne doesnt even make anything smaller than 5 micron.?

Wonder what my stock model 80 filters down to.

4. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

The thickness of a human hair, on average, is about 200 microns.

Doesnt help you any though. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

I currently have the racor 900FG turbine- its about as big as a 2 liter soda bottle. I currently have this at 30 microns, (of course, I could switch it to two micron if necessary). I also have a wix filter and filter head setup that is at 12 microns.

its not been a problem because I've been running this summer with everything going through the stock filter- the stanadyne model 80- Which from the best I can tell has a 8micron rating.

in addition to that, the model 80 has a lot of nifty ports- Not just an in or out, but an in, out, drain, and water. Exactly what is inside this brick, i just dont know. I can hypothesize why each hole is located where it is (the in and out are near the top, and the water and drain are near the bottom).

I would like to bypass the stock filter, when running on my veggie oil, but this model 80 is slightly more anoying than the other filters offered with the 6.2
    Im assuming I could cut the hard line from the stock filter to the injection pump, but that just seems... unwise.

Conversely, I dont clearly see any plumbing lines cause their all under the intake manifold. im thinking I could insert a filter inbetween the in and out ports. The water and drain (could) possibly just be another fitting somewhere that allows water to drain out- However the "water" fitting might go to the in dash "Service fuel filter" indicator light. Mind you, even when my filter was clogged, the indicator light did not come on.

So I wonder if I could just connect the "water" and "drain" ports together, and call it a day?