Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Is 4 Wheel Parts Wholesalers going broke??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jwduke, Feb 23, 2004.

1. jwduke

jwduke 1/2 ton status

I just tried to order some Carr super II hoop steps (Wife can't get in truck). Well the steps were $48.95, the shipping was $7.80, and their was a $50 crating charge! /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif Whats up with this??

2. MaxCrack

MaxCrack 1/2 ton status

$50 for boxing the things up for you? Jeez.

I don't know about going broke, but they did just close the store in Santa Clara, CA. They tried to make it sound like they were moving to San Jose, but there has been a store at the address they gave for the move for many years.

3. chev4life

chev4life 1/2 ton status

I noticed that, got some lights for cheap though at the closed santa clara store, wish they had more goodies but they either sold it or moved it. The store in San Jose has crappy parking, the other one rocked. Yeah WTF is with their fee's...you know their adds for tire/wheels combo's dont include mounting and balancing...now that is BS!

4. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Look at their frickin' tire prices!!! They are ridiculous/forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif Basically a store for poseurs and idiots that have more money than sense (which are not in short supply). There really isn't anything they carry worth a [darn] that you cannot find elsewhere for at least 25% less. Crappy customer service as well. One look at their website tells you they ain't nothing but a rip off artists /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif. Would you like to know what I really think? /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

John

5. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

Yeah, i bough my tires online. I was charged and all was cool. All of a sudden another charge went through???!!!
    I called them and was told that they charged me for that (my bad)in the tire balancing stuff(my technical term). The problem I had was that I NEVER AUTHORIZED IT. I called them and had them check on shipping status. I was going to have them remove it! The tires had shipped though so i ate the cost.

6. jacked_86chevyk10

jacked_86chevyk10 Registered Member

I HATE 4 WHEEL PARTS!!!! CAN U SAY OVERPRICED!!! but where can u buy cheap tires at? theres not "small" 4x4 shops round here in atlanta- theres 3 that i know of and they all blow!!!! help me out fellas

7. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Yeah, I hardly ever go to 4WP. They're a bunch of tools with poser rigs. They never have anything for the K5 in stock. But if I were going into the biz I would cater only to lifting Z71s, Superdutys etc since that's where the money is... /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

8. bigburban383

bigburban383 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I HATE 4 WHEEL PARTS!!!! CAN U SAY OVERPRICED!!! but where can u buy cheap tires at? theres not "small" 4x4 shops round here in atlanta- theres 3 that i know of and they all blow!!!! help me out fellas

[/ QUOTE ]

Buy a 4-wheeler magazine, they got lots of ads in there. I worked at a tire store, and our wholesalers didn't stock or couldn't get anything like swampers. Baja Claws were probably the most aggressive they could get. Check around where you live, maybe they are able to get them.

9. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    Its called "buyer be ware" .
    And once they have your cc # they can and will charge away !
    Try to pay with a USPS Money Order.

10. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

So you don't like the big chain's two stores (4WPW) and you don't like the small stores (4WD Parts Center, Sothern Jeeps, Offroad Customs, and the place at the end of my street I can't think of right now). Those are off the top of my head, I know there are more, there are at least 10 4WD stores around Atlanta. Maybe you could go to one of the custom places. Do you have specific problems w/ the stores or is it just that they all "suck"?

I am not saying any of these store are perfect, but I have seen two stores (one big, one small) on my side of town (Marietta area) that truly did suck and they both went out of business.

Without looking at recipts I have bought non-auto-parts-store stuff from about seven different places in and around Atlanta. The two I still spend money at are both on the East side of town, the 4WPW over there and 4WD Parts Center.

11. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

http://www.4wdpartscenter.com/
    As far as Atl goes that's the only place I deal with. Well almost. I live 4 miles from the Marietta chain place and I know somebody there. I will shop there just to help that person get the commision off my sale and no other reason. I do not like that company and their buisness practices otherwise. Stories like these run rampoed in all the 4wd boards. It's apparent that this is normal for them.

Kevin St Amant's is the ONLY shop that has busted his butt for the club I run with and done it for several years... Yes his shop gets slammed on a Saturday and it takes a while to ge served but his prices are better.

The Chain place pissed me off big time by showing up at a club meeting telling us how they intended to put him out of buisness. Then said how they were going to do this and that for the clubs....They did almost nothing. Kevin poped for and fed over 200people at the local clubs gathering where we cleaned 2 different OHV areas in one day and hauled out several tons of garbage including two VW's. Big J Bear hauld a large portion of one of those out in the back of his K5. That other place was asked to help out and they didn't

Online I deal with OffCamber, ORD and AZ Kickin. All have treated me very good. I can't say enough good about Bill and Bill jr at AZ. Stephen Watson has also been great on the products I have got from him. That Offcamber guy...he's ok. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

12. bigjbear

Good call on the link Grim, I should have done that.

13. atlantak-5er

atlantak-5er 1/2 ton status

Go to four wheel parts CENTER off of Buford hwy. This is not the chain. They have good prices.

14. bigjbear

[ QUOTE ]
    Go to four wheel parts CENTER off of Buford hwy. This is not the chain. They have good prices.

[/ QUOTE ]
    It is accually Four Wheel Drive (4WD) Parts Center. That is what Grim & I were talking about. The 4WPW over there is a lot better than the one on the Marietta side of town (I think the building is curssed-its in the old North GA 4WD building) and a member here works there. He will know what you are talking about.
    Should us ATL members keep this hijack going? /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

15. bigjbear

Basicly, the 2 best stores in the area are down the street from each other. They used to accually be on the same street untill Kevin moved into his new building.